Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I love my model s plaid!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is one of those situations where you ask for forgiveness instead of permission. Use girl math and say "I know it cost $80k, but if I go racing and don't have to replace broken parts on a weekly basis, it effectively reduces the cost of ownership to $34k"
LOL šŸ˜‚, thats goodā€¦ So true about the never ending the maintenance on the ICE hot rods, takes a lot to keep them well tuned.
Iā€™m now 72 in great shape but unfortunately Iā€™ve lost most of my hearing do to Tinnitus šŸ™šŸ’” from being around super loud noises, mostly loud engine exhaust, separating headers. šŸ˜¬šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

Since you come from a 1/4 mile racing background, you can truly appreciate what this car does and how well it does it. Itā€™s truly a marvel.

I love how Versatile the car is. I have a 3 year old and 6 year old, so we have car seats permanently installed in the rear seats. My wife drives the car regularly, she has her driver profile set in chill mode.

On a Wednesday night, I can take the car to the local drag strip.

My parents (in their 60ā€™s/70ā€™s) came into to town a few weeks ago and we had them driving around town running errands with it in chill mode. To them it felt luxurious. They had no idea they were driving a car with 1000hp.

Not to mention that Iā€™m no longer making frequent stop to the gas station to fill up on e85 like I did in previous car. Our plaid is ā€œon a full tankā€ every morning from charging over night. Well 80% tank..

You only live once my friend, you should definitely get one. The prices are coming down.
Thatā€™s so awesome..šŸ‘šŸ» I know we enjoyed 1/4 mile but have you heard of the Thermal Club Racing in Thermal CA.?
Near Indio CA ? My son was invited this last weekend by a member; Itā€™s totally insane and could only imagine doing a lap or two in a Plaid.. šŸ˜²šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚

Thatā€™s so awesome..šŸ‘šŸ» I know we enjoyed 1/4 mile but have you heard of the Thermal Club Racing in Thermal CA.?
Near Indio CA ? My son was invited this last weekend by a member; Itā€™s totally insane and could only imagine doing a lap or two in a Plaid.. šŸ˜²šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚
Iā€™ve never heard of it, Iā€™ll look into it for sure. I may need to upgrade the brakes before I do anything on a road course though.

This is one of those situations where you ask for forgiveness instead of permission. Use girl math and say "I know it cost $80k, but if I go racing and don't have to replace broken parts on a weekly basis, it effectively reduces the cost of ownership to $34k"
Yep, same with religion.

ā€œI asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.ā€
-Emo Philips

Iā€™m planning to go test drive the S this coming week if I can. If my leg and back is okay then I will place an order for one. I do like the X but donā€™t care for the 6 seat configuration as . The model S is big enough for trips and I heard the rear is comfortable now. Sales representative said all vehicles shipped to NJ have all season tires on them. Wish the upgraded track pack brake kit was factory option though.

Iā€™m planning to go test drive the S this coming week if I can. If my leg and back is okay then I will place an order for one. I do like the X but donā€™t care for the 6 seat configuration as . The model S is big enough for trips and I heard the rear is comfortable now. Sales representative said all vehicles shipped to NJ have all season tires on them. Wish the upgraded track pack brake kit was factory option though.
Yeah, itā€™s pretty ridiculous that they donā€™t come with the track package brake on it.. if youā€™re going to order a 2023, they come with upgraded brake pads from my understanding. Iā€™m curious to know how much better those are than what I have on my 2022.

When I test drove a model s plaid with the dealer. They had the car limited to 80 mph. Iā€™m not sure if it also neutered the power, I had it in plaid mode, and it honestly didnā€™t feel that quick. It wasnā€™t until rented one on Turo that was unlocked, that I was able to feel the full power. Maybe thatā€™s just my experience but keep that in mind, when you drive it.

No real need for a track package on a standard Model S in my view. Harnessing 1000HP is a different story but truly only a factor if your planning weekly trips to the track. Have had nor seen no issues with braking on my 23 MSP.

No real need for a track package on a standard Model S in my view. Harnessing 1000HP is a different story but truly only a factor if your planning weekly trips to the track. Have had nor seen no issues with braking on my 23 MSP.
Until you've overheated the OEM brakes on the highway one time and find out why an upgrade is a good idea. That's a lot of mass to reign in from 150+ if you need to do an emergency stop.

Ive had a couple oh **** moments on the street where those big ceramic brakes wouldā€™ve come in handy. The car gets up so quickly, I think those brakes are necessary on a car at this power level that weighs this much unless you get it to put around.

I assumed he was talking about test driving a plaid for some reason. I agree with you that they are not necessary on the LR S.

Reactions: Sam1
Ive had a couple oh **** moments on the street where those big ceramic brakes wouldā€™ve come in handy. The car gets up so quickly, I think those brakes are necessary on a car at this power level that weighs this much unless you get it to put around.

I assumed he was talking about test driving a plaid for some reason. I agree with you that they are not necessary on the LR S.
When have you had any issue ā€œon the street?ā€ Thereā€™s no way for the average stop that youā€™d get any benefit from CCBs. CCBs come into play for repeated stops, especially from higher speeds. If youā€™re continually canyon carving, CCB benefit: yes. For driving around town and occasional pulls? No benefit.

When have you had any issue ā€œon the street?ā€ Thereā€™s no way for the average stop that youā€™d get any benefit from CCBs. CCBs come into play for repeated stops, especially from higher speeds. If youā€™re continually canyon carving, CCB benefit: yes. For driving around town and occasional pulls? No benefit.
If someone says they have had an issue, they probably have. You can't dismiss it because you, assumingly, don't push the car as hard as they do.

The amount of braking performance increase with CCBs in the triple digits is almost comical compared to what it is with the OEM brakes. And usually when you're at those high speeds is when braking is critical. One stop, two stops or whatever, doesn't matter.

CCB Kit is very expensive from what Iā€™ve heard. Must be for legitimate racing šŸ˜²

Lol, I easily hit 130mph entering the freeway on a freeway on ramp near my house on a few occasions. Itā€™s to the point now that I let off 3/4 the way up the on ramp so I donā€™t have to shed 60mph to get back to down to the speed of traffic. These brakes have no bite to them. Itā€™s one of those things you either understand or you donā€™t.

Occasional pulls are irrelevant. itā€™s about how fast youā€™re trying to stop an almost 5000lbs sedan from speeds in triple digits. All you need is one pull at these speeds to understand what Iā€™m talking about.

You probably didnā€™t know this but on top of offering better cooling, the track brake kit has larger rotors, which means more braking surface area and better pads. That helps stop the car as long as good tires are on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Msicario
Lol, I easily hit 130mph entering the freeway on a freeway on ramp near my house on a few occasions. Itā€™s to the point now that I let off 3/4 the way up the on ramp so I donā€™t have to shed 60mph to get back to down to the speed of traffic. These brakes have no bite to them. Itā€™s one of those things you either understand or you donā€™t.

Occasional pulls are irrelevant. itā€™s about how fast youā€™re trying to stop an almost 5000lbs sedan from speeds in triple digits. All you need is one pull at these speeds to understand what Iā€™m talking about.

You probably didnā€™t know this but on top of offering better cooling, the track brake kit has larger rotors, which means more braking surface area and better pads. That helps stop the car as long as good tires are on it.
130mph? šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļøWhatever.

As mentioned, for ā€œnormalā€ driving youā€™ll get no benefit. If youā€™re doing 130mph and suddenly need to shed 60mph so you donā€™t crash into traffic, I suggest a long, hard look at yourself in the mirror.

If someone says they have had an issue, they probably have. You can't dismiss it because you, assumingly, don't push the car as hard as they do.

The amount of braking performance increase with CCBs in the triple digits is almost comical compared to what it is with the OEM brakes. And usually when you're at those high speeds is when braking is critical. One stop, two stops or whatever, doesn't matter.
This line of commentary is nonsensical. If you want to discuss doing nearly 130mph and slamming brakes, call it that. This is NOT normal driving. Iā€™d really suggest keeping this sort of idiocy on the drag strip or race track.

A
This line of commentary is nonsensical. If you want to discuss doing nearly 130mph and slamming brakes, call it that. This is NOT normal driving. Iā€™d really suggest keeping this sort of idiocy on the drag strip or race track.
A future recipient of the coveted ā€œDarwin Awardā€?

We didnā€™t buy model s plaids to drive them like short range model 3ā€™s. Maybe you should consider trading in your plaid for one?

130mph? šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļøWhatever.

As mentioned, for ā€œnormalā€ driving youā€™ll get no benefit. If youā€™re doing 130mph and suddenly need to shed 60mph so you donā€™t crash into traffic, I suggest a long, hard look at yourself in the mirror.
Also one never knows when accidentally someone will cut you off while traveling at an high speed and immediately youā€™re at the mercy of your braking system. šŸ˜¬

Reactions: Sam1 and MrSlowEv
Also one never knows when accidentally someone will cut you off while traveling at an high speed and immediately youā€™re at the mercy of your braking system. šŸ˜¬
Sure. That's why I save going "too fast" for complete open, huge stretches of road with no traffic ahead or cross streets that I need to shed huge amounts of speed for before crashing into. I'm not saying CCBs aren't great (they are), but for NORMAL DRIVING they offer ZERO benefit, and actually in the winter need to warm up before they are AS effective as our stock brakes. The limits for NORMAL driving will be TIRE GRIP when braking.