Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hyundai KonaEV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Red, with black roof, premium SE 64kW now on order. 24 Weeks delivery is perfect as it fits in with when my wife's current car goes back. 7 Weeks if i went for white, ceramic blue or just pure red (no black roof).

Might want to check that, a lot of people who ordered just now are finding that the delivery date has moved to 2 weeks away!

Note about the 39 kWh battery that people should be aware of: the motor is significantly underpowered. Not sure why they did that, unless the battery can't support more power. Motor power / acceleration is fine on the larger battery version, at average or better than average by the standards of modern economy cars (although of course well worse than the standards of gasoline cars in that price range).

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
Note about the 39 kWh battery that people should be aware of: the motor is significantly underpowered. Not sure why they did that, unless the battery can't support more power. Motor power / acceleration is fine on the larger battery version, at average or better than average by the standards of modern economy cars (although of course well worse than the standards of gasoline cars in that price range).

On what do you base this assertion? The motor is more powerful than the old Leaf and that has more than adequate performance.

Also, being an EV, it's not directly comparable to an ICE. In an old Leaf you can easily smoke most ICE cars in this bracket, at least off the line. Their engines scream and strain and eventually get past but it's still hilarious.

Rei, have you ever driven an EV? Like day to day for a month or more?

I'm not talking about power. I'm talking about the official 0-60. Which is 9,5 seconds. Which is slow.

Did you not bother to look this up before talking about the vehicle?

Oh okay, back to playing top trumps. Well, it's not a performance car... But it's also a lot cheaper than EVs that are.

Oh, and in real world tests we are seeing 7.1 seconds 0-100 on the 64kWh. 20 seconds to 163kph. That puts it in the same bracket as:

Audi TT 1.8
Mazda MX-5 2.0i Roadster
Seat Leon SC 1.8

It's not a sports car but it's not "slow".

• Informative
Reactions: Snerruc
I just noticed that it can read speed signs.

The Intelligent Speed Limit Warning uses the front camera and information from the navigation system to identify road speed signs and displays the speed limit in real time. The information is displayed in both the navigation system display and the TFT cluster.

All-New Hyundai Kona Electric - Connected and caring

So it's actually more advanced that AP2 :p

Bjorn just completed a hypermiling test and managed 515 miles, but conditions were less than perfect.

The Kona managed 124Wh/mile in less than ideal conditions.
For comparison, the Model 3 managed 129Wh/mile in ideal conditions.

Based on this and his other tests, the Kona appears to be more efficient at all speeds. Quite an achievement considering the subcompact SUV shape.

Bjorn just completed a hypermiling test and managed 515 miles, but conditions were less than perfect.

The Kona managed 124Wh/mile in less than ideal conditions.
For comparison, the Model 3 managed 129Wh/mile in ideal conditions.

Based on this and his other tests, the Kona appears to be more efficient at all speeds. Quite an achievement considering the subcompact SUV shape.

A mere 124 Wh/mi? On a car that's smaller and running on more efficient tires?

Sean M Mitchell on Twitter

"Final #Model3 hypermile numbers from @teslainventory and I: 606.2 miles (975 km), 66 kWh, and 110 wh/mi, and 32 hours of driving. At its peak it was 108F in the cabin with no a/c running. Thank you @Tesla and @elonmusk for making such an incredible piece of machinery!"

They went 606.2 miles on the same energy that the Kona took to go 515 miles.

That's actually not "ideal conditions", by the way: this is "ideal conditions":

Tesla Model S, Model 3 set hypermile records: 701 mi. (1128 km) and 623 mi. (1001 km), respectively

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
A mere 124 Wh/mi? On a car that's smaller and running on more efficient tires?

Sean M Mitchell on Twitter

They went 606.2 miles on the same energy that the Kona took to go 515 miles.

That's actually not "ideal conditions", by the way: this is "ideal conditions":

Tesla Model S, Model 3 set hypermile records: 701 mi. (1128 km) and 623 mi. (1001 km), respectively

Where does 66kWh come from? The Tesla M3 LR has 80kWh according to the EPA filing. Anything less than 100% to turtle/stop is no good because you are relying on the car to accurately report consumption.

623 miles on an 80kWh battery is still worse than the Kona under these conditions, but I can't remember what the usable is off the top of my head.

The latter test is a good comparison because they did it under controlled conditions, like Bjorn did.

Where does 66kWh come from? The Tesla M3 LR has 80kWh according to the EPA filing. Anything less than 100% to turtle/stop is no good because you are relying on the car to accurately report consumption.

623 miles on an 80kWh battery is still worse than the Kona under these conditions, but I can't remember what the usable is off the top of my head.

The latter test is a good comparison because they did it under controlled conditions, like Bjorn did.
EPA filing is power pulled from wall. When querying the BMS the car generally reports 75 kWh available.