Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I made a delivery Checklist to help with checking for issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just remember that your checklist will be used to keep the dealer in line. Some of us have found that a good dealer needs no checklist. Cars are delivered in great condition, with everything in order. I use a dealer that's further away than the one Tesla recommended, but they do the job right.

Don't know how that works in Texas, though. Let us know if you really needed the checklist.

Just remember that your checklist will be used to keep the dealer in line. Some of us have found that a good dealer needs no checklist. Cars are delivered in great condition, with everything in order. I use a dealer that's further away than the one Tesla recommended, but they do the job right.

Don't know how that works in Texas, though. Let us know if you really needed the checklist.

I have no idea what good a "delivery checklist" would do in a state that you have to pre pay for the car first would do. Texas buyers have to pay for the car first, so there is no "refusing delivery" of it. Of course, they can RETURN it, but thats a different thing that simply refusing delivery.

That is, unless the requirement that texas buyers have to pre pay due to texas state laws has changed?

Thank you for this. I'll print it out and use it soon.

I would think pointing out deficiencies prior to pulling out of the delivery center would make it a ton easier to get things fixed on their dime. Not sure. I'm about to find out next week!

It is weird in Texas where you have to have insurance already and fully pay for a car you can't see and that's potentially not even built yet. Blame the dealer lobby.

I have no idea what good a "delivery checklist" would do in a state that you have to pre pay for the car first would do.

I'm not sure what good a "delivery checklist" would do in ANY state, except to start off the relationship with your service center on a rough foot. It immediately says "I don't trust you to have done your job."

This isn't something I'd do with any other car brand, and not something I'd consider doing for a Tesla, either. I have an implied level of trust that they've ensured the car is ready for delivery, and if I do have any issues, that they'll be taken care of. The positive approach hasn't let me down yet - whether I'm buying a Nissan, Ford, Buick, Cadillac, or Tesla. Would much rather start off with a hearty handshake (although I guess in Covid times that's not an option) with the service manager and develop a mutual trust.

... and before anyone says that doesn't happen with Tesla, I can assure you, it does. I have a great relationship with both delivery and service from my Model 3, and will be extending that on Monday with our Model X.

I'm not sure what good a "delivery checklist" would do in ANY state, except to start off the relationship with your service center on a rough foot. It immediately says "I don't trust you to have done your job."

... I have an implied level of trust that they've ensured the car is ready for delivery, and if I do have any issues, that they'll be taken care of.

... Would much rather start off with a hearty handshake (although I guess in Covid times that's not an option) with the service manager and develop a mutual trust.

1. it's not personal, it's business. there's absolutely nothing wrong with due diligence, nor reason why your tesla rep would have to take things personally.

2. my local service centers and its staff have been courteous from delivery to post-delivery visits. i still trust them to do their job, which does not preclude me from bringing up items that require servicing.

one of the cosmetics i had was a scratch along the edge of the door. it looks 100% like the effect of the car "dooring" a wall. i took delivery in the midst of a blizzard, then came personal scheduling stuff, then came corona........ months later i returned to have the scratch addressed, and because it was documented at time of delivery, they instantly accepted.

if YOU were the kindest nicest car dealership in the world, and a customer returns half a year later and claim "theres a scratch/dent/ding on my car, it was this way from the factory", would you believe the claim?

1. it's not personal, it's business. there's absolutely nothing wrong with due diligence, nor reason why your tesla rep would have to take things personally.

2. my local service centers and its staff have been courteous from delivery to post-delivery visits. i still trust them to do their job, which does not preclude me from bringing up items that require servicing.

one of the cosmetics i had was a scratch along the edge of the door. it looks 100% like the effect of the car "dooring" a wall. i took delivery in the midst of a blizzard, then came personal scheduling stuff, then came corona........ months later i returned to have the scratch addressed, and because it was documented at time of delivery, they instantly accepted.

if YOU were the kindest nicest car dealership in the world, and a customer returns half a year later and claim "theres a scratch/dent/ding on my car, it was this way from the factory", would you believe the claim?

Of course not, but did you need a checklist to find that scratch?

Reactions: dmurphy
in the sense that a checklist reminded me to scrutinize edges and corners and gaps, absolutely.

otherwise i would have glossed over the exterior surface, honked the horn, and driven off without taking notice of it.

So, we picked up our X this morning, checklist-free. Beyond pleased. Looks great - no issues at all.

IMG_5801.jpeg

@AKTech.it - thanks for the thorough checklist!

I originally picked up a Model Y in early May, and focused my inspection on interior/exterior finish, less on functionality. Realized on my drive home the AC and heat didn’t work. When they said both the compressor and manifold needed to be replaced, and it would be several weeks or more to get the parts, I returned the car. Sales and service were very helpful and apologetic throughout the process.

The good news is I picked up a new M3P yesterday, used the checklist, and didn’t find any issues. Great car, and probably a better fit for me anyway having come from smaller coupes (BMWm240 and Audi S5).

So, lesson learned. Great cars, but it’s worth spending an extra 30 min inspecting everything before you leave the lot.

Congrats! Im sure your wife is pretty excited about the new vehicle :D

Way more than I expected. She plays a good poker face but she’s REALLY happy with it. Biggest concern now are the optics. Not too many middle school teachers show up with an X. I told her to use it as an incentive for her kids - offer a ride for each 100% test score!

Reactions: jjrandorin
Status
Not open for further replies.