Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 20-inch square wheel setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is people are thinking that this is an actual forging technology when it is still a type of casting. They take the cast blank and put it against a turning wheel that squeezes the material into a final shape which does offer some increase in strength while at the same time allowing less material overall to be used which is why they are lighter. It is not as strong as press forging where the entire blank is stamped in a high pressure environment.

Reactions: oldsport
The problem is people are thinking that this is an actual forging technology when it is still a type of casting. They take the cast blank and put it against a turning wheel that squeezes the material into a final shape which does offer some increase in strength while at the same time allowing less material overall to be used which is why they are lighter. It is not as strong as press forging where the entire blank is stamped in a high pressure environment.

yup

Cast/flow formed

vs

Forged

Reactions: EightBitWhit
I just got my MX Plaid 2022 two weeks ago. Ride quality was horrendous. Service center did a suspension check and found nothing wrong. My thinking is it could be the 22” tires.

Decided to go with 20” square setup to see if ride quality improves and hoping tires will last longer with square. 275/55/R20. Tire shop recommended Yokohama $220/tire for comfort (4/5 rating) and quiet (4.5/5) rating. Anyone have experience with these tires? Or what tires do you recommend for this setup for comfort and quiet? Thanks!

I just got my MX Plaid 2022 two weeks ago. Ride quality was horrendous. Service center did a suspension check and found nothing wrong. My thinking is it could be the 22” tires.

Decided to go with 20” square setup to see if ride quality improves and hoping tires will last longer with square. 275/55/R20. Tire shop recommended Yokohama $220/tire for comfort (4/5 rating) and quiet (4.5/5) rating. Anyone have experience with these tires? Or what tires do you recommend for this setup for comfort and quiet? Thanks!
Be very careful with your tire selection. I tried a set of Nokian One A/S tires last summer when I went square on my MXLR. Good reviews etc, But there was a sound. A hollow, howel coming from a resonance inside the tire at highway speeds. The foam liner on the stock Continentals gets rid of it. Had to turn radio up 3 notches for normal listening. No reports of this on the web, so maybe just a Tesla /Nokian One thing. Hated so much, I put the Contis back on in 1 month and have the Nokians sitting in garage. So nice to be able to turn radio back down to 4 from 5 for normal driving.

Nokian had a 30 day Money Back GARANTEE, but I bough online so not usable. I would be sure the Yokohamas have something like this or have the foam before I would spend $1k on them.

P. S. So wierd as the Nokian Hakkepellita winters I run do not do this, even w/o foam. So it's all a specific tire thing, but be careful.