TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

I just want to put stuff in the car w/o drama

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by gavine, Sep 16, 2016.

1. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

This is a feature request that I wonder if I'm the only weirdo who would want it. I have mentioned before my dislike about the fact that opening the door on a Tesla turns everything on.......contactor closes, coolant pump starts running, AC turns on, radio turns on, etc. That's kind of okay if you're going to drive (although I'd still rather have a start button), but quite often I just need to put stuff in the car. This is especially relevant with the Model X when putting something in the back, because now there's the falcon door situation.

I would love to be able to open the windows with the app (or fob) so that I can put things in the car and not have the car boot everything up every time.

Thoughts?

• Like x 2
  2. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

I see the logic in your request, and I too have the use-case every now and then. However, unless they redesign the key fob, I don't see how one could implement such a request. Should be possible with the app.

3. CUBldr97

CUBldr97 Member

how about a driver select-able setting, don't start or boot up the car until there is weight on driver seat and i hit the brake pedal...IE a start button... And then if I want to start the car, do it through the phone app... also why cant we open the trunk through the phone app?

• Like x 4
  4. ccutrer

ccutrer Member

Why can't we open any of the doors through the app?

• Like x 1
  5. Stasla

Stasla Member

Why can't we roll windows up/down through the app?

• Informative x 1
  6. gavine

I just read in the manual that you can open all of the windows by holding down the roof button on the fob.

I guess I should have checked before starting this thread. Sorry.

• Informative x 2
  7. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

Wow, thanks for reading & finding that, let me try it. This general topic is still gonna help owners.

• Like x 1
  8. Stasla

Stasla Member

How long do you have to hold it and does the car have to be unlocked? I just tried holding for about 10sec both locked and unlocked and nothing happened with the windows o_O

• Informative x 1
  9. Buddy

Buddy Member

I've read on this forum that this feature was removed in a software update.

• Informative x 1
  10. jerjozwik

jerjozwik Member

@Buddy is correct. ive tried on my s to no avail.

11. deonb

deonb Active Member

That feature was removed quite a while ago (2013?) due to people accidentally opening the windows remotely when they have the key in their back-pocket.

12. gavine

Great. I request one feature, and they remove it :rolleyes:

13. deonb

deonb Active Member

Actually they removed the feature 2 weeks after I complained it wasn't working right. I often had 1 random window of the car that opened itself when I was in a shopping center etc. The remote didn't have such a function - when you pressed-and-held the remote it always opened all Windows - not just 1.

But Tesla service kept insisting that I was butt-dialing the remote. They even pulled logs. My response was that the remote didn't have a "1 random window down" feature even if I WAS butt-dialing it, but they didn't budge on their stance.

However, after they removed the press-and-hold-for-open remote feature the "1 random window down" problem also went away. I still think it was 2 different issues that they fixed at the same time when they happened to work in the same codebase.

Alas. One of those things we'll never know the answer to.

14. gmtom1

gmtom1 Member

On my Model S, if I open only the trunk, the car doesn't come on. Is it not the same in the X?

• Like x 1
  15. ccutrer

ccutrer Member

It is the same.