Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have absolutely had it with m3p 20’s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on my. 12th pothole casualty. 4 in last two weeks. Anyone in here move down in size? Experience?
Yes. This is one of the most common complaints amongst M3P clients.

Dropping down to a stronger 19" or 18" wheel significantly reduces the chance of damaging the wheel and can increase ride comfort.

Thanks,
Danny

18” wheels were a key reason I preferred a M3 over MY. Wish I could go smaller, but the brake calipers would be an issue. Rear calipers of M3 RWD are very close with 18”.

Does M3P have bigger brakes than RWD or other 18” models? If so, you might have issues downsizing.

Unless you keep the overall diameter of the wheel/tire combo the same, aren't you risking messing up the speedo, AP, and possibly other systems?
The 3 factory available tire sizes: 235/45R18, 235/40R19, and 235/35R20 are all within 0.5% of each other. 669mm, 671mm, and 673mm in overall diameter respectively. Source: Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets

New vs worn tires will change your overall diameter by more than 4mm.

I am on my. 12th pothole casualty. 4 in last two weeks. Anyone in here move down in size? Experience?
Get 18” wheels and 235/45/18 tires. That will give you better efficiency, slightly quicker acceleration, and much better road hazard protection.

IMG_4068.jpeg
IMG_4066.jpeg
IMG_4067.jpeg
IMG_4051.jpeg
IMG_4057.jpeg
IMG_4054.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I have on 19 inch MW05 Martian wheels that are fully forged. Another choice I was considering was the Titan fully forged wheels as well. Fully forged are stronger and more resistant to bending. Although I haven't hit a pothole with my Tesla yet.

Reactions: tm1v2 and rpiotro
I highly recommend the apex 18x9.5 wheels. The ec7s are great, and I have no issues without hub centric spacers, on the street or track. Brake clearance is great. They are lighter and stronger than most other options. Simply a higher performance wheel than others at the price point. I run 235/40r18s due to tire availability and pricing.

L8d

• Funny
Reactions: Adam3