Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I love my model s plaid!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me ask you a question to the current S & plaid owners. Would this be a good for a daily driver with a bad back? Or should I go with a X plaid?
The X plaid would be easier to get in and out of and maybe easier to see out of since you are a bit higher. You will give up track mode. You do feel the weight more in the MX but it's a good tradeoff if you are are wanting more ease getting in and out. I would hit a showroom and see if you can find a X and S side by side. The MX plaid is still a blast to drive though.
Skip to 2:32 for the best 1/8 mile run.

If you have poor or limited mobility id go with the X. Easier to get in and out.
I. A get in and out of our MYLR, I had a MYP and was rear ended and I got hurt. I’ve not purchased or replaced my car yet. So I was wondering if it would be difficult for me as the car sits low. Plus I was ready to purchase the X plaid and they raised it $5k. I’m hoping during the December push they would lower the price again.

I. A get in and out of our MYLR, I had a MYP and was rear ended and I got hurt. I’ve not purchased or replaced my car yet. So I was wondering if it would be difficult for me as the car sits low. Plus I was ready to purchase the X plaid and they raised it $5k. I’m hoping during the December push they would lower the price again.
I had several surgeries this past year that made getting in and out of my car more difficult for me. The S still worked well for me. The 3 was a pain by comparison, literally. The X will be better but I found have the S in the high suspension mode definitely helped.

I have to say I hope I'll never get to the point I need an X over the S. The X can be quick, but not nearly as fun to drive for me on a daily basis. Ride quality and nimbleness are far worse. Lack of track mode would be a big loss for me as well. Just try one and see how it fits.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
I have to say I hope I'll never get to the point I need an X over the S. The X can be quick, but not nearly as fun to drive for me on a daily basis. Ride quality and nimbleness are far worse. Lack of track mode would be a big loss for me as well. Just try one and see how it fits.
I am sadden that there is no track mode in the X but would it ever be used? Probably not. I was less than a year away from purchasing an MS for my 60th Bday Next July but, it was in the cards with the FDS transfer for my wife to trade in her 2018 X for the new MX Plaid. These are the things you do for love, so they tell me.

The X plaid would be easier to get in and out of and maybe easier to see out of since you are a bit higher. You will give up track mode. You do feel the weight more in the MX but it's a good tradeoff if you are are wanting more ease getting in and out. I would hit a showroom and see if you can find a X and S side by side. The MX plaid is still a blast to drive though.
Skip to 2:32 for the best 1/8 mile run.
I 2nd that good point. I had a model x 100D and it was so easy to drive and get in and out with my kid and extremely i repeat extremely stable for an suv and visibility is immense. Now my daughter is old enough she rides in the plaid and insists on hitting the accelerator lol i normally drive in chill mode but sport mode on free ways plaid is just not needed unless there is a real threat lol

I Love my Plaid model S also. While I haven’t owned it as long as weapon x, the acceleration is violent. My last car was a 770whp Cts-V on drag radials. While that car felt fast at the time to me, I really loved the lope of the cam and the sound of the over driven blower. I thought that I would miss that going Electric, but that “mind altering” acceleration more than makes up for it and makes me never want to go back. Maybe that will change, but as of right now I am NOT looking back.

I took the plaid to its first drag strip outing last night, it was absolutely incredible. The drag strip was on the colder side (around 55 degrees), my tires were also cold, the best 60 ft I could cut was a 1.62 and to my surprise my tires were squealing almost all the way to the 330ft mark. My tires don’t even do that on the street.. that being said, fighting for traction..I still ran a 9.61@148mph.

Attachments

• 88604C23-8F8B-418B-B83B-7447067366E9.jpeg
    88604C23-8F8B-418B-B83B-7447067366E9.jpeg
    702 KB · Views: 38
People with bad backs usually are not interested in taking their cars to the racetrack.

The X has a higher seating position that not only makes getting in and out easier, but also a better posture with better leg placement.

Model S, indeed is the better looking car, as it is low and snoopy. It is lower to the ground, so corners quicker and gives a more exciting driving experience. The X is larger and heavier. While this makes it not as good racing experience, the easier entrance for both driver and passengers is indeed a bonus. Your friends and family will also enjoy the ease of getting in and out of the back seat through the Falcon Wing doors as well.

As a SUV, the X will easily tow up to 5,000 lbs, offers more interior space for people and cargo. Only Plaid that seats 7.

Bonus for the X is that for profitable small business owners the Section 179 plus accelerated depreciation can make it the much smarter purchase financially.

Both are remarkable cars. Nice to have choices.

Reactions: Darmie
I Love my Plaid model S also. While I haven’t owned it as long as weapon x, the acceleration is violent. My last car was a 770whp Cts-V on drag radials. While that car felt fast at the time to me, I really loved the lope of the cam and the sound of the over driven blower. I thought that I would miss that going Electric, but that “mind altering” acceleration more than makes up for it and makes me never want to go back. Maybe that will change, but as of right now I am NOT looking back.

I took the plaid to its first drag strip outing last night, it was absolutely incredible. The drag strip was on the colder side (around 55 degrees), my tires were also cold, the best 60 ft I could cut was a 1.62 and to my surprise my tires were squealing almost all the way to the 330ft mark. My tires don’t even do that on the street.. that being said, fighting for traction..I still ran a 9.61@148mph.
Maybe I’m in the minority but i think the rear bar the 21s that goes into both tail lights looks better than the updated version on the 22+. I also wish i had got multi coat red. Best color imo

Reactions: MrSlowEv
Maybe I’m in the minority but i think the rear bar the 21s that goes into both tail lights looks better than the updated version on the 22+. I also wish i had got multi coat red. Best color imo
Definitely minority. Not to mention the headlights on the '21s are steamed poopy doo. Still boggles my mind that they didn't upgrade them from the pre-refresh when it was released. At least one of the perks of my horrifically protracted buy-back experience on my '21 meant I got a '22 and decent headlights and not the disco-ball bs all '21 and older owners have to deal with. Oh, and at night especially the new tails look so much better than the '21s and their graininess.

Or maybe I'm in the minority, too. 😅

Definitely minority. Not to mention the headlights on the '21s are steamed poopy doo. Still boggles my mind that they didn't upgrade them from the pre-refresh when it was released. At least one of the perks of my horrifically protracted buy-back experience on my '21 meant I got a '22 and decent headlights and not the disco-ball bs all '21 and older owners have to deal with. Oh, and at night especially the new tails look so much better than the '21s and their graininess.

Or maybe I'm in the minority, too. 😅
Yeah the updated lights are a massive upgrade.

But I’m simply referring to black bar that goes across.

Imo the ‘23 is even worse with the tesla letters in the bar.

Yeah the updated lights are a massive upgrade.

But I’m simply referring to black bar that goes across.

Imo the ‘23 is even worse with the tesla letters in the bar.
I'm mixed on that. I have the 22' which has the bar but the "T" above it. Then for 2023 they removed the T and put letters on the bar. I prefer the new rear lights/bar, but not sure if I prefer the T or the letters.

The lucid is heavier and faster with 3 motors carbon sleeved like the plaid. Is it that the lucid motors make more power than teslas? If the plaid plus 4 motors runs 8.70? Then im assuming the lucid 4 motors would run low 8? Thoughts? Any engineers

The lucid is heavier and faster with 3 motors carbon sleeved like the plaid. Is it that the lucid motors make more power than teslas? If the plaid plus 4 motors runs 8.70? Then im assuming the lucid 4 motors would run low 8? Thoughts? Any engineers
Considering the Rimac Nevera doesn't run low 8s and it has about double the hp of the Plaid, I doubt it... Traction is a problem off the line, for one, - especially on street tires, so you have to make up a lot of time once that power is put to the ground. That's part of the reason the Plaid doesn't make anywhere near 1020hp until it's moving at quite a kip.

So that’s actually a more complicated answer than you think. There’s a lot going on in the power train on the software side of it. In the video I attached around 4:35 they talk about how the lucid has three motors rated for 600 each so collectively, solely based on this the car could make 1800hp BUT the battery pack can only discharge 1234. So on a launch, when weight transfers to the rear, the rear motors get 600 each and then it throws the left over power to the front motor and then it’s a matter of managing traction electrically.

I’d imagine A fourth motor (another front motor) would help after the 60ft. But prior the rears are doing most of the work. I’m not an engineer though.

Here’s the video I learned the video I learned all of that stuff about the Lucid Safire from. It’s actually a cool video just really long. At 4:35, they talk about what happens during a launch in terms of what the software logic is doing.