Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I just want to put stuff in the car w/o drama

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gavine

Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
This is a feature request that I wonder if I'm the only weirdo who would want it. I have mentioned before my dislike about the fact that opening the door on a Tesla turns everything on.......contactor closes, coolant pump starts running, AC turns on, radio turns on, etc. That's kind of okay if you're going to drive (although I'd still rather have a start button), but quite often I just need to put stuff in the car. This is especially relevant with the Model X when putting something in the back, because now there's the falcon door situation.

I would love to be able to open the windows with the app (or fob) so that I can put things in the car and not have the car boot everything up every time.

Thoughts?

I just read in the manual that you can open all of the windows by holding down the roof button on the fob.

I guess I should have checked before starting this thread. Sorry.
How long do you have to hold it and does the car have to be unlocked? I just tried holding for about 10sec both locked and unlocked and nothing happened with the windows o_O

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I just read in the manual that you can open all of the windows by holding down the roof button on the fob.

I guess I should have checked before starting this thread. Sorry.

Wow, thanks for reading & finding that, let me try it. This general topic is still gonna help owners.

That feature was removed quite a while ago (2013?) due to people accidentally opening the windows remotely when they have the key in their back-pocket.

Great. I request one feature, and they remove it :rolleyes:

Actually they removed the feature 2 weeks after I complained it wasn't working right. I often had 1 random window of the car that opened itself when I was in a shopping center etc. The remote didn't have such a function - when you pressed-and-held the remote it always opened all Windows - not just 1.

But Tesla service kept insisting that I was butt-dialing the remote. They even pulled logs. My response was that the remote didn't have a "1 random window down" feature even if I WAS butt-dialing it, but they didn't budge on their stance.

However, after they removed the press-and-hold-for-open remote feature the "1 random window down" problem also went away. I still think it was 2 different issues that they fixed at the same time when they happened to work in the same codebase.

Alas. One of those things we'll never know the answer to.