Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I go to my S 100D today. No vanity mirrors or upgraded MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery a week ago... no lighted mirrors no upgraded MCU. The way I look at it is if I hadn't read about the upgrades here on TMC would I still be happy with the car? The answer is still a resounding yes. Sure it kind of bugs me but this is the way Tesla operates and I knew that going in. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss. :)

My wife has been unhappy with the car from day one since it didn't have the lighted vanity mirrors that her $20K Prius has. I mailed several contacts at Fremont service quoting the blog promise to upgrade us and have had crickets. I've never not had someone there respond when I email them directly. I can only imagine the eye rolling when they got my email :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: viper2ko
My wife has been unhappy with the car from day one since it didn't have the lighted vanity mirrors that her $20K Prius has. I mailed several contacts at Fremont service quoting the blog promise to upgrade us and have had crickets. I've never not had someone there respond when I email them directly. I can only imagine the eye rolling when they got my email :rolleyes:

For sure my wife agrees the lighted vanity mirror is a major refresh. It justifies the P100D upgrade now.

Don't feel too bad.. with all of the changes that have happened (uncorking, refresh, AP2.0), lighted vanity mirrors and MCU upgrade are pretty minor. The older MCU is still plenty fast for the main functions of the car. And lighted vanity mirrors is a small thing (and your SC may retrofit them, if you ask very nicely).

Don't feel too bad.. with all of the changes that have happened (uncorking, refresh, AP2.0), lighted vanity mirrors and MCU upgrade are pretty minor. The older MCU is still plenty fast for the main functions of the car. And lighted vanity mirrors is a small thing (and your SC may retrofit them, if you ask very nicely).

new mcu a minor upgrade? an upgrade that can't/won't be retrofitted by sc is hardly a minor upgrade

Reactions: Trebek1762
So I'm getting an inventory S100D built in November 2017. Am I correct that I will be missing only the following features from new cars:
  • lighted vanity mirrors
  • new MCU

And I should still have AP2.5 (paid for enhanced)? Am I "uncorked"? I pick it up in a few weeks. Just want to make sure I shouldn't switch it up again.

We can't look at a Tesla vehicle through the same lense we use to look at other auto manufacturers. Tesla's are completely different animals more akin to mobile devices such as Android or IOS phones where a new hardware iteration or version comes out every year. Trying to keep up can get very expensive, which is why an OTA software update system is such an amazing differentiator. So where you might lack a few pieces of new hardware you gain new features for your existing hardware several times a year. To me it's a win no matter how you look at it.

Tesla's are completely different animals more akin to mobile devices such as Android or IOS phones where a new hardware iteration or version comes out every year.

That's the problem though, they don't come out with a new model every year, it is more like they come out with a new model every couple of months or so...

When you buy an iPhone in September, you know you have a year of owning the latest tech with no danger of something new arriving.

With Tesla you never get that level of comfort, it is always a risk, and in general car buyers are not used to this and don't appreciate the uncertainty.

I'm sure everyone here understands that this is how it is with Tesla, but it doesn't mean we all have to like it...

Reactions: mal_tsla