Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can’t believe that I rely on 360 camera views this much!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was pretty nonchalant when I curbed my front left wheel. Surprised me a bit that my stomach didn't churn. I guess I'm just getting older. Then my wife did it 3 or 4 days later. I haven't even taken a sharpie to it yet and I did it over a month ago.

I don't think bird eye view is possible with these cars. There's quite a lot of blind spots.

I remember Tesla working on a similar feature. They called it "vector birds eye view". Pretty much it will try to remember object positions and interpolate it to make a 3rd eye view.

Id love for the bird eye view or the new camera features that gives you a spotter's perspective

I don't think bird eye view is possible with these cars. There's quite a lot of blind spots.

I remember Tesla working on a similar feature. They called it "vector birds eye view". Pretty much it will try to remember object positions and interpolate it to make a 3rd eye view.

Id love for the bird eye view or the new camera features that gives you a spotter's perspective
Would be an interesting software challenge for them! My guess is that this is the exact reason why it is taking them this long to release such feature.

Funny, I'm coming from an Audi with the overhead camera view and have never missed it. The size/resolution wasn't good enough to be very useful except for avoiding parking blocks using the front camera (not really an issue with the Y). I find the Tesla's proximity line quite a lot more useful.
Can't speak to your model, but that could just be because the Audi implementation is trash - I never used it in my Audi, but I absolutely love it in my Mercedes. I use my mirrors and backup camera more than anything, but the 360 camera is amazing when you drive a big SUV and you're pulling into thin areas (restaurant drive-thrus, curbed areas leading into garages, etc...). I'm a really solid driver, but when you have a massive vehicle sometimes it takes a long time to really get used to where the wheels are in certain movements.

Reactions: NewbieScoobie

That's what I thought. The cars I've had that had a 360 view had cameras on the sides that could literally show the ground next to the front and rear tires...Tesla cameras don't have that level of view.

The birds eye view in the Bolt premier is fantastic, but it uses cameras that are specify set up to provide the birds eye view... all of the Tesla cameras are pointed outwards toward traffic are they not? I will miss the birds eye view in the Bolt, but it is not a "make or break" thing for me.

Keith

Funny, I'm coming from an Audi with the overhead camera view and have never missed it. The size/resolution wasn't good enough to be very useful except for avoiding parking blocks using the front camera (not really an issue with the Y). I find the Tesla's proximity line quite a lot more useful.
I have a 21 Audi and the surround view is unreal in hd clarity and usefulness

Can't speak to your model, but that could just be because the Audi implementation is trash - I never used it in my Audi, but I absolutely love it in my Mercedes. I use my mirrors and backup camera more than anything, but the 360 camera is amazing when you drive a big SUV and you're pulling into thin areas (restaurant drive-thrus, curbed areas leading into garages, etc...). I'm a really solid driver, but when you have a massive vehicle sometimes it takes a long time to really get used to where the wheels are in certain movements.
I don’t know what year Audi you had but the 21 Q5 implementation is amazing.