Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't shift into gear fast enough. Fix it.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always worried I would have this problem coming from my Ice Car. I used to sometimes be “in a rush” and wondered if I can get the heck out of dodge in the M3 if needed. And I’ve had no problem yet, surprised how fast I can do it in M3. Feels faster not having to stick a key Into steering column and turn and wait...once the engine was on I would use the first few seconds of the cold start to put my seat belt on...

Feels a bit odd in M3 because I have Easy entry on so if I jump in and go, my seat and wheel are still moving! Hahaha. So I just use the seat moving time to put my seat belt on...

Agree this is an annoyance - takes much longer between brake application and changing to D or R than in our S.

Another annoyance is all the replies telling the OP that they are wrong about their experience, or that their expectations are too high. Here's my general rule on forum posts: If a post is asking for an improvement or a solution, and your response is not one of those, don't bother responding. How has this much free time? Let's see...

My complaint is it takes so long to put the parking brake on! Tap one to go into Park, then you have to wait a few seconds, then HOLD the button down to turn on the parking brake. This is super annoying. Why can’t we just double tap immediately or something...

My complaint is it takes so long to put the parking brake on! Tap one to go into Park, then you have to wait a few seconds, then HOLD the button down to turn on the parking brake. This is super annoying. Why can’t we just double tap immediately or something...

I don't understand what you are doing. The parking brake will automatically engage once you put it in park - there is no need to push the button a second time.

I don't understand what you are doing. The parking brake will automatically engage once you put it in park - there is no need to push the button a second time.

Well, if this is true, why does the park light only engage when I do it a second time?

Try it...after you go into park, wait a few seconds, and then HOLD the park button down. You’ll see a “PARK” light come on at the top of the screen. Why does this only come on when you do this extra pain in the ass step? Is this like an extra extra parked? Haha

Well, if this is true, why does the park light only engage when I do it a second time?

Try it...after you go into park, wait a few seconds, and then HOLD the park button down. You’ll see a “PARK” light come on at the top of the screen. Why does this only come on when you do this extra pain in the ass step? Is this like an extra extra parked? Haha

I dont even look at the screen. As soon as I hit park, I can feel it in the brake pedal that all is good.

Is there an "Extra" Parking Brake Step or Not? Weird.....

[QUOTE="timk225, post: 2915648, member: 44696
......the car needs a second or two to get going before it'll change gears, so that means I have to pause and keep my foot on the brake and go back and shift from P to R or D again before it'll go into gear.

Fix that, Tesla. It is an inconvenience to me.[/QUOTE]

That’s very annoying!

I find Double Clutching really
facilitated the gear change....

I tried it last night. It makes no sense.

From the manual: "The parking brake indicator lights up on the touchscreen whenever you use the touchscreen to manually apply the parking brake."

So the car engages the parking brake automatically when placed in Park, but you need to manually turn on the parking brake indicator (although doesn't actually engage any additional brakes).

My guess is the manual engagement of the parking brake is for emergencies if the pedal-operated brake system fails (I understand applying from the center screen but don't understand the need to do it by pressing park a second time as pressing the first time engages the parking brakes).

I tried it last night. It makes no sense.

From the manual: "The parking brake indicator lights up on the touchscreen whenever you use the touchscreen to manually apply the parking brake."

So the car engages the parking brake automatically when placed in Park, but you need to manually turn on the parking brake indicator (although doesn't actually engage any additional brakes).

My guess is the manual engagement of the parking brake is for emergencies if the pedal-operated brake system fails (I understand applying from the center screen but don't understand the need to do it by pressing park a second time as pressing the first time engages the parking brakes).

I agree. There is no clarity! I just got a model S loaner and it has the same weird thing. I started a thread about it, but everyone is saying don’t do it just put it in Park. But it’s such a weird thing, I would like to figure it out! Hahaha

If you put your seatbelt on before you drive, you’ll be fine!
I’m seeing the same issue as the original poster more often now too. And I have always put on my seatbelt before starting to drive. I don’t tend to have my foot on the brake while putting on my seatbelt though.

I think the refusal to go into gear right away after stepping on the brake didn’t happen very often before but now it’s very frequent. (On 2019.5.15 now.)

And then, to add a bit of aggravation, if I immediately try to go into drive again, it gives me a “can’t engage autopilot” error as it sees the two pulls on the drive selector close enough together to mean “engage autopilot”.

Hopefully, this will be fixed again soon. And while they’re at it, maybe they’ll fix the newly introduced issue with the reverse camera view often remaining black for 5-10 seconds or so.

It’s really a shame (and embarrassing) that they don’t have a more comprehensive regression test suite for all of this before pushing out an update!