Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 vs HW4 for resale in 2027... your thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys

We're about to update our Model 3 to a Model Y... the pricing here in Australia is great at the moment. Right now, we can opt for a HW3 Model Y with a $3,000 discount, or go for the latest batch which includes HW4, without the discount.

With some great advice from people on this forum, I've landed on the view that HW4 won't make a huge difference for standard Autopilot over the next couple of years. (Perhaps for Enhanced or FSD, it will.) So we're happy with HW3 from a functionality angle.

But I'm wondering about resale.

We'll be keeping this car until late 2027 (or even early 2028)... so around 3 and a bit years. By then, HW3 will be approaching its 8 year anniversary. HW4 will be 4 years old. Potentially by then, some features Tesla releases will be designated "HW4 only".

I'm wondering if resale will really take a hit on HW3 cars by then? Will buyers looking for a 2024 Model Y invariably be asking sellers "Is this a HW3 or HW4 car?", and if it's a HW3 car, walk away unless the price is substantially lower?

I guess there are two types of buyers... those who don't really think about the tech and just want a nice Tesla, and those who are more into the details. So perhaps HW3 is a safe choice as there will be plenty of buyers who don't know or care - as long as the car's in good condition!

The saving of nearly $3k AU is pretty significant (we have plenty of other house maintenance things looking for a share of our wallet), but if we're going to find the car harder to move in three years time, we'll stretch and go with a HW4 car now.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Mike

Just coming from a HW3 MYP to a HW4 MYP, I like the HW4 much more. Seems crisper and the cameras are 5MP, which is amazing in comparison. All opinions, but if I could, Id get the newest stuff, not older.I
The average buyer won't ask, care, or know the difference. Color and condition will be the biggest factors with P or LR second. I bought red with resale in mind.

Great point about colour and resale. There are currently inventory models available in grey with black interior and white with white interior. Is white still better for resale do you reckon?

White is certainly the most popular color and many like a white interior but my guess is that the white interior won't be as popular years from now and you run the risk of someone with a leaky pen or other mishap, over the years. I went for black personally.

White is certainly the most popular color and many like a white interior but my guess is that the white interior won't be as popular years from now and you run the risk of someone with a leaky pen or other mishap, over the years. I went for black personally.
I’m confident we can keep the white interior looking good. (Famous last words! But we are careful - no food, and if we got white, no pens - in the car!
I’m more worried about how the Grey exterior would hold up against stone chips and scratches. Our M3 hasn’t done well on either score, and it’s Midnight Silver. I feel like white is much more forgiving.

My white interior is still perfect after four years. It's easy to clean with dish soap and water, and it doesn't bubble from UV exposure, as the black interior sometimes does.
Interesting to hear. Does anyone wear jeans in your car - especially blue ones? Some people have mentioned that the blue dye can transfer onto the seats.
Our Model 3 had black seats, and I’ve been surprised at how many marks are visible on that - and we don’t let sunscreen get into it, or anything like that.
We haven’t had bubbling but I have heard that can be an issue too, as you mention.

In 2027, all that will matter is the model year of the car, and the mileage. And mileage will be more important.

While I’m not saying you should get the HW3, as I’d be tempted to get the latest, I did get a 2023 in February 2024, but it had all the 2024 hardware. The amount that I saved I will probably lose in the trade in the future. But I figured I’d take the money now. Your calculation is different, because the hardware is older. Tough decision, but I don’t think I would go with the older hardware, but not because of resale value.

As far as white interior, I had the black previously in my M3 and now I have the white in my MY and absolutely love it. I can’t believe how easy it is to clean. Everyone that gets in it loves it. My wife loves it. Need I say more?

Last edited:
Good thoughts.

I think you're about right, the year model is more important than HW4 or not. There are currently also some even more heavily discounted 2023 Model Ys (another $1,000 off), but we're not going for one of those as we'd prefer to be re-selling a 2024 model than a 2023 model.

Great feedback on the white seats. I'm getting the feeling that everyone who has white loves them, and finds them practical.

Reactions: dansev