Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hyundai KonaEV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rei from Slashdot, is that you?

Where did you find the tyre info? I'd like to look at the whole sticker.

Why do Tesla use inefficient tyres? Performance over range I guess?

Not just an X, but an X with a degraded battery pack.

Yes, it's me. You can see the Kona's tires in a screenshot from near the start of his second videos. Beyond that, it's just a matter of taking the time to look up the EU labeling info.

Yes, I'm on Slashdot. Who are you over there?

... But by your logic the Roadster and Model S and X were compliance cars, only made in small numbers and priced to discourage sales. Tesla was making huge losses on them.

Tesla was/is making a marginal profit on sales of Roadster/S/X.

Who knows for the electric version of the Kona?

Chevrolet is apparently losing money on each additional sale of the Bolt. Unless, perhaps, if you take into account the value of meeting various government regulations like ZEV and Cafe.

Tesla was/is making a marginal profit on sales of Roadster/S/X.

More specifically, they were only making profits on the Roadster in such small volumes because they were selling them for six figures.

I'm sure a six-figure Kona would have a massive profit. :)

(BTW, I always feel weird when talking about this car, because kona means "woman" or "wife" in Icelandic ;) )

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
Not just an X, but an X with a degraded battery pack.

True, but that's what he owns... It's a useful test though, because it demonstrates that the faster supercharging is cancelled out by the Kona's longer range and efficiency. Even when limited to 50kW chargers.

It's essentially two different ways of achieving the same thing. For somewhat similar money you can have a Model 3 with smaller battery but faster charging, or a Kona with longer range but slower charging.

What I find surprising is that Hyundai give you so much more for slightly less money. The Model 3 was stripped right down to save money, absolutely minimal inside and out, and you end up with a 50kWh battery. Maybe the autopilot hardware is costing them a lot, and of course you have to buy it even if you don't want it. I suppose there is the on-going 4G data connection to pay for too, but I prefer to just use my phone with Android Auto.

You can see the Kona's tires in a screenshot from near the start of his second videos. Beyond that, it's just a matter of taking the time to look up the EU labeling info.

All I can see is Nexen 215/65r17, do you have the exact model number? Thanks.

Yes, I'm on Slashdot. Who are you over there?

You can't guess? ;)

True, but that's what he owns... It's a useful test though, because it demonstrates that the faster supercharging is cancelled out by the Kona's longer range and efficiency. Even when limited to 50kW chargers.

It's essentially two different ways of achieving the same thing. For somewhat similar money you can have a Model 3 with smaller battery but faster charging, or a Kona with longer range but slower charging.

What I find surprising is that Hyundai give you so much more for slightly less money. The Model 3 was stripped right down to save money, absolutely minimal inside and out, and you end up with a 50kWh battery. Maybe the autopilot hardware is costing them a lot, and of course you have to buy it even if you don't want it. I suppose there is the on-going 4G data connection to pay for too, but I prefer to just use my phone with Android Auto.

You can't guess? ;)
Tesla doesn’t have gas/diesel vehicles to fall back in margin wise. So they have to charge more money for less content.

I hope it does well as we do need more EVs on the roads in the states. I wish it were taller though. Trying to talk my parents into an EV but they want ride height.

I hope it does well as we do need more EVs on the roads in the states. I wish it were taller though. Trying to talk my parents into an EV but they want ride height.

That's one of the biggest issues I have with the M3 too. The S is one of those squat cars where you sit in a recumbent position, and they are a real pain to get in and out of as well as having poor visibility. The M3 seems a bit better but not hugely so, at least not in the same league as the Kona/Niro/Leaf.

When you're competing against a huge electric SUV with an outdated powertrain and a nerfed battery, it goes about as fast. Wow, stop the presses, right? ;)

N'FERA SU1.

You can't guess? ;)

AmiMoJo? ;)

When you're competing against a huge electric SUV with an outdated powertrain and a nerfed battery, it goes about as fast. Wow, stop the presses, right? ;)

I know Bjorn pushes his car hard, but he only had the battery replaced this year because the original one failed under warranty. I'm trying to remember what happened with his old Model S, I think he had that one replaced under warranty too. I remember it had about 3 drive unit replacements.

Still, a 2015 drivetrain, a mere three years old, is it really that outdated? And even the new one in the Model 3 (now a whole year old, clearly obsolete ;)) isn't actually more efficient than the Kona, for example.

N'FERA SU1.

Kona means "woman" in Icelandic, huh? Well the tyres are called the "Blowjob SU1" in Japanese ;)

4NMkjJq.png

Those Chinese ones that Bjorn tested seem to be the best, super efficient, hard wearing and low noise.

xSGVYLI.png

Hahaha ;) Good to see you here. I normally spend more time on M3OC, but I've been here more recently due to the Tesla owner satisfaction survey (see my sig). Plan to close the survey and release the results in a day or two. Also, there's more going on over here around the quarterly results release; the TSLA roundtable thread is crazy-active.

As for the drivetrain being outdated: Yes, it is. It's not the fact that that specific model was made in 2015, it's that it's still an evolved induction drivetrain, with its roots all the way back to the Roadster. Induction motors are inefficient. Tesla's new, modern drivetrain is the Model 3's rear motor, a PMSRM, which is top of the line in terms of efficiency. Wouldn't be surprised if they end up replacing one of the S&X's motors with a PMSRM; it should boost their efficiency and range by about 10%.

Interesting. The Kona is a PMSM. Not sure what, if anything, is the difference with a PMSRM.

The terms overlap somewhat. PMSM means Permanent Magnet Switched Motor. PMSRM = Permanent Magnet Switched Reluctance Motor. Same basic thing. Another term you'll hear is IPM, Internal Permanent-magnet Motor - which is also a combination of PMs and switched reluctance. But there are lots of variations in the details. They all share the same general properties though, including much higher efficiency than induction motors.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
The terms overlap somewhat. PMSM means Permanent Magnet Switched Motor. PMSRM = Permanent Magnet Switched Reluctance Motor. Same basic thing. Another term you'll hear is IPM, Internal Permanent-magnet Motor - which is also a combination of PMs and switched reluctance. But there are lots of variations in the details. They all share the same general properties though, including much higher efficiency than induction motors.
I think the S in PMSM is synchronous instead of switched.

Kind hard to search by efficiency. The best a quick look found was some expensive Michelin ones at B/B rating. I'll have to dig out Bjorn's video and find the brand of those Chinese ones I tested, they were the most efficient, longest lasting and the cheapest.