Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I May Try to Delay Delivery of My MY. Advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, never? :rolleyes:
My $55K will be spent on my terms. You would think that with my order page stuck on the "provide your delivery address" page for almost 7 weeks now that someone... maybe even a human being from Mt. Tesla would send an email, text or possibly even an old fashioned phone call to see what's happening, but no... never any contact from anyone at Tesla regarding my order other than two days after Feb 9th thanking me for my order.

I paid the 2500 way back and am going to wait until at least Dec or Jan 2021.

You can easily ask for a refund but I would wait. Maybe by that time we can get the free 1,000 super charging so it's easy to re order. But, the price may change by that time so i'm keeping my 2500 resv just in case.

Also, the qc should be better by then as well as the economy. haha

Why don’t you change your order to a seven seater? Those are going to be a good while before they are produced. Then when you’re ready just change it back to a five seater. Your biggest risk is that you may have reserved at a lower price and will have to pay more for the car, but I’m not sure.

If you are going to pospone your purchase until there are no longer people posting complaints on forums, you will never take delivery of your car.
Internal Tesla documents show that their quality is improving. They have a policy of constant and consistant improvement.
New technology for batteries etc will always be just around the corner.
Since the beginning of this forum people have been posting that they are going to wait until the next improvement/refresh/redesign/new battery pack/new interior/etc.

Seems like people with standing orders get a bad case of FIA (Forum Induced Anxiety) and FOM (Fear of Missing Out). Can never pull the trigger, but always want to push out delivery until all possible issues are resolved.

Meanwhile hundreds of thousands of others are taking delivery and enjoying their new cars.

Surgeons have a saying that "Better is the enemy of good". They know that trying to make the surgery perfect often causes more problems than just getting on with it.

Tesla is pretty good about alowing potential owners to put off deliveries if they wish.

Taking delivery is often a leap of faith. The cars are quite remarkable, and ownership is often life altering, but fear often clouds the mind.

The only way QC is going to improve is if Tesla decides it is important.

My perception is that it is still declining with no end in sight.

That being said, the longer you delay the longer you will not enjoy these awesome cars.
You only hear from people who have issues with their cars. They post here looking for advice.
You never hear from the people who don't have problems

I have a few issues with my Y but nothing that a service appt wont fix.

I personally love my Y, (coming from a 3) and plan to take it on a family camping trip over the holiday weekend.

I understand the expectation of getting 100% perfection for a $50K+ purchase but we all need to be realistic.

If you believe in the brand, then stand by them and give them an opportunity to meet your expectations.

My $55K will be spent on my terms. You would think that with my order page stuck on the "provide your delivery address" page for almost 7 weeks now that someone... maybe even a human being from Mt. Tesla would send an email, text or possibly even an old fashioned phone call to see what's happening, but no... never any contact from anyone at Tesla regarding my order other than two days after Feb 9th thanking me for my order.
Yeah, Tesla's great at some things, terrible at others. Customer service is not their strong point. I won't make any excuses for them. Likewise, they STILL have fit and finish issues.

But the car is still amazing and I'm eager to get mine.

I paid the full $2,500 but aronth5 above has summarized my feelings pretty well. On another note, I just exchanged emails with my Tesla guy and he's happy to give the VIN to someone else. I asked if I could wait till January 2021 to take delivery and he said that was fine too. Really? Yep - that's what he wrote. They would honor the price provided I did not change the configuration. So, I'm pretty pleased at that. Surprised, but please. I Don't really need the car until then so I'm going to wait. The current QC are an issue. Would be nice to have a 2021 model too.

If it were me (and it’s not), I would not accept a contactless delivery from Tesla right now, especially for a Model Y. Ask them to allow a standard delivery at the service center where you get to inspect the car BEFORE signing final documents and accepting it. That way if there are issues you can refuse delivery and get back in line for another. Chances are, you’ll get a great (not perfect, but great) car and you’ll be happy you did. As @Uncle Paul said above, FIA is real, don’t let it paralyze you.

@Electric Steve CALL THEM, CALL THEM, CALL THEM. You’re right, Tesla is rather terrible at customer service. When I was trying to take delivery of my Model 3 in 2018, I had to be very persistent calling and calling again, both the mother ship and my local service / delivery center to get my order moving. Be polite always, but persistent. The cars are amazing and you won’t regret it once you have it. Good luck!

Reactions: Electric Steve
A friend of mine is still one of the first reservation holders for the M3 from 2016. He actually put $2k down, one for him and one for his wife. They haven’t taken delivery since they’ve been canceling. Tesla is fine with it, having $2k of their money for no interest. He’s attempting to change his reservations for MY’s now and it looks like it’s finally going to happen

Moral of the story, don’t reserve for new tech if you don’t have tolerance for bugs, quality issues, etc.

If it were me (and it’s not), I would not accept a contactless delivery from Tesla right now, especially for a Model Y. Ask them to allow a standard delivery at the service center where you get to inspect the car BEFORE signing final documents and accepting it. That way if there are issues you can refuse delivery and get back in line for another. Chances are, you’ll get a great (not perfect, but great) car and you’ll be happy you did. As @Uncle Paul said above, FIA is real, don’t let it paralyze you.

@Electric Steve CALL THEM, CALL THEM, CALL THEM. You’re right, Tesla is rather terrible at customer service. When I was trying to take delivery of my Model 3 in 2018, I had to be very persistent calling and calling again, both the mother ship and my local service / delivery center to get my order moving. Be polite always, but persistent. The cars are amazing and you won’t regret it once you have it. Good luck!
I've called them, at least back before the pandemic. Mostly, I got bounced around until someone in Nevada got back to me, usually by email. They were always polite, but never particularly helpful.

There are posts here where I complained about the fact that, after telling me the car would arrive during March, they did not bother notifying me that it would be delayed (by the pandemic). When I asked whether I can get the tow hitch installed after purchase, they said no, which is apparently false.

At this point, I have nowhere to drive, so I'm just ignoring them and hoping that, when my number does come up, the car isn't a lemon.

At this point, I have nowhere to drive, so I'm just ignoring them and hoping that, when my number does come up, the car isn't a lemon.

Tesla suffers from good demand for their product and no real competition so they just have no incentive to improve either service or quality. They have no real competitors and that's what happens without competition. Whether I buy a car or not, they could not care less, there is someone else waiting to do so. And until this continues they will not improve. For their own good they need strong competitor.

The only good thing is that we can return car within 7 days. So look over it carefully and if you find items you cannot live with return it.

I had delivery scheduled yesterday and 1 hour before delivery they call me to tell me that they burned through rear quarter panel paint when they were polishing it and it needs repainting. Asked me do I want to wait for it to be repainted??? I said only if there is nice discount involved and you can guess what they said. I of course declined the vehicle since, if I am paying new car price, I want new car, not repainted one.