Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hydrophobic treatment on *rear* window? (Rain X/Aquapel)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been 2 months since I put on Aquapel and now the wipers no longer chatter, even at the fastest setting with light rain. The glass is still hydrophobic.

But now the side windows chatter when going up/down... o_O

Still worth it in my opinion, and will apply Aquapel again when it wears out.

Attachments

• 71SPROUpMOL._SL1001_.jpg
    71SPROUpMOL._SL1001_.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 180
After experiencing the first rain with my Model 3, I'm going to try RainX on my backup camera lens to see if it helps with picture quality. I found the windows didn't need it...but then again, I run my car through an automated all-cloth wash+wax twice a week.

After experiencing the first rain with my Model 3, I'm going to try RainX on my backup camera lens to see if it helps with picture quality. I found the windows didn't need it...but then again, I run my car through an automated all-cloth wash+wax twice a week.
I've tried that and don't anymore. It does bead up, but, at least on my car, it doesn't blow off. The result is really thick drops that totally distort the view.

I use RainX on all the windows and it's better than not except on the windshield where it's great. I've not had any issues with the wipers (not that they really work anyway).

Here's what I do. I DO not spend money on RainX. I DO not spend time on application. I DO spend the extra time and money on really long drives anywhere! :) Seriously though, detailing cars is a labor of love for me, but the last time I did a window treatment was on my Audi 12 years ago that I just sold to buy the Model 3. In that case, it was up sell from the "finance department" that I fell for. Never again.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T95NLM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - I use this stuff because it's both a window cleaner and water repellent. You just clean your windows with it and you get quite a bit of water repelling. Is it as good as RainX, no, but it's a hell of lot easier and if you wash your car regularly you'll be probably be fine.
RainX sells windshield wiper, under $3/gal, that has a similar effect. Rain-X All Season 2-in-1 Windshield Washer Fluid 1-gal.

I haven't used it in the Model 3, as it's not run low on original fluid it yet, but have been quite happy with the results in the Bolt. Both in it's bug clearing and in the modest, but noticeable, improvement in beading.

Depending on how fast you go through WW fluid, it's actually relatively cheap. Obviously helpful for the Model 3's rear/side windows, though.

I put RainX on my windshield about a week ago, and have gone through a couple rains so far. No issue with chattering. In fact, the wipers are smoother than ever. I did not put RainX in the section in front of the front camera though, but I haven't tried the auto wipers since they have been so bad in the past. This morning I was looking through the roof, and thinking it would be nice to do that next.