Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I drove my first Tesla 6 years ago — and I still believe it's the best thing the company has created

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only VDS pic I see on that page shows the battery charge at about 80% in performance mode with an Ideal Range of 239 miles displayed.

The writer says "This is the Roadster Sport, version 3.0. It has a juicier battery pack, serving up more range (350 miles per charge)"

I think he just made up / estimated that 350 mile number.

the-interior-is-nice-but-not-excessively-luxurious-carbon-fiber-is-everywhere-and-you-sit-down-in-a-little-two-seat-tub-the-momo-steering-wheel-is-all-business--and-theres-no-power-steering-more-on-that-later.jpg

a-separate-small-touchscreen-allows-you-to-adjust-the-roadsters-functions-performance-mode-intensifies-the-driving-but-cuts-into-range-still-its-difficult-to-drain-the-battery--something-i-noticed-in-09-a-whole-day-of-aggressive-driving-wouldnt-leave-you-craving-an-electron-fill-up.jpg

It's certainly a 3.0 but the ideal range in performance mode is a bit on the low side.

I did. It's not 350.

Hard to tell, since we don't know how much of the battery/range is "hidden" under standard/performance display mode in a 3.0 battery. We also don't know the incremental range gained by a range charge.

In other words, we don't know the % the battery is normally charged to in a standard/performance charge (90%?), nor the amount that is "hidden" in standard/performance display mode that would be shown in range mode (10%?). Without these two it seems like you cannot infer anything from the picture above.

IF it is 10% top and bottom (like the 1.5/2.0/2.5) then the picture implies a full ideal range of ~360 miles. (239 miles/80%*1.2)

Last edited:
I have to agree with the author. I just got my Model S with the autopilot and it is an amazing vehicle. It's aim is to isolate you from the world in its cocoon like bubble of comfort, luxury and quiet.

No matter how "sporty" the image of he S Tesla's marketing might want to project, it is anything but a drivers car.

So I must return to my razor-sharp-handling Roadster every so often to get those goosebumps ;).
That feeling never goes away.

I calculated that a full standard mode charge of the 3.0 pack using the VDS at 239 ideal miles in performance mode, which is about 80% full, would yield 300 miles fully changed in Standard or Performance. Typically the spread between range (245) and standard (190) ideal miles from the traditional pack gives Range mode charging approximately 29% more range. Using that figure the 3.0 battery should charge up to around 370+ ideal miles in range mode. The calculation comes out to 387 ideal miles.

Last edited:
I calculated that a full standard mode charge of the 3.0 pack using the VDS at 239 ideal miles in performance mode, which is about 80% full, would yield 300 miles fully changed in Standard or Performance. Typically the spread between range (245) and standard (190) ideal miles from the traditional pack gives Range mode charging approximately 29% more range. Using that figure the 3.0 battery should charge up to around 370+ ideal miles in range mode. The calculation comes out to 387 ideal miles.
A full Perf mode charge displays 90% of the Range mode ideal miles although it charges to the same level as Range mode. It doesn't show the bottom 10% which would be about 35 miles. Based on that picture and assuming the bottom 35 miles are not included in the 239 miles displayed, a Range mode charge would give about 345 miles. That's consistent with other reports.