Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I just ordered an ID4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get what makes you feel happy!!

I've just seen Vauxhall has released a 7 seater EV, on paper it looks fine and interms of reliability am pretty sure it'll be better than our X.

BUT am so glad am lucky enough to own/drive our X everyday versus the Combo-life.

Only you know what makes you smile every day.

The Polestar 2 was nice to look at, and well built, but the Tesla M3P was hugely more fun to drive.

Reactions: gangzoom
And don't forget SuC chsrges for DC at the car. Ionity and others charge for AC at the charger. What is the difference? No one knows for sure. 5-10% maybe i.e.if you need 45kwh you could be paying for 47-50kwh.

True.

I am expecting Tesla to change that policy sometime in the future, I expect it's quite an overhead on particularly warm or cold days when the climate might work hard while the vehicle is plugged in, but as long as the kWh prices remain so competitive it's not going to make a massive difference to a lot people I think.

That’s interesting. I always thought about superchargers in terms of convenience and not cost. I’ve never looked at or used ionity etc. Didn’t realise it was so expensive.

Back on topic, I’m not sure the id3/4 is a fair comparison for a M3. Maybe the BMW i4 will be. At this point in time I would prefer the build quality of the BMW. Also, far too many M3’s around now! One lives on every street! Cult of Tesla winds me up too ..
I would think the i4 would be a better comparison but cross shopping for the id3/4 does seem to happen - lack of choice atm I guess ? There are no Tesla on my street, but there are 16 BMW !! Perhaps a bit naive (culty!) but I would think popularity is a thumbs up for improving quality.

The use of superchargers is fairly sparodic for most people so cost makes little difference to me, and some of the networks are the same price or cheaper than the superchargers anyway. Spending £40k+ on a car then worrying about an extra £20 a few times a year charging while drinking a £3.50 cup of coffee while you wait shouldn;t be a swing item. If you have to use these chargers daily then even the cost of the Tesla superchargers makes some ICE cars seem reasonable.

That wasn't a swing item for purchase of the car, but that example was for a one-way trip not including charging when we get there or the return journey.

I haven't done the sums, but as there is an SC near where we are staying it's be £15-20 in total to do the whole trip in the M3. I think there's a free 50kW charger at the destination, so less convenient to charge the ID.4 because it will need more charge and will be slower anyway, but that puts the total in the £60-65 area.

So, yeah, as we only do these kind of journeys a couple of times a year it's not a big deal in the grand scheme, but it does mean we are more likely to pick the M3 for them.

If money really wasn't any kind of consideration then I'd probably just have an EQS and lounge in the back while my driver did all the work that FSD keep promising ;)

The Polestar 2 was nice to look at, and well built, but the Tesla M3P was hugely more fun to drive.

Fun would be my most important priority, a simile really is priceless:)

If you have kids don't under estimate the fun value of the sketch pad, forget Netflix/YouTube/Games, its been able to draw in car that my daughter loves the most about the touchscreen!!

51136261930_d68ea71cfb_c_d.jpg

Oh nice, do you live near to it? I live in a village in Darlington where I’ve seen around 6 Model 3s kicking around.
I live in Derbyshire, but the In-Laws are in Guisborough and they are having some home improvements done using a company in Darlington, so have been heading over there quite a bit, and if I go to my Dad's and then across to Guisborough I also go past Scotch Corner.

Interesting review of the ID4 and comparison with M3, thanks for posting @TooEager

I love my M3 but can relate to a number of the reasons why you switched, specifically:
1) Hatchback - we now have a dog, so this would be good
2) Wind / road noise - on the motorway it is too noisy for a premium car, I just turn the music up
3) Build quality - I do miss the Audi build quality I was used to with previous cars
4) Apple Carplay - our household is all in with Apple so this would be good

That said, I’d done my research and knew all of this before diving in with Tesla, but I wanted to move from years of Audi diesel ownership to EV and in 2019, that meant Tesla. There are many positives that I enjoy - range, driving fun, driving visibility, interior space, economy, premium connectivity, supercharger network and more. I’m not remotely interested in autonomous driving though, I’d rather see Tesla improve their build quality and noise aspects than continuing to focus on this and games.

When the warranty is up on my M3 I’ll be wanting a hatchback so will take a close look at the MY, ID4 and Hyundai Ioniq 5 (which looks great in my opinion). The thing most likely to keep me in a Tesla is the supercharger network, so it’ll be interesting to see how far along the non Tesla charging infrastructure has developed in a couple of years. Would be good to get your thoughts on this as you get more time with your ID4.

Reactions: Jez_GB
If you need a larger car and don't mind the less exciting drive, I highly recommend the ID4. It's a totally different car. I like driving so am actually getting a different car for weekend driving etc. But if you want something practical/reliable for the family I would take this over the M3 any day. I'd really need to live with the MY to know how it compares - but my guess is I'd stick with the ID4 if time was an issue, I had more service station visits with the M3 than any other car I've owned.

Speaking of larger car, I don't suppose I could be a little cheeky and ask you to measure the boot floor?

The Mrs has a floor mat in her current car for the dogs that. measures 965x965mm and we're trying to figure out if we should keep it to go in the iD4, but I'm damned if I can find any measurements online - they all quote the space in Litres (as if that's useful on its own).

We're managed to find out that the VW equivalent is about 10mm longer so we should be OK there, but it's the width that seems to be top secret.

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I thought people might be interested in how the vampire drain for the iD.4 compares to the M3.

So, parked up the Mrs' iD.4 with 77% SOC a week ago and today we checked the charge...

I think it's fair to say that it's done a little better than the M3 does. Today - after seven days sat not plugged in - it has 77% SOC. Yep, it's not lost a single percent in seven days.

I'm a bit jealous about that, my M3 would have been under 70% by now!

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I thought people might be interested in how the vampire drain for the iD.4 compares to the M3.

So, parked up the Mrs' iD.4 with 77% SOC a week ago and today we checked the charge...

I think it's fair to say that it's done a little better than the M3 does. Today - after seven days sat not plugged in - it has 77% SOC. Yep, it's not lost a single percent in seven days.

So, to paraphrase the above, when its not actually doing anything, its way more efficient than the Tesla.

I have heard similar about other ev's as well. Tesla seems to be the outlier here. Not sure why. Some of it may be down to the massive computing power that seems to have to fire up in its entirety when the car wakes for any reason but not sure this fully accounts for it. Definitely needs a small coprocessor to run sentry etc though. drain with that on is insane

Reactions: Adopado
I’d noticed the same with our e208. On the negative side, the car hasn’t connected with the app for about 4 months so I can’t pre-heat/cool car nor schedule charging.

Tbh, that functionality didn’t actually work for the first 4 months when car and app did occasionally connect.

I'm actually going from a ID.3 to a Model 3 (all being well collecting it this week).

I very much like the design of the ID.3, and it's so quiet inside and drives well (suspension is very plush, perhaps too much body roll if you like a spirited drive). Only real negatives to me are the extremely basic seats and the software (shared with the ID.4) is still fairly basic and buggy/unreliable. Takes a Good while to fully initialise when you press the brake to start the car and it keeps resetting certain settings (drive mode aways returns to comfort by design but other settings are reset randomly).

I really like the car but just fancied the extra performance, saloon size and tech of the Model 3

Reactions: GRiLLA
So, to paraphrase the above, when its not actually doing anything, its way more efficient than the Tesla.

Yeah, but now we've used it a bit the range for the driving it has been doing (mostly local 30/40 roads) suggests a realistic maximum of 300-310 miles, which compares pretty well with my M3's 330-340 miles (TeslaMate figures).

On a long run I think the M3 would do a lot better, mostly because of the aerodynamics, but right now they're way closer than I would have expected. And of course the M3's performance is streets ahead, even in chill mode.

Right now I would say that VW have made a pretty good car, the MY has some difficult comparisons ahead when it finally launches in the UK not just from the iD.4, but the other vehicles that will be on the market in the same class by the time it gets here. The future is really looking up in the EV market.

Reactions: NATO
I'm actually going from a ID.3 to a Model 3 (all being well collecting it this week).

I very much like the design of the ID.3, and it's so quiet inside and drives well (suspension is very plush, perhaps too much body roll if you like a spirited drive). Only real negatives to me are the extremely basic seats and the software (shared with the ID.4) is still fairly basic and buggy/unreliable. Takes a Good while to fully initialise when you press the brake to start the car and it keeps resetting certain settings (drive mode aways returns to comfort by design but other settings are reset randomly).

I really like the car but just fancied the extra performance, saloon size and tech of the Model 3
We are a two car household with a Model 3 and an ID.3, and I’d agree entirely with your summary!

Reactions: NATO