Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I drive my Model X (non Performance) more spirited than I ever drove my Performance Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I leave my car in 'Sport' mode all the time. Don't feel the need to have to switch modes to go whatever speed I desire. I can drive equally as slowly/smoothly/relaxed in 'Sport' mode as I can in 'Chill', Makes no difference other than how much I have to flex my fight ankle.

Thanks for the rebuttals, so I didn't have to counterargue with everything he replied about :D

I leave it and forget it Sport mode and I can still park it and advance by inches while punching it on the freeway to pass. ez

This is a strange post. I don't want to offend anyone. I just got my performance model 3 less than a month ago. For some reason I don't feel like the OP has a Tesla. My car has the easiest throttle I have ever used. The only reason I would ever put the car into chill mode, is if I was gonna let my niece's & nephew's drive & didn't want them to do 0-60 launches all day. Then again, I let my 16 year old niece drive the car the other day & didn't even switch it to chill mode. Then when we were on a low traffic area I let her launch the car. Her comment, this is fast, but so smooth. Honestly, I've never put it in chill mode, just giving an example of when I may. It is easy to control the speed with the throttle. The throttle really does have a good distance of travel. I really don't understand some of the comments here. If you want the experience of the AWD without performance just don't hold the throttle down as far, why would you trade your car in for this reason? If you feel the car is too fast for you or it's out of your budget, just say that, & trade your car in. I feel like you are confusing potential buyers by saying the car can only go fast. These cars are not like supercharged or turbocharged ICE cars that idle rough when you are not going fast & need speed to drive smoothly. This is what I thought the P3D was like before I bought. I thought that I would need creep mode on to transition from a stop to smooth acceleration. Anyone who has a Tesla knows that this is not true. From a stop I just instinctively put my foot on the accelerator & smoothly take off as fast or as slow as I want without changing driving modes. If you need to change modes just do it, but it's weird what the OP is posting. My point is to future buyers, the P3D can go as fast or as slow as you want, the throttle is extremely easy to control.

Reactions: Shemp and wenkan
I already swapped it for a Raven X Non P.

Like I said, there is nothing wrong with the P3 other than it should have a medium Performance Mode like Tesla offers on the S/X Performance cars.

Why Tesla hasn’t is a head scratcher.

It's a head scratcher reading your posts. Hard to believe you blame Tesla for your problems with driving your old 3. Why didn't you just purchase a 3 standard plus as this seems the perfect car for you & your partner around town..

Reactions: roguenode
It's a head scratcher reading your posts. Hard to believe you blame Tesla for your problems with driving your old 3. Why didn't you just purchase a 3 standard plus as this seems the perfect car for you & your partner around town..

Thats what I initially had on order. But it was end of year and AWD had longest lead time. For $10k more I could get Performance and free Supercharging. So I did. At least I knew not to get the 20” wheels.

People are having a real hard time understanding that I’m complaining of P3 lacking an option to have a driving mode in between 3s and 7s 0-60 which is huge. There are others here that understand and agree. Sorry you don’t get it.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Thats what I initially had on order. But it was end of year and AWD had longest lead time. For $10k more I could get Performance and free Supercharging. So I did. At least I knew not to get the 20” wheels.

People are having a real hard time understanding that I’m complaining of P3 lacking an option to have a driving mode in between 3s and 7s 0-60 which is huge. There are others here that understand and agree. Sorry you don’t get it.

You seem to have a fundamental misconception on how to drive cars and that's why people are disagreeing with you.

It is trivially easy to drive a model P3D and go 0-60 in 7s. It's called self control and not flooring the pedal.

Why do you feel Tesla needs another mode? It seems to be your actual point is "I want to be able to floor my car, but I couldn't control a P3D". Why do you feel a need to floor it to get a 0-60 in say 4.2s? What reason is there for Tesla to map it to do that when it is trivially easy to learn to do so by simply not slamming the pedal to the floor?

Sounds like you are trying to use your own shortcomings as a driver (unable to have pedal control) and want Tesla to fix that. In which case it is probably a good thing you traded it in.

Chill mode exists so I can have others who arent used to my car drive it. I have 0 issues emulating chill mode while in sport mode simply with proper throttle response.

You seem to have a fundamental misconception on how to drive cars and that's why people are disagreeing with you.

It is trivially easy to drive a model P3D and go 0-60 in 7s. It's called self control and not flooring the pedal.

Why do you feel Tesla needs another mode? It seems to be your actual point is "I want to be able to floor my car, but I couldn't control a P3D". Why do you feel a need to floor it to get a 0-60 in say 4.2s? What reason is there for Tesla to map it to do that when it is trivially easy to learn to do so by simply not slamming the pedal to the floor?

Sounds like you are trying to use your own shortcomings as a driver (unable to have pedal control) and want Tesla to fix that. In which case it is probably a good thing you traded it in.

Chill mode exists so I can have others who arent used to my car drive it. I have 0 issues emulating chill mode while in sport mode simply with proper throttle response.

I have no self control. I am fundamentally flawed. I don't know how to drive. I don't know how to park. Does that make you happy !!

And no, not everyone is disagreeing with me. Several understand and agree where I'm coming from.

Why does Tesla offer 3 - 4 accelerations on Performance S/X? Why does Tesla offer chill mode at all on any car?

Maybe you should start a campaign to remove Chill mode (it's only for stupid people that don't have any self control, right).
It would be exactly the same argument you are using here.

I feel I have better self control than the folks that say you don't need 4.4s accel option. I can enjoy and drive the car perfectly fine with 4.4s acceleration. But those that don't have the self control can't seem to deal with that. Or even understand it. Why, because they have no self control. I had enough self control to enjoy and drive it in Chill mode. But you could never do that. Because you have formed bad habits around 3.1s acceleration always being available. I have the self control and awareness to realize that. You don't.

Building muscle memory and driving habits around 4.4s accel will make you a better driver than one that builds muscle memory around 3.1s accel. I guarantee it. It's fine to disagree with me. I think it's your shortcomings as a driver that lack the understanding of how you really drive depends on what you make available to you, and how you impact cars around you and your passengers.

Sport Mode is for the Track and Showing off. Nothing more.

...I feel I have better self control than the folks that say you don't need 4.4s accel option... have the self control and awareness to realize that..

It's interesting that your own prediction of what might happen if you bought a fast car actually came true. And you now say that you can control the acceleration with no problems, but you previously worried that you wouldn't be able to...

Too bad you didn't listen to your inner alarm bells going off and get the car you wanted in the first place - you'd be richer and happier....

Is the performance to "easy" to get yourself in trouble

Reactions: roguenode
I have no self control. I am fundamentally flawed. I don't know how to drive. I don't know how to park. Does that make you happy !!

And no, not everyone is disagreeing with me. Several understand and agree where I'm coming from.

Why does Tesla offer 3 - 4 accelerations on Performance S/X? Why does Tesla offer chill mode at all on any car?

Maybe you should start a campaign to remove Chill mode (it's only for stupid people that don't have any self control, right).
It would be exactly the same argument you are using here.

I feel I have better self control than the folks that say you don't need 4.4s accel option. I can enjoy and drive the car perfectly fine with 4.4s acceleration. But those that don't have the self control can't seem to deal with that. Or even understand it. Why, because they have no self control. I had enough self control to enjoy and drive it in Chill mode. But you could never do that. Because you have formed bad habits around 3.1s acceleration always being available. I have the self control and awareness to realize that. You don't.

Building muscle memory and driving habits around 4.4s accel will make you a better driver than one that builds muscle memory around 3.1s accel. I guarantee it. It's fine to disagree with me. I think it's your shortcomings as a driver that lack the understanding of how you really drive depends on what you make available to you, and how you impact cars around you and your passengers.

Sport Mode is for the Track and Showing off. Nothing more.

Tesla offers multiple options on the Raven Model S/X because of the need to engage launch control. Ludicrous mode is the same thing as launch mode in other performance cars. A model 3 doesn't need it because it can fully transfer all power without slip at max throttle. Ludicrious+ isn't actually a change in throttle mapping, it's a moved setting that used to be max battery power in which the thermal management of the battery cells is changed to optimize power output.

In what world is anyone saying the car can't be enjoyed with 4.4s acceleration? Or that the AWD is slow? We are saying Tesla doesn't need to cater to people who can't drive properly. How does driving in sport mode encourage bad habits? When doing so properly enforces proper throttle discipline, because you have to actually pay attention to how much you press it instead of being able to just floor it all the time?

Your last paragraph shows how you have absolutely no idea what performance driving means. The entire point of building muscle memory around 3.1s acceleration is so that you can put less down when required. What, do you think when people race these things they either floor it all the time or brake? Proper acceleration management is absolutely critical at any level of performance driving. It sounds like you got scared the one time you floored it at a light and thought "I can't handle this" instead of actually going to autocross or track events, or other high performance training. What you are saying goes against anyone who actually uses the car for high level driving. Obviously it's easier to drive with only 4.4s acceleration, and that's apparently what you want. But in no way does driving with 3.1s make you "worse", it simply requires you to be a better driver and manage your pedal better.

Sorry you didn't have the self control to learn how to do it properly and want Tesla to gimp your car for you. It's a good thing for the road you are now in a safer and slower vehicle.

Reactions: Shemp

It ABSOLUTELY does have that option. It's called the accelerator pedal.
It allows me/you to go 0-60 in any time I desire from 3 seconds up to Never, with almost infinite variability.

I can creep along at <1mph, control the speed the car rolls backwards, and chose exactly how fast, and for how long I want to accelerate.

Why do you feel the need for an engineer in Tesla, to decide for you, how fast you should accelerate?

Say, they put in a 6seconds mode. Some people would like it, some would think it's too slow. So they add a 4 second mode. But you want a 4.4 second mode. So they add a 3.5,4.5,5,5.5 second mode. Now people complain, that the 'car shot forward out of control' (because they got confused as to which mode they were in)...

The car already did, exactly what you wanted it to. i.e. It would do 0.60 in 4.4 seconds if you so desired.

Reactions: camalaio
I can understand where the OP is coming as many performance ICE cars have multiple settings available depending on driving conditions and preferences. These settings though also influence suspension parameters. Even though I would never take my Model 3 Performance out of sport mode unless an unexperienced driver is driving. I believe more power on tap is an important safety feature and even though so many say 0-60 times of a non performance is plenty I say in an emergency condition 1 second is a huge difference in an intersection or a two lane road where you need to accelerate out of trouble or pass or for whatever reason and it is comforting for me to have that power available at any time if needed.

Reactions: Shemp
Definitely have Sport Mode 7C002A0C-53D7-4D96-94A0-9F5652BFAA5E.jpegC23712CE-9AB9-4F0A-B693-9812342DBF93.jpeg

This post is ludicrous!!! I just want mswlogo to admit he doesn't own a tesla. Chill & sport is all you need to drive the P3D. Chill for the friends & family members you with little driving experience (or the ones you don't trust) & sport for every day driving. We don't need a 3.9, 4.1, 4.4, 4.8, 5.0, 5.1, 5.7, etc...mode. There would just be way too many buttons in the driving menu. Just let your foot be your guide.

Reactions: wenkan
I'm a new owner of a P3D "stealth" model in the UK. Was originally getting the LR AWD but was offered the old spec performance model for same price in the end to clear out some existing inventory. Having had little experience with the car so far, and in support of the original post, I personally find the car much nicer to drive for most of the time on most of our UK roads in Chill mode rather than Sport. Even in Chill, I can easily leave other traffic for dead at the lights, and it just seems to make for a more relaxing driving experience all round and should also be getting better range and helping the environment (that is why you bought a Tesla right ;) Of course there are times when I want to use the full power, and I'm sure as I get more confident in the vehicle this will also help, but to all of you macho types out there I have to say, choice is good! One of the really great features of a car like the Tesla M3 is I can change how it drives and feels from the steering response to the throttle to the creep mode, all with just a few screen presses.
I have owned a couple of electric cars previously and neither had anything like the same level of customisation. Previously switching to eco mode in cars like a Renault Zoe was like turning it into a milk float that could barely move up steep hills, so there really was only one driving mode option that was usable in my view.
I would add to the original poster's wish list, in addition to having "standard" mode sitting between Chill and Sport, I would like the option to have a shortcut on the front screen to swap between driving modes rather than need to dig through the menus while on the move if you want to change. At least on the old Zoe there was a mechanical button allowing you to flick between range saving eco mode and normal driving on the fly. I quite miss that.
I think even for folk that don't want this option on their screen, it would be a great feature if we could choose as individuals, our own menu options to shortcut to a corner of the screen or at least to a section of the quick access menu, rather than just the ones dictated by the software developers.

Reactions: mswlogo
Well th
P3D+ is for sure sport and chill. I assume P3D- is as well

If you are supposed to have a performance 3 and see standard go talk to service as you may have the wrong software loaded

Okay I checked again and now it says sport. I swear it said standard when I bought it. Maybe they changed it in an update or something. I honestly dont change those settings very much anyways. I'm in sport with standard steering all the time.

... exactly why I'm in an LR AWD. It's plenty fast for normal driving, has all the excitement I need or want. And, I was able to take the $8k I saved and book a killer, memories-to-remember-forever European cruise for my family.

Same. And with the OTA 5% performance improvements, that LR AWD should break 4.0 in the 0-60 category; should you choose to take advantage of it.

Reactions: phantasms
And if the over the air 5% update makes the 0 - 60 in 4.0 seconds too fast for you, you will have to downgrade to the older gen Model S or X, (which I still love those cars), instead of manipulating the pedal to slow the car down. It's gonna be an expensive lifestyle....constantly downgrading cars as more OTA updates keep increasing performance.

With firmware 36.2.1, that was just released, model 3's got a very nice throttle remap (and power bump). Excellent execution by Tesla this time around as throttle response is more linear, with torque better distributed throughout the range. My LR AWD w/HW3 FSD drives like a completely different car. Loved it before the update, and even more after this update. I suspect the OP might have a different view and may want to try driving one, just to satisfy his own curiosity.

This post is ludicrous!!! I just want mswlogo to admit he doesn't own a tesla. Chill & sport is all you need to drive the P3D. Chill for the friends & family members you with little driving experience (or the ones you don't trust) & sport for every day driving. We don't need a 3.9, 4.1, 4.4, 4.8, 5.0, 5.1, 5.7, etc...mode. There would just be way too many buttons in the driving menu. Just let your foot be your guide.

You're right I don't own a Model 3 Performance any more. You can also check my history of contributions of simple mods for Model 3. And some of my issues with the Model X. I see you have long history of contributions to the forum and have never probably driven a Tesla with a ~4.4s acceleration curve. So how would you even know? By the looks of your history you don't even have a Tesla. Here is my for sale listing.

2018 Model 3 Performance (Stealth with FSD) MSM

And nobody is asking for 7 acceleration curves. I was asking for 3 instead of the wide spread of just two for the Performance Model 3. I think a Model S/X Performance with Ludicrous has like 4 modes.

It's already been done. I know how outrageously priced buttons are these days. Aren't white pixels more expensive than grey/blue ones?

tesla-model-s-hatchback-6a8048466fd7.jpg

You are in the minority. Most people are agreeing with me. I only have 2 levels on my Model X but Standard is where I prefer to be ~4.4s (which is quite a bit faster than any Chill mode). On the Model 3 Performance, Chill was closer to where I wanted to be for daily driving. There is a huge difference between Chill and Sport on Performance Model 3 (3s vs 7s), that is ludicrous !!. I think it should have an additional mode of somewhere around 4-5s. Or just make it a slide control and let you select any curve between Chill and Sport (that might not be so easy though, that may involve many distinct parameters for each "mapping").

Last edited: