Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I like the new standard wheel design! Goodbye Slipstreams

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the S has new wheels now...I actually think they look rather nice.

Thoughts? Including extended range, these seem like a much better option than the 21s. Dare I say they actually look better than the 21s.

(If this has been posted before delete it)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-02-16 at 10.08.55 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-02-16 at 10.08.55 PM.png
    291 KB · Views: 532
Reactions: LN1_Casey
I was never a fan of slipstreams, so I think most anything is an improvement. I’m admittedly biased, but I think the 19” Cyclones are about as good as it gets.

I HATED the slipstreams for the first few months they were out then I got a loaner with them and they grew on me. I was beyond pissed when they got rid of the original 19' inch wheels (which I still think look the best).

I hardly ever see the cyclone wheels.

They still have the sonic carbon slipstreams though.;)

I'm just glad the new wheels are available in 19". Hopefully the era of easily damaged large wheels and new wheel designs only coming out in the larger size is coming to an end.

Of the few mods I have made to my car, the best decision I made is to replace the 21" wheels with 19" wheels.

I just can't seem to take my 21s off my car even though I should have by now. My wife just cruises along with her 19s with no worries of destroying them to potholes and doesn't have to worry about curbing them every 2 seconds.

I prefer the tempest design as well. I like the slightly dorky "high-tech" efficient look on Teslas instead if the ICE racer look. And the covers can be replaced when you curb them. I wonder what a set will cost and I'm looking forward to data comparing them with the slipstreams. For next winter I want a set of winter tires/rims so I'm seriously considering making the tempest by the daily drivers (if they are noticeably more efficient, and relegating the slips to winter duty.

I just can't seem to take my 21s off my car even though I should have by now. My wife just cruises along with her 19s with no worries of destroying them to potholes and doesn't have to worry about curbing them every 2 seconds.

I absolutely would have damaged wheels now if I kept the 21s on.

For me, it was an easy decision as I hardly ever see them anyway. I wanted the toughest and most efficient wheels possible

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
I actually like the tempest design too. But I do think that the “two tone” slipstreams offered on the X look pretty good. It negates the worst part about the slipstreams - the chonky rim - and makes them look very turbine-esque. But I wouldn’t be able to stomach an extra $2000 just to have the same wheels with small parts blacked out:
1EDC5793-A332-42A6-8F9F-6DF13DEB49F8.jpeg

I absolutely would have damaged wheels now if I kept the 21s on.

For me, it was an easy decision as I hardly ever see them anyway. I wanted the toughest and most efficient wheels possible

I think everyone who has the 21s has damaged them already haha!! Out of sheer stupidity, I paid $4,500 for some wheels that I've treated like dirt so pretty much a waste of $4,500 because if I were to sell them as is I wouldn't get anywhere near that. I'm holding off on changing the wheels out because I honestly want to get rid of the car soon and don't want to purchase new wheels when I could possibly be trading-in, in a month or two...If the car isn't gone by April then I'll be ordering a set of Slipstreams to replace them.

I'm not a fan of them. In general I don't like 2 tone wheels. I think they're on the tacky side. The 2 tone slipstreams get a "maybe" from me.

I don't know why they don't offer a 20" size. You can put the 20" MX slipstreams on a MS and they look pretty good.

21" of course look the best, but have too many drawbacks.

My feeling exactly! I did this on my prior S and felt it was the perfect blend of upgraded appearance, stock-looks and long-term durability.

I would however like to see what’s under the Tempest wheel covers before passing final judgement on this new option....to anyone who has a set, or gets a set in the near term, please post a pic. Thanks!

Please Tesla...please bring back the original 19” 5 spoke wheels or if it’s too much, at least the older slipstreams!

Is this too much to ask?!
I’m in total agreement. I gave a set of both. I run my winters on the original 5 spoke and my summers on the cyclones. (What you referred to as the older slipstreams)

I like them both and it’s nice having the best of both worlds.
FWIW. The new wheels are oogly imo. And I wasn’t a huge fan of the slipstreams. Those felt like putting a hub cap look alike on a 100k car.

Reactions: Destiny1701