Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Hypermiling and EV tyres

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tevo Solutions

Former Vendor
Dec 21, 2020
UK
I was at a record attempt held at Thruxton circuit earlier today. It was organised by the Forces' Motorsport Charity, Mission Motorsport. They wanted to break the record for a Renault Zoe driving the furthest distance on a single charge and they achieved that comfortably (over 400 miles!).

But the interesting thing for Tesla owners perhaps is that one of the Zoes was fitted with a new tyre made by a start up called Enso which is not only more efficient than other tyres but also much more environmentally friendly. Enso Tyres

These tyres are designed for EVs and they are certainly going to make them available in sizes to fit Tesla models.

The Zoe fitted with the Enso tyres managed to go a lot further than the one with regular Michelins and in fact it was still going when I left so I don't know the final distance. Anyway, I thought some of you might be interested so here's a few snaps I took.

Attachments

• DSC_0168.jpg
    DSC_0168.jpg
    564 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC_0171.jpg
    DSC_0171.jpg
    687.3 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC_0173.jpg
    DSC_0173.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Informative
Reactions: Adopado and GRiLLA
Environmentally friendly and low rolling resistance are great but I would like to see the wet weather handling and stopping numbers in comparison with the Michelins please then I am interested.
Exactly this. We have some Goodyear tyres on our A1 which is now 3 years old and has 21k on the clock, original tyres are still at 6mm on rear ad 5mm on front, they look like brand new….

But, the car wheels pins every time you accelerate from a standstill, is skittish in the wet and totally useless over winter.

Range, life and performance are similar to weight, quality and cost. You can only pick two

Found this on the web:

ENSO already have a well-developed vision for a new sustainable tyre for electric vehicles (EV), which will be made from cleaner, bio-based materials,…

Isn’t rubber a bio-based material? And carbon if it comes from trees or coal?

Found this on the web:

ENSO already have a well-developed vision for a new sustainable tyre for electric vehicles (EV), which will be made from cleaner, bio-based materials,…

Tyres aren't made exclusively from natural rubber. There are all sorts of synthetic materials used in them a lot of which will be derived from oil. The other side to what they are trying to achieve though is a reduction in the pollution caused by particulates as the tyres wear.

They are very bullish about how well these tyres perform and how green they are, but TBH without more detailed information and test results it's all talk. They seem to be attracting the investment they need though so maybe we'll get that information soon.

Found this on the web:

I don't think you are allowed to call anything from fossil fuels bio based. I think it has to be non fossilised to count as bio otherwise the term becomes pretty meaningless

My comment was somewhat tongue in cheek! I do think that carbon is a major ingredient of current tyres and I don’t know where it comes from. I guess that if it comes from plant material it is ‘bio’ but if it comes from coal or tar sands it can’t be. Tyres also have steel and synthetic fabric in them. Will be interesting to see what ENSO make them from.

I read about Enso Tyres earlier today in a Forbes article, and they sound promising. Ensos appear to be available in the UK only, but I’d love to see them released to the US soon. Anyone over in the UK get them yet?

As for the wet handling, the tires are A rated for both wet handling and fuel economy.
IMG_8796.jpeg

And yes, I know this thread was over two years old. It appears to be the only thread that has discussed Enso on this forum, so I’m hoping to get the conversation rolling again.

A quick search shows Enso tyres are currently only being offered to London electric taxis, wth no other vehicles being considered.
They have done a trial with Transport for London on various electric service vehicles (vans, taxis) & shown a reduction in tyre particulate emissions & increased efficiency, but otherwise have no "public" provision at this time.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro