Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I drive my Model X (non Performance) more spirited than I ever drove my Performance Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
o_O I have complete control over my foot and the acceleration curve. If I need to punch it, I can. If I need to floor it, I can do that, also.

On public roads, I absolutely never ever need to “floor it” on Model 3 Performance in Sport mode. Not ever on “normal driving”. That excludes showing off what it can do to friends and testing the car out. But for day to day driving it’s over the top.

“Flooring” an AWD Model 3 in Standard Mode or a Model X LR in Standard mode is the perfect limit of performance you need for “normal driving”.

Now if I need to race someone at every traffic light, or go to the race track that’s another matter. Some drivers think they need it constantly. I think it’s those folks that have driving skill issues that feel the constantly need access to full power.

I’m glad you have such perfect self control and perfect foot and never make mistakes like some us mere humans do.

Like I said, there is very good reason that the other Performance cars have more throttle curves. Even many ICE cars do. And based on some responses here, I’m not alone.

Tesla will eventually come around and “fix” it.

My last car was an e-golf and before that was a 450hp BMW. The P3D is much closer to the golf than the BMW in that the accelerator is extremely linear and easy to use compared to a similarly powerful sports car. This post is a little baffling in light of that, as it’s easy to drive the car slow. Moreover, the accelerator’s linear response makes the P3D perfect if you’re trying to rely on regenerative braking and not the brake pedal. My experience has been that this is the smoothest car I’ve ever driven if you use the accelerator well.

I agree that if you’re not smooth with the pedal then you’re going to have a bad time, but I drive the car in heels pretty much every day and what I’ve noticed is how good the feedback is and how easy it is to control throttle response on this car compared to other sports cars.

Reactions: al503 and Shemp
On public roads, I absolutely never ever need to “floor it” on Model 3 Performance in Sport mode. Not ever on “normal driving”. That excludes showing off what it can do to friends and testing the car out. But for day to day driving it’s over the top.

The simple answer, and needs no intervention on behalf of the car, then is 'Don't Floor It' then when you don't want to...

“Flooring” an AWD Model 3 in Standard Mode or a Model X LR in Standard mode is the perfect limit of performance you need for “normal driving”.

There isn't that much of a difference between an AWD M3 and the P M3, especially above 40mph. Both will get you into the same amount of trouble in the same circumstances.

The better tires on the P will get you out of that trouble with better stopping/cornering.

Now if I need to race someone at every traffic light, or go to the race track that’s another matter. Some drivers think they need it constantly. I think it’s those folks that have driving skill issues that feel the constantly need access to full power.

I’m glad you have such perfect self control and perfect foot and never make mistakes like some us mere humans do.

Like I said, there is very good reason that the other Performance cars have more throttle curves. Even many ICE cars do. And based on some responses here, I’m not alone.

Tesla will eventually come around and “fix” it.

I leave my car in 'Sport' mode all the time. Don't feel the need to have to switch modes to go whatever speed I desire. I can drive equally as slowly/smoothly/relaxed in 'Sport' mode as I can in 'Chill', Makes no difference other than how much I have to flex my fight ankle.

I'm quite capable of deciding how much acceleration I feel is appropriate.

Model X is a great car. But don't let not having a "Performance" badge fool you into thinking it won't get you into trouble just as quick as the Model 3 performance.

When you had the model 3 performance, did you ever trying 'flooring' it, while taking a tight corner from rest. It's actually pretty..... un-dramatic.... I say this, to emphasize that, although quick, the P3 isn't 'over-powered', it's got it all under-control.

Would an extra mode be 'nice to have' to play with sometimes, maybe.
Don't think I would use it, and don't think it makes any different to economy, safety, performance usability of the car in any way though.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: xilex and Shemp

@Paddy3101

You can handle the pedal but not posting I guess.

I rarely ever punched it in sport into a turn. There is no place to do that except the track.

I guess some of your Performance cars must have been slow or something. I was quite hand full even going straight.

Model X has NOTHING to do with this, other than it’s Standard Performance curve is nearly identical to the AWD Model 3. About 4.4s 0-60. Faster than 95% of the cars on the road.

Why even have Chill mode? Are you saying only morons that don’t know how to drive would ever use it. Or why Model S isn’t always in Ludicrous mode? There are very good reasons for wanted to set a limit.

I agree you can get in trouble with a Yugo if you tried hard enough.

My last car was an e-golf and before that was a 450hp BMW. The P3D is much closer to the golf than the BMW in that the accelerator is extremely linear and easy to use compared to a similarly powerful sports car. This post is a little baffling in light of that, as it’s easy to drive the car slow. Moreover, the accelerator’s linear response makes the P3D perfect if you’re trying to rely on regenerative braking and not the brake pedal. My experience has been that this is the smoothest car I’ve ever driven if you use the accelerator well.

I agree that if you’re not smooth with the pedal then you’re going to have a bad time, but I drive the car in heels pretty much every day and what I’ve noticed is how good the feedback is and how easy it is to control throttle response on this car compared to other sports cars.

I feel that the M3 Performance drives much like how you would want a 'Perfect' normally aspirated, 450bhp sport saloon would react to the throttle. Instant, Linear and Predictable.

That linearity and predictability makes it so easy to drive, and accessible.

It makes it easy to make good progress, but at the same time, with it NOT feeling 'fast' or 'rushed' or 'on edge'.

Driving 'slow' and making 'fast progress' are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

@Paddy3101

You can handle the pedal but not posting I guess.

I rarely ever punched it in sport into a turn. There is no place to do that except the track.

I guess some of your Performance cars must have been slow or something. I was quite hand full even going straight.

Model X has NOTHING to do with this, other than it’s Standard Performance curve is nearly identical to the AWD Model 3. About 4.4s 0-60. Faster than 95% of the cars on the road.

Why even have Chill mode? Are you saying only morons that don’t know how to drive would ever use it. Or why Model S isn’t always in Ludicrous mode? There are very good reasons for wanted to set a limit.

I agree you can get in trouble with a Yugo if you tried hard enough.

Good luck with your Model X. It's a fine car.

I feel that the M3 Performance drives much like how you would want a 'Perfect' normally aspirated, 450bhp sport saloon would react to the throttle. Instant, Linear and Predictable.

That linearity and predictability makes it so easy to drive, and accessible.

It makes it easy to make good progress, but at the same time, with it NOT feeling 'fast' or 'rushed' or 'on edge'.

Driving 'slow' and making 'fast progress' are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

I totally agree! Having owned a few sports sedans/saloons over the years I feel like the Model 3 is the perfect version for me. It’s incredibly quick with no turbo lag, no attention grabbing exhaust/engine noise, and no issues with traction putting the power down. It puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

Good for you, Tell Elon to remove Chill and everything but Max Performance on all trims because nobody uses it. And they have no self control and shouldn’t own one if they feel they need anything but max 100% of the time.

I know you are being sarcastic, but I do like Chill mode for when my new driver son is behind the wheel.

I don't think anyone would be opposed to adding a "normal" mode like you stated, but in my opinion and it sounds like others here, "Sport" mode is very docile and easy to drive responsibly, and always keeps you a flick of the ankle away from insane acceleration if it is needed for a quick pass, emergency maneuver, etc... as long as your driving skills are good enough. If they did add it, I would still keep mine in "Sport" mode all the time.

As a side note, my motorcycle has "Touring" and "Sport" throttle maps, and I do often ride that in "touring" mode because it can get away from you in "Sport" mode pretty quickly, especially in wet road conditions. I have not found this to be the case in the Tesla, it is very well planted even on wet roads.

I went with a LR AWD Model 3 for this reason honestly. I drove both a AWD and a P and the P just was a bit...too powerful? I mean I love speed and it's not like it was uncontrollable, but the AWD felt more like I could drive it like a normal car and could punch it and fly at the same time. It was the right balance that felt both comfortable and fun for normal driving. The P model was just a bit too touchy, but still lots of fun.

If they ever offered software unlocks of faster acceleration on the AWD (to make it a stealth P), I would love it they kept the current acceleration speed as a "normal" and just added a sport mode you could switch into.

I went with a LR AWD Model 3 for this reason honestly. I drove both a AWD and a P and the P just was a bit...too powerful? I mean I love speed and it's not like it was uncontrollable, but the AWD felt more like I could drive it like a normal car and could punch it and fly at the same time. It was the right balance that felt both comfortable and fun for normal driving. The P model was just a bit too touchy, but still lots of fun.

If they ever offered software unlocks of faster acceleration on the AWD (to make it a stealth P), I would love it they kept the current acceleration speed as a "normal" and just added a sport mode you could switch into.

Exactly.

It's not that I wouldn't want Sport to play with (for a reasonable cost). But I wouldn't buy any Tesla "Performance" car unless is offered a "Standard" Acceleration curve.

I think it can help avoid developing bad habits of gradually driving faster (mainly accelerating faster) because you feel you can get away with it. You might feel you can, but others around you might not expect it.

The only reason why I bought performance was the deal on free supercharging and much shorter delivery time at the time I ordered. In hindsight I'd definitely go for AWD now. And I did. It just so happens to be in a Model X package. And if the efficiency didn't drop on Performance X and the price difference was more reasonable, I might have even opted for it. But if I was locked into that performance curve I would not have.

As someone who has driven tons of powerful cars I’ve concluded that 0-100 in a little under 10 seconds is the sweet spot for a road car. At least for me. I’ve modded all my cars and always wanted more power. But when you have a really really quick car you can’t fully enjoy the acceleration. It’s go and then suddenly it’s arresting speed. This is coming from someone who used to drive his Z06 to 150mph every day commuting to work. I had a Performance model 3 press car for a few days. I loved it, ran 11.4, article coming soon. But, and I NEVER thought I’d say this, when I dropped it off and picked up my AWD 3 it was somehow more enjoyable...and yes finally felt slow. It took a week or so to feel fast again. lol. The P3 is the better car all day of course, but I get what the OP is saying. The AWD does 0-100 in ~9.2ish.

all that being said, because I’m a human of errors, if they allow me to purchase a power upgrade I will for sure. lol

But, and I NEVER thought I’d say this, when I dropped it off and picked up my AWD 3 it was somehow more enjoyable...and yes finally felt slow. It took a week or so to feel fast again. lol. The P3 is the better car all day of course, but I get what the OP is saying. The AWD does 0-100 in ~9.2ish.

all that being said, because I’m a human of errors, if they allow me to purchase a power upgrade I will for sure. lol

This is what shocked me about the AWD (non-P). I so much enjoy the feeling of accelerating and getting up to speed that when I didn't feel that so much in the P version (it was more like blink and boom, you're at speed), I was honestly confused. Where did that sensation go?? I was very happy to find it again in the AWD.

Reactions: phantasms
Found a pic of the OP's foot. This may be the problem

Attachments

• F1C7CED5-D8D5-4777-8EEA-61FF8E4AAA2D.jpeg
    F1C7CED5-D8D5-4777-8EEA-61FF8E4AAA2D.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 89