Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I got charged for delivery of my M 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
H

hcdavis3

Last Friday I took delivery of my M 3 LR RWD AP 19 inch wheels. I specifically asked one of the delivery people the day before to make sure the car was sufficiently charged so I could make the drive home. I was told no problem. When I arrived to pickup my car, I went over it thoroughly and thankfully the car was perfect. But there was not even close enough of charge to get home. Delivery guy says no problem and puts my car on a Supercharger when a stall opened up. Stayed about an hour and then headed home. Got home checked my credit card online and found I was charged for the Supercharger session at the dealership. This is the equivalent of me going to my Toyota dealership to pick up a new car and the salesperson says I need 20 bucks from you to fill your car with gas. I’ve read where other stores charge new customers cars before delivery. This seems just plain wrong to me. Your thoughts appreciated.

Yes, this happens to many people. I got a charge because the service center left my car in while it was being serviced. Tesla will likely ignore any attempts you make to get it corrected too.
Thanks man. Well that sucks on both counts. It’s not the 6 bucks, it’s the principle.

They don't start prepping your car until the day of delivery, sometimes no even until you arrive or shortly before. There wouldn't be enough time to do a Level 2 charge assuming they even had a Level 2 charger available. As for supercharging, it always costs money (unless you have free supercharging promo). That's not something your salesperson or the store can waive.

They don't start prepping your car until the day of delivery, sometimes no even until you arrive or shortly before. There wouldn't be enough time to do a Level 2 charge assuming they even had a Level 2 charger available. As for supercharging, it always costs money (unless you have free supercharging promo). That's not something your salesperson or the store can waive.
Thanks for your thoughts.

I took delivery last Friday of a July 2018 M 3. It had 60 miles on it. The car was perfect. No discounts available no matter how hard I pressed. I see your M3 is a July build too. How has the car been for you?

...That's not something your salesperson or the store can waive.

No, not from a rogue employee who wants to defy the company's policy and keeps promising a free charge.

It's rare that a gasoline car company wouldn't provide a "free" full tank of gasoline for a new car. As a matter of fact, some window Moroney stickers even say "Additional Equipment: Full Tank of Gas...INCLUDED".

window_sticker.jpg

Since Tesla window Moroney stickers do not say "First Full Charge...Included", Tesla employees should refrain from promising a free charge upon delivery.

We need to foster a culture of honesty in Tesla badly!

I think OP's point is that Tesla as a company should do something about it, not that it was the salesperson's fault

Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
No, not from a rogue employee who wants to defy the company's policy and keeps promising a free charge.

I mean literally, there’s nothing the stores or sales people can do about the Superchargers charging you money. Supercharging has automated billing, completely separate from the stores. Rogue employee or not, the stores have nothing to do with the Superchargers even if they happen to share a location.

I think OP's point is that Tesla as a company should do something about it, not that it was the salesperson's fault

Understood. My point was that it’s incorrect to say that the store charged the OP for the supercharging. The store has nothing to do with the supercharger. But I agree the salesperson or store should make it up to OP in some way given their unrealistic promise that the car would be fully charged.

...The store has nothing to do with the supercharger...

Tesla is a high tech company.

It can detect whether the car is supercharged freely pre-delivery or with a fee to the customer after delivery.

Tesla needs to correct wrongdoings to gain credibility from the public.

It's not hard: Just post on the web/FAQ/Delivery Reminder E-mail/window Moroney stickers that do not expect a free charge even when promised by a rogue Tesla employee.

Credibility is important and Tesla should be held responsible!

Reactions: adaptabl
Tesla is a high tech company.

It can detect whether the car is supercharged freely pre-delivery or with a fee to the customer after delivery.

Tesla needs to correct wrongdoings to gain credibility from the public.

It's not hard: Just post on the web/FAQ/Delivery Reminder E-mail/window Moroney stickers that do not expect a free charge even when promised by a rogue Tesla employee.

Credibility is important and Tesla should be held responsible!

Agreed. Or a 1 day grace period for supercharging fees to help people get home.

Actually, over here in Germany it is highly uncommon to get an ICE car delivered with a full tank. From my experience it is usually a quarter of a tank which should easily get you to the next gas station to fill up. Has been common practise for many years.
My e-Golf otoh was fully charged when I picked it up at the factory in Dresden.

Reactions: Dana1
Probably the Salesperson fault.

But as mentioned Supercharger billing is automated. It handshakes with the car to see the VIN and then bills it automatically to the online account associated with that VIN.

It's an awesome system because at superchargers you simply just plug in and unplug. No messing around with credit cards or anything.

In this case, the guy probably should have clarified the above.

Agreed. Or a 1 day grace period for supercharging fees to help people get home.

Bingo.

About 4 lines of code in the billing software ..

if ($supercharger_data_record[date] <= $customer_vehicle[in_service_date]) {
zero_rate($supercharger_data_record[],$customer_vehicle[]);
} else {
full_rate($supercharger_data_record[],$customer_vehicle[]);
}

Reactions: harrismoe
Bingo.

About 4 lines of code in the billing software ..

if ($supercharger_data_record[date] <= $customer_vehicle[in_service_date]) {
zero_rate($supercharger_data_record[],$customer_vehicle[]);
} else {
full_rate($supercharger_data_record[],$customer_vehicle[]);
}

Should tweet Elon with this. He takes a lot of feedback via twitter.

To OP, you can also submit a support request online and check the "raise to executives" giving them this idea. It's possible they could reimburse you the charge (or just add 6$ of supercharge credit next time you use one).

Last Friday I took delivery of my M 3 LR RWD AP 19 inch wheels. I specifically asked one of the delivery people the day before to make sure the car was sufficiently charged so I could make the drive home. I was told no problem. When I arrived to pickup my car, I went over it thoroughly and thankfully the car was perfect. But there was not even close enough of charge to get home. Delivery guy says no problem and puts my car on a Supercharger when a stall opened up. Stayed about an hour and then headed home. Got home checked my credit card online and found I was charged for the Supercharger session at the dealership. This is the equivalent of me going to my Toyota dealership to pick up a new car and the salesperson says I need 20 bucks from you to fill your car with gas. I’ve read where other stores charge new customers cars before delivery. This seems just plain wrong to me. Your thoughts appreciated.
Two points from me...

A) Unlike TAM, my experience is that most of the new cars that I've picked up haven't been full.
B) It was actually a good thing that they charged and you got charged, now you know that you have Supercharging enabled and that your account is correctly attached. That's a great thing.

More importantly, just get in the car and drive, let the past be the past and let the future enjoy the car. I hope that you've got a great road trip planned this weekend!

• Funny
Reactions: hcdavis3
B) It was actually a good thing that they charged and you got charged, now you know that you have Supercharging enabled and that your account is correctly attached. That's a great thing.

Even better would be a note on your account:

10-MAR-2019: "XYZ Supercharger - Pre-Delivery charge - Courtesy of $NAME, your Tesla consultant. Thank you for your purchase!" $0.00

Reactions: hcdavis3