Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I lost my keycard in the console! Help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

UncaNed

Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2015
East coast
My keycard slipped out of my hand and went where the cover goes in my Plaid model X; it is not in the storage area below, what to do??? TIA!

lost keycard-sm.jpg

But wouldn't my card have gone over the end of that cover panel and into no mans' land the first time affter I slid it open and then closed after the card went inside?
This happened with a park pass we had when going to the Badlands park. there are covers on either side that you can pop out. It took a few minutes to move it around and get it with our fingers as it was tight in there. Having a grabber tool would have been helpful!

9SjUWsL.jpg

Reactions: UncaNed
Being totally inept with all things with flexible plastic tabs that have to properly click back into place without breaking them (yeah, shure!) to reassemble after popping them out, I wisely solved my problem by ordering two new key cards from the Tesla store for $40 for both. I'll just have to be sure to have my I-Phone with me till they arrive.

I'd love it if someone who was more ept than I were to post a nice video showing exactly how to extract a keycard from the console crevice in a Plaid model or S.

Last edited:
I think this has been discussed before and someone recommended pulling the cubby down and unlatching it from above and then reaching back and getting the card from the back in the space provided.
I've done that with my 2018 Model X, but the Plaid X is very different.

And in any case, whenever I pull things or unsnap or unlatch things, about 15% of the time the "snapping" mechanism breaks.