Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I just bought Full Self Driving post purchase.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who’s better than you Comma. Thanks very much. There’s too much misinformation out there. Will FSD work OK in the meantime? I have hardware 2.5 I believe..

Lol, just repeating what's been posted elsewhere. Yes, Elon has said that there's no benefit for the current software on HW3. Upgrades begin once the software can take advantage of the new hardware. My guess is once they're about to release the city driving features.

Elon Musk on earnings call said:
I think from features and functionality standpoint, I think there is no point getting the FSD upgrade if you don’t really [already?] have it in the car for probably about 2 or 3 months. That’s when we will start releasing features that are materially different from the feature set available on the Version 2 hardware. So, just no need to rush to the – get your computer replaced. It’s like 2 to 3 months before it becomes relevant and then it will obviously increase rapidly from then.

This may not be word for word, as it is a transcript. Have not listened to everything myself. But you get the idea.

Last edited:
This may not be word for word, as it is a transcript. Have not listened to everything myself. But you get the idea.
Thanks Alan. I listened to the entire earnings call live and he did say that. He also has been on Twitter saying the price for FSD is going up in May. That’s why I ordered it yesterday.

A 2018 car with AP purchased with original order an it's not EAP? I didn't think the basic AP was offered until well into 2019. EAP would have Navigate on AP. Basic AP plus FSD would also have NoAP.
I purchased my car March of this year. It was an inventory car. I purchased Auto Pilot as part of my package. That AP only does Auto steering and TACC. I needed that version to upgrade to the latest FSD which now includes I believe Navigate on Autopilot and summon. The original AP was 3k. It would have been 5K after purchase. I was invoiced 7400 for the FSD including MA sales tax. It would have been 5K if I purchased it at the time of sale. I didn’t have the cash for FSD at time of purchase. Now just waiting for the update to appear on my screen. Tesla support told me they wouldn’t push my update over the weekend and that it would likely happen first part of next week. I did this because I thought I heard EM say the price for FSD goes up in May.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi hc - Have you already checked to see if FSD shows up when clicking on "View Details" on tesla.com. Should show "Full Self-Driving Capability" under "Options". I did a print screen of this page, as proof I purchased FSD, as I didn't get an invoice (only my cc statement showing the charge).

I purchased my car March of this year. It was an inventory car. I purchased Auto Pilot as part of my package. That AP only does Auto steering and TACC. I needed that version to upgrade to the latest FSD which now includes I believe Navigate on Autopilot and summon. The original AP was 3k. It would have been 5K after purchase. I was invoiced 7400 for the FSD including MA sales tax. It would have been 5K if I purchased it at the time of sale. I didn’t have the cash for FSD at time of purchase. Now just waiting for the update to appear on my screen. Tesla support told me they wouldn’t push my update over the weekend and that it would likely happen first part of next week. I did this because I thought I heard EM say the price for FSD goes up in May.

It’s likely to be a $1000-ish increase in May.

That said - right away you’ll get Navigate on Autopilot, Summon mode and Autopark added. Those are actual, real features, the value of which is different for each of us. For me, it makes my wife happy, so it’s worth it. Even more so, I’d lose my marbles if I knew there were features available that were just software-locked to me! So I paid the $5k, and rolled it into the vehicle financing. Worth it in my case - to each their own!

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3
It’s likely to be a $1000-ish increase in May.

That said - right away you’ll get Navigate on Autopilot, Summon mode and Autopark added. Those are actual, real features, the value of which is different for each of us. For me, it makes my wife happy, so it’s worth it. Even more so, I’d lose my marbles if I knew there were features available that were just software-locked to me! So I paid the $5k, and rolled it into the vehicle financing. Worth it in my case - to each their own!
Thanks Murph. That’s awesome. I wasn’t sure how much FSD was going up, but your estimate sounds about right. This makes me feel better about my purchase. The additional features to me aren’t gimmicks, they are things I will definitely use right away. Now I’m waiting not patiently for
the update to get pushed to my car. Enjoy your weekend.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
Hi hc - Have you already checked to see if FSD shows up when clicking on "View Details" on tesla.com. Should show "Full Self-Driving Capability" under "Options". I did a print screen of this page, as proof I purchased FSD, as I didn't get an invoice (only my cc statement showing the charge).
Hi j. FSD is there and an invoice to click on. What I did was accidentally pay my AMEX right after I set up my account for 6 months interest free, and AMEX won’t let me cancel my payment. What a dope. I guess Amex doesn’t want to be giving me an interest free 6 month loan.

Well right off the bat I think the best thing you'll get is auto lane change for Autopilot. Regardless of if your on navigate on autopilot or not. Just put the signal on and it will change lanes and turn off the signal for you. No more fighting with it like the standard AP.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3