TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

I-40 — Marching Towards OKC

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Cottonwood, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Looking at the new Tesla Maps, it looks like Superchargers will start opening up I-40, heading east to OKC.

I got some info that Albuquerque, NM and Santa Rosa, NM are on the way. For those permit sleuths, start looking.

SUPERCHARGERDESTINATIONMILESSTATION STATUSCOMMENT
    Gallup, NMOklahoma, OK691 I-40 as of Jan 3rd — Detailed Google Map
    Gallup, NMAlbuquerque, NM140Complete Start
    Albuquerque, NM Santa Rosa, NM 114 Pre-permit Reliable Source — Tesla "Coming Soon" Map
    Santa Rosa, NM Tucumcari, NM 59 Pre-permit Reliable Source — Tesla "Coming Soon" Map
    Tucumcari, NM Amarillo, TX 115 Speculation Tesla 2015 Map
    Amarillo, TX Shamrock, TX 96 Speculation Tesla "Coming Soon" Map
    Shamrock, TX Clinton, OK 83 Speculation Tesla "Coming Soon" Map
    Clinton, OK Oklahoma City, OK 83 Speculation Tesla "Coming Soon" Map
    Oklahoma City, OK End 83 Speculation Tesla 2015 Map
    For the rest of the locations on this route, there are a remarkable number on the "Coming Soon" map. Keep your eyes open.

2. vinnie97

vinnie97 Member

I like where this is going. Keep up the "sleuth"-ellent work!

3. MyJoule

MyJoule Member

I hope these get built before I have to drive to Indianapolis again from Arizona. I just finished driving a Tahoe this route, and while I'm grateful gas prices were down, it still was painful to drive the old ICE and not my Tesla... On my holiday drive from Tucson-Indianapolis-Galveston-Tucson, I was near exactly 2 superchargers- Indianapolis and Columbus Texas!

4. Cottonwood

Here is an update from the "leaked" maps at Supercharger growth - Page 14

I put a stretched version of that over a Google Maps screen shot. If you believe the "Leak" maps, then I-40 to OKC is coming in 2015.

I-40-3.jpg

From that, here is the corrected table.

Gallup, NMOklahoma, OK693 I-40 as of Jan 3rd — Detailed Google Map
    Gallup, NMGrants, NM58Complete Start
    Grants, NMAlbuquerque, NM80Speculation 2015 "Leak" Map
    Albuquerque, NM Santa Rosa, NM 114 Pre-permit Reliable Source — Tesla "Coming Soon" Map — 2015 "Leak" Map
    Santa Rosa, NM Tucumcari, NM 59 Pre-permit Reliable Source — Tesla "Coming Soon" Map — 2015 "Leak" Map
    Tucumcari, NM Amarillo, TX 115 Speculation 2015 "Leak" Map
    Amarillo, TX Shamrock, TX 96 Speculation Tesla "Coming Soon" Map — 2015 "Leak" Map
    Shamrock, TX Weatherford, OK 96 Speculation Tesla "Coming Soon" Map — 2015 "Leak" Map
    Weatherford, OK Oklahoma City, OK 70 Speculation Tesla "Coming Soon" Map — 2015 "Leak" Map
    Oklahoma City, OK End Speculation 2015 "Leak" Map

5. reddy

reddy Member

#5 reddy, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    FWIW, I've checked with Albuquerque and Amarillo, and no permit has been requested in ABQ. In Amarillo, I won't get a notice until the permit is issued, and so far none has been issued.

For the permit sleuths elsewhere, and to focus the search for my helpers, who has been the contractor on these permits? Do they list as new construction, or renovation? And do they list the work as a 'utility', a retail establishment, or an office, or what ?

Also, I've asked around Shamrock, TX. The people I checked with said they hadn't heard anything, and it's such a small town it would probably be on the front page of their weekly county newspaper. I had hoped we'd see a charger in time for the Shamrock St. Patrick's Day festivities, but being only 6 weeks away that's not going to happen.

6. emupilot

emupilot Member

#6 emupilot, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    A permit appeared for Tucumcari, New Mexico at supercharge.info this morning. The site is the Holiday Inn Express at 2624 South Adams Street. I haven't found it mentioned in any thread here or at the TM forum.

7. reddy

reddy Member

OK, Tucumcari isn't on the 'Coming Soon' list, and has already a building permit? Do we have confirmation on this?

I checked on Amarillo and Albuquerque on Friday, and nothing there.

The location chosen for Tucumcari is excellent. Very close to the I40 exit , and near multiple places to eat.

If we know when construction is started, I can make a quick trip out there to take a preview look. It would be a 214 mi round trip , so quite doable.

8. Cottonwood

Sometimes, the best way to get info is to call the host site, here the Holiday Inn Express. I have found the desk staff and managers wonderful sources of info.

9. bluefuego

bluefuego Member

My father will be driving ABQ -> STL next weekend (2/15). I am going to ask him to stop and take pics of the expected Tucumcari location (even if there is no construction). But agreed, calling the host location is always good as I am sure the inquiries will also positively reinforce their decision to host the supercharger.

10. reddy

reddy Member

Just heard that the City of Shamrock approved a lease for the supercharger. The actual lease was approved in mid November, so it appears to be at a city owned or controlled site. I've reached out to friends in Shamrock to get an exact location, and to see if it has started.

11. emupilot

emupilot Member

I did a little googling and found this from the October 30th edition of the local newspaper:

The website for the Shamrock Economic Development Corporation is here, and it has a big button labeled "Contact Larry Clonts". reddy, do you want to call him up Monday morning?

12. reddy

reddy Member

Just got an email about Shamrock TX. It is reportedly going to be at the famous Shamrock & Route 66 icon "U-Drop Inn". I have created a post specifically for Shamrock, since this is a FABULOUS location.

13. reddy

reddy Member

Shamrock will be at the U-Drop Inn, which was featured in Pixar's "Cars". I've started a separate post re: Shamrock.

14. reddy

reddy Member

#14 reddy, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    I contacted them over the weekend. Here is the reply:

"From: Erica B <snipped>
    Date: February 9, 2015 at 3:55:15 AM CST
    To: reddy
    Subject: Shamrock EDC: Tesla supercharger site
    William, this e-mail got re-routed to me by mistake, but Larry responded to you earlier today, so I wanted to forward his response to you while I fix our e-mail system. We’re so excited for this amazing addition at the U-Drop Inn!

Thanks,
    Erica aka the Web Designer"

"Construction is in the process right now & yes, it is scheduled to be operational by St. Patrick's Day.

Thanks"

15. Jdcleary

Jdcleary Member

#15 Jdcleary, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    WOW! This is great news. We are making our second trip from Bella Vista, AR to Phoenix via I-40 and will be passing Shamrock on March 15th... perhaps a day or two too early for supercharging. We hope it's operational on our return trip. Looks like we will have to stop at the Amarillo B&B again for an over night stay.

Now if Tucumcari would be operational on our return trip we could really make up some time. Thanks for the info Reddy!

16. reddy

reddy Member

Actually this year's St Patrick's Day celebration is on Saturday, March 14. And assuming they have it done BEFORE that , you may be in luck on both legs of your trip.

17. reddy

reddy Member

#17 reddy, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  18. Cottonwood

Updated Table:

Gallup, NMOklahoma, OK693 I-40 as of Feb 18th — Gallup, NM to Oklahoma City, OK - Google Maps
    Gallup, NMGrants, NM58Complete Start
    Grants, NMAlbuquerque, NM80Speculation 2015 Map
    Albuquerque, NM Santa Rosa, NM 114 Pre-permit Reliable Source — Tesla "Opening Soon" Map — Applebee's
    Santa Rosa, NM Tucumcari, NM 59 Pre-permit Reliable Source — Tesla "Opening Soon" Map — Holiday Inn Express
    Tucumcari, NM Amarillo, TX 115 Permit Supercharger - Tucumcari, NM — Holiday Inn Express
    Amarillo, TX Shamrock, TX 96 Speculation Tesla "Opening Soon" Map
    Shamrock, TX Weatherford, OK 96 Construction Shamrock Texas Supercharger at Route 66 iconU-Drop Inn - Wikipedia
    Weatherford, OK Oklahoma City, OK 70 Pre-permit Reliable Source — Tesla "Opening Soon" Map
    Oklahoma City, OK End Speculation 2015 Map

19. emupilot

emupilot Member

There are 10 Applebee's in Albuquerque - do you know which one?

Do you specifically know that Santa Rosa is pre-permit? Since a contractor reported that they were going there, could it be under construction already?

20. Cottonwood

Sorry, no more info than the table, Applebee's Ambiguity... If you find out anything more about Santa Rosa, please report it here.

Texans will have multiple ways off the island soon!