Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’ve been speaking to some local installers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I’m waiting for a date from Tesla I have been investigating some locals. One of which is only about 10k more than Tesla with slightly more capacity and 3 PW+. I’d actually consider using them except every local installer I call cannot get any batteries. PW are the longest lead but Enphase and Generac are a long wait as well. Sun power batteries are available but Sunpower is 87k when everyone else is around 62k.

I can’t believe how hard it is to get batteries.

While I’m waiting for a date from Tesla I have been investigating some locals. One of which is only about 10k more than Tesla with slightly more capacity and 3 PW+. I’d actually consider using them except every local installer I call cannot get any batteries. PW are the longest lead but Enphase and Generac are a long wait as well. Sun power batteries are available but Sunpower is 87k when everyone else is around 62k.

I can’t believe how hard it is to get batteries.
Going to get worse before better. Anything using chips is having issues, cars, etc.

I tried to get PWs but the wait was too long. Ended up with Enphase. PV was installed yesterday. Batteries will be in next week.
Did you consider anything else or enphase was all that was reasonably available? I had one installer offer enphase or genera. Both seemed pretty pricey. Do you mind sharing specs and price on your battery?

Last edited:
Did you consider anything else or Enphase was all that was reasonably available? I had one installer offer Enphase or genera. Both seemed pretty pricey. Do you mind sharing specs and price on your battery?
Generac was also available but chose Enphase. The Enphase batteries are slightly pricier with installation than the PWs. They run between $15k - $22k for one 10kWh unit. Mostly due to having to get their smart switch,comms kit, and combiner separately. Whereas the PWs come with gateway which serves the same purpose. Here is the price and info for the 10kWh battery without installation and without the gateway direct from Enphase Encharge 10

• Informative
Reactions: jboy210 and Zer0t
Generac was also available but chose Enphase. The Enphase batteries are slightly pricier with installation than the PWs. They run between $15k - $22k for one 10kWh unit. Mostly due to having to get their smart switch,comms kit, and combiner separately. Whereas the PWs come with gateway which serves the same purpose. Here is the price and info for the 10kWh battery without installation and without the gateway direct from Enphase Encharge 10

Slightly pricier? I paid $20.5K for *3* PWs installed which is exactly 4x (40kwh) more.

Reactions: jhn_
I tried to get PWs but the wait was too long. Ended up with Enphase. PV was installed yesterday. Batteries will be in next week.
Did you get everything installed? I'm in a similar situation. I have been waiting almost a year for Tesla to install my 16.32 kW with 4 PWs system. I have been reluctant to go with another company because I thought that I could only get the powerwalls from Tesla in a reasonable time frame. I have recently been looking at the new Enphase Encharge battery system and related products and it seems pretty good. I priced a similar system (parts only, no labor/permitting fees, etc.) with the Enphase system and it was approx. $47,700 for (48) qcell 340 panels w/IQ7+ microinverters, (4) encharge 10 batteries (1) Enpower Smart Switch, (1) IQ combiner box. The similar Tesla system is their standard 48 panel 16.32 kW with 3 powerwalls for $54,761 including all costs. I don't have good idea at this point how much the install labor and other misc. costs for the Enphase stuff will be. I'll have to get a couple of quotes and see. Any feedback good or bad on the Enphase system would be greatly appreciated.

Jay

I have 7kW of Enphase PV, and I have no complaints. It just works. One of our two Envoys has glitched off line three times in three years, but our internet and power isn't great, so I don't necessarily blame the Envoy. I prefer having microinverters both due to shade and more importantly due to failure. I would rather have an inverter failure take out five percent of my system than 50%. The same logic would hold true for batteries.

I suspect that labor and other costs will add quite a bit to the Enphase price. ($15-$20k)

All the best,

BG

Did you get everything installed? I'm in a similar situation........... Any feedback good or bad on the Enphase system would be greatly appreciated.

Jay
Not yet. After the initial PV install I requested additional panels and one extra battery(2 total). Once the additional panels get installed and the extra battery is delivered, the electrical install will be scheduled. Ill post updates.