Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am obviously missing something...Tesla allowing non-Tesla's to use Superchargers????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The existence of the worldwide Superchanger network has been a huge differentiator for Tesla. Allowing other non-Tesla vehicles to use the Superchargers seems incorrect to me for several reasons:
1) Many Supercharger stations are already crowded during the day. Adding non-Tesla vehicles to mix will only make this worse
2) Tesla loses the strong market diferentiator if anyone can use the Supercharger

Only things that come to mind are:
1) Regulator pressure in certain countries like Norway
2) Does Tesla actual make substantial profits on the Supercharge network? Somehow I doubt it, while they charge more for supercharging that my local electric service, they have large capital costs to installing this stations that needs recovering

2) Does Tesla actual make substantial profits on the Supercharge network? Somehow I doubt it, while they charge more for supercharging that my local electric service, they have large capital costs to installing this stations that needs recovering
And on the call Monday they said that more usage will actually bring their costs down. (Because most Supercharger sites are not anywhere near full utilization.)

They also mentioned that pricing will be used to help control demand. (Things like raising prices during peak usage to drive usage to off hours and charging more for slower charging vehicles to discourage them from using the Superchargers and slowly charging to full.)

That and the fact that there just aren't that many CCS capable vehicles out there right now.

This was always part of the plan. Sure we might be giving up one moat, but imagine all those Fords, VWs, Chevys, etc. all seeing those Teslas come in after they arrive and leave before they are done. Sooner or later they are going to question their purchase.

Dan
This is only for Europe where the Model 3/Y have a CCS 2 plug.
Also, because the cable is short, only cars with a plug on the right rear or the front right will be able to use it.

However, some Tesla Superchargers also are organised like ICE gas stations, or are designed for Tesla with a trailer,
so those particular locations or spots could be more easily be used by non Tesla cars.

Tesla's super chargers is one of the key reasons why many of us buy Tesla- convenience to charge and making longer trips possible. There may be regulatory -fence its charges pressure in Europe to open the Super Chargers to non Tesla cars. However Tesla can always always lock any location or any specific supercharger for non Tesla users thru firmware update. In the US as i don't see that happening soon and even if that happens, my guess is there will be differential pricing between Tesla and non -tesla , another subtle push to move over to Tesla. This is not discriminatory pricing since part of the Super Charger infra cost is baked in into every Tesla's initial purchase price.

Even if the $25 billion is off by 80%, $5 billion is still a lot of money to leave on the table. I think Tesla hopes that the added revenue, whatever it is, can be reinvested into the supercharger network and allow them to grow it at a faster pace. I'm sure they will be analyzing the data and adjusting pricing as necessary. Hopefully Tesla vehicles will get a cheaper rate as a benefit of being bought in to the ecosystem.

Even if the $25 billion is off by 80%, $5 billion is still a lot of money to leave on the table. I think Tesla hopes that the added revenue, whatever it is, can be reinvested into the supercharger network and allow them to grow it at a faster pace. I'm sure they will be analyzing the data and adjusting pricing as necessary. Hopefully Tesla vehicles will get a cheaper rate as a benefit of being bought in to the ecosystem.
I might be mistaken but I think the current rates are based on what the utility charges Tesla.

I might be mistaken but I think the current rates are based on what the utility charges Tesla.
Maybe. I was thinking that they add a profit margin on top. I remember hearing that Non Telsa vehicles will need to sign in to the app and indicate which charger they are at. So it should be fairly trivial to tell whether a Tesla is being charged or not. Then they can make the profit margin higher if it's a non Tesla. I have no idea if they will do this. I suspect that opening up the network to non Tesla vehicles won't have much of an impact. Or if it does, the impact won't last long as they build out more chargers. But if it does become a recurring issue then they have options.

Just gave myself a bright side. I don't mind them expanding it to others if they are using that money to make superchargers ubiquitous. If they help spreading it so they're 50 miles apart instead of 150 miles apart and we can use more of our range on long trips, I'll take that trade off.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
This is a TERRIBLE idea and will be disastrous for Tesla.. Already queues are increasingly common at Tesla superchargers. I was at Darts Farm in Devon on a Friday afternoon in early July, before the main school holidays and there were 11 Teslas waiting to charge at one point.. My main reason for choosing a Tesla was the easy access to the supercharger network thereby negating range anxiety. Allowing all to use them will bring range anxiety back. This idea will increase sales of non Tesla EVs who currently suffer severe range anxiety and make wait times dramatically worse.
Many owners, like myself, bought a Tesla because of the exclusive use of Superchargers which meant for the first time an EV was viable for me. The thought of potentially having to queue for hours before even starting to charge will make them useless for longer journeys.
Let's be honest. Teslas are overpriced compared with other EVs and the reason many of us bought one was chiefly because of exclusive access to the supercharger network. If this goes ahead maybe we could start a class action?

• Disagree
Reactions: Big Earl
Class action? Yeah, right. How are you damaged to the point of filing a lawsuit? Just simmer down. The adoption of other car makers using the SC network will be slow and gradual, at the same time Tesla will be building out many more SC to handle the increased demand. Tesla can also increase the price of SC to non-Teslas to make it only worthwhile when traveling and to motivate people to charge at home. How about not running around saying the sky is falling until the sky is actually falling?

This is a TERRIBLE idea and will be disastrous for Tesla.. Already queues are increasingly common at Tesla superchargers. I was at Darts Farm in Devon on a Friday afternoon in early July, before the main school holidays and there were 11 Teslas waiting to charge at one point.. My main reason for choosing a Tesla was the easy access to the supercharger network thereby negating range anxiety.
So it seems like your complaint should equally be with Tesla themselves, as their increased production has resulted in an overcrowding at at this Supercharger. Are you planning on lobbying against Giga Berlin, as when Model Y's start ramping up there this will make this problem a whole lot worse, with our without non-Tesla cars using the Supercharger network.

Unless of course Tesla uses their increased sales and increased revenue from non-Tesla EV owners to expand their network, offering even more redundancy.

I'll be the first to admit (assuming that the SC I've circled is the one you're talking about) is an underserved area of the UK:
1629309550225.png

Two active Superchargers in that whole region of England creates a pinch point I'm sure. But it also looks like there is some serious expansion going on with 2 sites under permit and one under construction. That plus all the CCS fast chargers in the area should provide some relief.
1629309713008.png

And yes, we will have to hold Tesla accountable to expand their network to ensure that bottlenecks do not appear. But this is true with our without opening up the network to non-Teslas. It sounds like in your area, they may have already failed in that respect, although to be fair, this is going to be the case in some areas for some time until the rapid growth of EVs starts to taper.

This is only for Europe where the Model 3/Y have a CCS 2 plug.
Also, because the cable is short, only cars with a plug on the right rear or the front right will be able to use it.

However, some Tesla Superchargers also are organised like ICE gas stations, or are designed for Tesla with a trailer,
so those particular locations or spots could be more easily be used by non Tesla cars.
Maybe