Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hydroplaned and crashed. Driving for 50 years. Never happened before.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So does Tesla have a hydroplaning accident record???

No, it doesnt. Hydroplaning is not having enough grip for the conditions, either because the conditions are very bad, or your tires are in bad shape, usually a combination of the two.

To answer the inevitable next question, there is NO CIRCUMSTANCE WHATSOEVER where you (the driver) are not at fault for hydroplaning your car. Its called an accident for a reason.

This is also usually the type of post that represents "driveby trolling". Only real thing missing is a call out to "how can elon let this happen?!?!?!?!"

That’ll do it. 4/32 aren’t safe to dive on in any kind of weather.

That coupled with regen potentially kicking in over a puddle and you’re toast.
Read up on "Lubrication theory" then we would know that hydroplaning is related to higher speed and ability of tires thread to remove water. If not then there will be a thin layer of water between tires and wet road resulting in lower coefficient of friction then hydroplaning

I would not drive into a deep puddle knowing I only have 4/32 tread on any car. I tend to change tires well before that.

Earlier today, we had a heavy rain with pretty deep puddle on a 90km/h highway. No problem on my 3-months old Y with almost new tire.

18 months w the standard wheel and tire set up. Rear tires were down to 4/32.
On my tread depth gauge, 6/32 is the top of the yellow zone and 3/32 is the top of the red zone. When my tires get that worn (anything less than 6/32) I take extra precautions in rain or when there is standing water. If I lived in Florida, or Washington state I would replace my tires around 6/32, and in states that are not as rainy right around where you are now at 4/32.

Keith

The "top of George Washington's head on a quarter" test is 4/32". Most tire manufacturers and sellers recommend replacement at that level. Frankly, you could probably drive a little beyond that. But you've got to particularly careful, especially in wet conditions. And, as others have said, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Reactions: mangrove79
The "top of George Washington's head on a quarter" test is 4/32". Most tire manufacturers and sellers recommend replacement at that level. Frankly, you could probably drive a little beyond that. But you've got to particularly careful, especially in wet conditions. And, as others have said, I'd rather be safe than sorry.
If I lived in Arizona or Nevada I would drive all the way down to 3/32 or less and feel perfectly safe... based on the annual rainfall :)

Keith

I would not drive into a deep puddle knowing I only have 4/32 tread on any car. I tend to change tires well before that.

Earlier today, we had a heavy rain with pretty deep puddle on a 90km/h highway. No problem on my 3-months old Y with almost new tire.
You do realize it doesn't take a "deep puddle" to hydroplane. In fact, it's rarely a "deep puddle".
Just a steady rain, poor tires and enough speed and now your car is "floating" on the the "puddle-less" road.
That's why it's so dangerous. If you know your tires are borderline and it's raining steady, slow way down, like under 50 mph.

You do realize it doesn't take a "deep puddle" to hydroplane. In fact, it's rarely a "deep puddle".
Just a steady rain, poor tires and enough speed and now your car is "floating" on the the "puddle-less" road.
That's why it's so dangerous. If you know your tires are borderline and it's raining steady, slow way down, like under 50 mph.
Yes I know exactly what you mean. That's why I change tires well before 4/32, and I'm not getting any younger, so I'll be taking even less chances in the future...

Status
Not open for further replies.