Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hybrid 20" Front and 21" Rear Wheel Setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MX 90D is due in a few weeks and I'm looking at changing the stock OEM 20" wheels. The slipstreams are quite light weight for a cast wheel, just 32lbs front and 33lbs rear. In the UK they are delivered with Michelin Latitude Sport 3 tyres with have great Ratings - CAA front and BAA rear. The first letter is for fuel consumption, so C and B is very good.

I was thinking of 21" all round but it's virtually impossible to find a tyre combination that works. So I'm now thinking of 20" on the front and 21" on the rear. Using Niche Essen wheels (load rated to 1,900lbs +) and Pirelli Scorpion Verde tyres. It would work like this -

Front - 20x9 ET35 255/45/20 (all stock), Essen is 28lbs, tyres BBB rated, sidewall 114.75mm, diameter 738cm (stock)
Rear - 21x10.5 ET35 275/45/21, Essen is 33lbs, tyres BBB rated, sidewall 110mm, diameter 753cm (down 2cm)

Can anyone see a problem with this? Surely its all about the diameter and keeping it as OEM as possible.

Thanks,

Reactions: PaulusdB
As long as you maintain an overall diameter that is close to OEM you will be fine.

I'd like to see a smaller difference in diameter in the rear. 2cm is probably doable but would be more comfortable with a 1cm difference.

Let us know how it works out. I've been very interested in a 21" setup that is lighter than oem 20" (including tire). That would have the triple benefit of unique look, same or better than stock 20" ride, and better than stock efficiency. It's my opinion that 22" just has too little sidewall for a good ride and it's nearly impossible to find 22" tires that are light. 21" would be the sweet spot so long as the overall corner weight was lighter than the oem 20" setup.