Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I drive a Toyota-but am looking forward to my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the article it says, 'Toyota owners are more demanding'. I'm not convinced.

I think the 35k demographic will be more demanding than the average Model S buyer simply because these cars are going to be daily workhorses. So if it takes 3 weeks for a repair and the owner doesn't get a replacement while awaiting repair, that alone could be a reason for owners to get frustrated very quickly. One can see that as being more demanding but I presume most buyers who are used to ultra reliable cars will not expect the same from a Model 3 but there will still be limits to what they can tolerate. Of course those who haven't experienced or don't value ultra-reliability will probably not even understand what all the fuss is about.

Reactions: N5329K
Do you really believe they'll be able to do send technicians and flatbed vehicles when they dramatically increase the volume of cars they have on the road with the model 3? Tesla does those things in order to make up for the fact that they don't have as many service centers. Toyota dealerships are typically closer than 100 miles away.

The wait for parts is a real issue. An issue I don't see getting better when they increase volume. At least not immediately. A warning for my 12 V battery came on last week. Called the service center, no answer. Thankfully I'm close, so I just stopped by. They assured me it's just a warning and I could drive for months with no problem. They didn't have any in stock but would order one and call me when it came in, said it should take a few weeks. For a 12 V battery.

If you've had to repair your S, then you know that long waits for parts is a common. I don't think the average model 3 reservation holder realizes this and is fully prepared to take it in stride.
The recent reports say that ~80% of problems can be handled remotely by the Ranger service. They can drastically reduce service wait times if they expand their Ranger service.
Tesla updates service operations ahead of Model 3, expands ‘Ranger’ program for mobile repairs at owner’s home or office

Jon also recently responded that they are aware of parts backlogs and reduced it by 80%. They are also working hard to improve the third party body shop experience (by far the worst in terms of wait times from previous accounts) with direct customer advocates, performance metrics to eliminate poor performing shops, and adding more shops. Previously Tesla had no control of the shops, which typically blame Tesla for delays, sometimes correctly but according to Jon, alarmingly many times long delays are because of the shop itself (with Tesla being a convenient scapegoat).
Motley Fool story - Tesla Replacement Part Delays

Do you really believe they'll be able to do send technicians and flatbed vehicles when they dramatically increase the volume of cars they have on the road with the model 3? Tesla does those things in order to make up for the fact that they don't have as many service centers. Toyota dealerships are typically closer than 100 miles away.

The wait for parts is a real issue. An issue I don't see getting better when they increase volume. At least not immediately. A warning for my 12 V battery came on last week. Called the service center, no answer. Thankfully I'm close, so I just stopped by. They assured me it's just a warning and I could drive for months with no problem. They didn't have any in stock but would order one and call me when it came in, said it should take a few weeks. For a 12 V battery.

If you've had to repair your S, then you know that long waits for parts is a common. I don't think the average model 3 reservation holder realizes this and is fully prepared to take it in stride.

Actually, yes, I think they will be able to send technicians to service Model 3 owners. Tesla has determined that it is more efficient to repair cars on site than to repair them at service centers, that is why they have launched a new effort to expand the on-site repair services that have been so successful. Article here: Tesla’s Rangers get a new look, now called ‘Tesla Mobile Service’ – First Look

Reactions: Red Sage
Actually, they've already come out and said they are expanding the ranger program and that the majority of repairs can be handled that way.

The wait for parts is a real issue. An issue I don't see getting better when they increase volume. At least not immediately.

First, they said they've been working on the supply problem and have solved a large portion of it. Second, and more importantly, the model 3 is different car, sold in drastically higher volume - I'm sure it'll be fine.

• Love
Reactions: Red Sage
I agree it's a problem... For Toyota not Tesla.

I'm a Toyota hybrid owner and fan for the past 14 years but the direction they are heading, very unlikely I will get another Toyota.

Meanwhile I have been very very impressed with Tesla and their mission. I've got a M3 on order and also a shareholder. Quite certain my wife will be tempted to replace her Toyota with a Model Y so yes. It's a problem alright, not for Tesla.
Agreed. I'm on my third Toyota in a row right now, the last two both had well over 200,000 miles on them and very few problems, my current one is at about 160,000 and still going strong. If Toyota had an appealing BEV I'd be looking at that right now as an alternative to my model 3 reservation. But they don't so I'm not. My son will get my Corolla when I get my 3.

Reactions: ApauloThirteen
Actually, they've already come out and said they are expanding the ranger program and that the majority of repairs can be handled that way.

First, they said they've been working on the supply problem and have solved a large portion of it. Second, and more importantly, the model 3 is different car, sold in drastically higher volume - I'm sure it'll be fine.

Nothing like good ol blind faith.

Keep the faith, but there is genuine merit to the issues raised in the article.

I'm sure they're trying. They have yet to demonstrate that they've actually handled it, however, and I do not think average model 3 reservation holder realizes they'll likely have to deal with that until they do.
I believe the 'average Model ☰ Reservation Holder' is voracious in seeking every possible bit of information about Tesla and the upcoming release of their Generation III vehicles. They made a measured and logical decision to put their money where their mouth is by supporting Tesla with a $1,000 Reservation Fee. They are not lemmings seeking the next bright, shiny thing or the eleventy-third coming of iPhone. They are well informed, bright, and critical individuals who know full well the challenges that Tesla is facing, along with the steps they are taking to eliminate issues.

Tesla is suing the ever-lovin' daylights out of Michigan Officials for blocking their preferred means of Distribution, Sales, and Service. Winning that Federal case should set a precedent that will allow Tesla to expand through every State in the nation unfettered by the franchise laws that should never have been applied against them in the first place. Concerns about parts, service, repairs, and maintenance will be fully solved. But you cannot ignore the roadblock in your path while people are busily pointing at the elephant in the room.

None of the States where Tesla is challenging the current franchise law had provisions specifically barring sales of new cars by manufacturers prior to 2013. They instead had protections for 'independent franchised dealerships' that did not allow unfair competition between manufacturers and their own franchises. It was dealership organizations that requested revisions, modifications, and amendments to block direct sales entirely -- as a means to block Tesla. Then those same organizations accused Tesla of wanting to 'change the rules' in order to get 'special treatment'.

When you offer a choice to someone, you must offer the same choice to everyone. Otherwise you will be accused of discrimination. And rightly so.

Prior to Tesla, every ICE automobile manufacturer had a choice: they could sell direct, or they could use franchises. Just because the grand majority if them chose to handle sales and service through third parties doesn't mean they didn't make an informed decision. I am sure there are highly qualified lawyers on both sides of the table when traditional automobile manufacturers sign franchise agreements.

But then, just as Tesla began to prove, what many had claimed was a bad idea, that direct sales could work as the sole means of distribution for new cars...? All of a sudden it was a 'problem' that had to be curtailed, halted, reigned in, cut down, stopped, eliminated, made illegal.

Some in the tradional automobile industry have even complained, "They think they're smarter than us!" for years, even before the Model S was a success. Well... Yeah. When you keep telling someone they are doing things 'the wrong way' and you profess that 'it will NEVER work' but it turns into an enormous success...? Yeah. That makes them look 'smart', and you look 'dumb'.

Tesla deserves the opportunity to prove themselves RIGHT in the face of all the critics who claim they are WRONG.

Nothing like good ol blind faith.

Keep the faith, but there is genuine merit to the issues raised in the article.
Wow. Nothing like good ol' blind, blindness either. Geez.

Too many conversations around here go like this:
  • Someone says something like, "I haven't seen any evidence."
  • Someone shows them the evidence, often weeks, months, or years old and publicly accessible by anyone.
  • The first person says, "I don't see how that has anything to do with what I said. Why did you bring it up?"
  • They are reminded they made an error and are shown proof of the transgression.
  • The first person never acknowledges they were corrected, but effectively calls everyone else here some type of cultist.

This is tiring.

Last edited:
As I've said too many times already, the psychology of the early adopter (essentially, everyone who now holds a reservation for a 3), should not be confused with the psychology of the mass market buyer. As someone here mentioned, the world of reliability, service and spare parts availability looks very different to someone counting on a Model 3 as their only, or family car. Downtime is a critical measure, and one Tesla will have to continue to address.
Robin

Wow. Nothing like good ol' blind, blindness either. Geez.

Too many conversations around here go like this:
  • Someone says something like, "I haven't seen any evidence."
  • Someone shows them the evidence, often weeks, months, or years old and publicly accessible by anyone.
  • The first person says, "I don't see how that has anything to do with what I said. Why did you bring it up?"
  • They are reminded they made an error and are shown proof of the transgression.
  • The first person never acknowledges they were corrected, but effectively calls everyone else here some type of cultist.

This is tiring.

Geesh, indeed. I swear this forum gets like early iPhone fanboys at times. They have not yet solved the parts issue, no 'evidence' that's "weeks, months, or years old" changes that fact. Them simply saying they're going to fix it doesn't mean they'll actually have it fixed by the time they drastically increase their volume with the influx of M3s. If they do fix it, then great, but it is something that they need to be concerned, and apparently they are.

I don't know why this bothers you so, but perhaps you should take your own advice and 'Chill'.

I'm sure they're trying. They have yet to demonstrate that they've actually handled it, however, and I do not think average model 3 reservation holder realizes they'll likely have to deal with that until they do.

It's very tough to demonstrate a robust supply chain to support a vehicle that technically isn't available yet.

Self-fulfilling prophecy is fulfilled at this point....

I usually like Forbes, but this article is rubbish
As a Toyota owner, I do expect the Model 3 to be as reliable as my Prius has been with similar maintenance costs, and I imagine there are plenty of other Toyota owners with Model 3 reservations who share that expectation.

Based on that, I was going to disagree with you, but then I read the article and found gems like...

They don’t care at all that Tesla loses money on every car. Flogging this argument may actually help Tesla, the study says..
The typical person who's plunked down a $1,000 deposit for a Model 3 currently drives a Toyota, not a BMW, the study found. Those customers are looking to switch because they think they can finally afford cutting-edge technology previously limited to the rich and famous.
In recent years, Toyota has slipped a bit, which may have given some of its usually fiercely loyal customers ideas, just like some men dump a dependable partner for a risqué filly during their second mid-life crisis. Maybe, Joe Toyota believes that by now, all cars are built as well as his Corolla. As a fresh Tesla owner, the worst case scenario for the electric car upstart is that Joe ends up feeling like an Evangelical who chanced into a Mexican bordello. Joe could leave angry, and considerably poorer.
There must be more of these studies in the drawers of other automakers. “Let them go to Tesla, they will be back in short order,” said an industry source with deep knowledge of Toyota and its customers.

So yeah, one legitimate idea (owners of reliable, inexpensively maintained cars will want a reliable, inexpensively maintained Tesla), with a ton of garbage. :(

Reactions: JoaoD and SageBrush
As a Toyota owner, I do expect the Model 3 to be as reliable as my Prius has been with similar maintenance costs, and I imagine there are plenty of other Toyota owners with Model 3 reservations who share that expectation.
Absolutely. I kinda/sorta fall in that group too, at least in so far as really expecting Tesla to open up technical information to all and getting a handle on spare part costs.