Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I NEED MORE SEATS. Sadly..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

Long time stalker of the forums, first-time poster.

I'm looking at buying a Model X. I love them. My friend is selling one and is willing to sell me his at a decent price, but I definitely need the third row (two seats) at the back and his only has second row (three seats). Is there any aftermarket kits or Tesla-retro fitting available?

If not then I'll just have to buy brand new from Tesla (I'm not massviely bothered, as I can claim the £20,000 VAT back making the higher-end model the same price as a base model).

Any help would be appreciated,
Thom :)

Third row seats are only feasible with the second-row seats that are made for them. The second-row has to be movable to allow access. Your friend's car is a 5 seat -- you will need to get a 7-seat (or 6-seat, if that is all you need).

Cheers guys!

I drive a lot of miles per week, long trips (in the UK). The 100D is obviously the best choice. I've had a look at actual range on here and it seems to be a solid 220-250 average at 90% charge circa. April 2016.

- Has this got better since then (ie. has Tesla refined the batteries) as I just cannot believe they can say on the design studio that it has a range rating of 350 miles and people are actually getting 100ish less, it seems crazy to me...

- I've never been a passenger in a Tesla (never!) is the ride as thrilling (0-60)/interesting/comfortable as it is a driver?

- Are you pleased with your decision on a MX?

- The only other question I have is, is there any real pro/cons for picking an X over an S in the same battery/price range?
I'm picking a MX as sometimes I take friends and family around the country with me. The X caters for more space and baggage. HOWEVER that isn't a massive issue for me (upon thinking about it at this time at night) as they can just pack lighter, haha, which is now making me thinking about the MS again. (I hate Tesla for making me love their cars..)

If I don't reply straight away, it's because I passed out at my desk. But I shall reply!

Thom.

Is there any real pro/cons for picking an X over an S in the same battery/price range?

I went with the X for a couple reasons. I can't think of a single reason to prefer the Model S unless you really want blistering fast 0-60 times more than anything else. I don't. I find the Model S just a little tough to get in and out of. The Model X is a breeze in this regard. The Model X also has much more clearance underneath. The Model X has more room for storage. The Model X has the 6 seat option (which I chose). The Model X has a great windshield experience, dumb as that sounds if you haven't driven one. The Model X has a better towing set up, though it's still not ideal given its serious hit on range. But I can carry 4 bicycles on the X. And the Falconwing doors are cool, even if not really more useful.

PS. Are you a MX owner by any chance? I do have a couple more questions.

Hi Thom, I am a Brit working and living in China and an X owner.
I went for the X because on occasion I need 6 seats. Also although only of average height I just struggled with seat position in the S, this is now better in the front but still feels a little low and awkward in the back.

The S has as almost as much useable space in the boot as the X does with the back row folded. The S does better on mileage, especially in poor weather. It is also a bit quicker, but how much acceleration do you need? I find 0-60 in 4s is adequate but then I have had my ridiculous sports cars phase and am content with the X.

Don't get me wrong the X is great to drive and corners and handles amazingly well for a car of this size. I like the seating position ride height and view of the X and that windshield is fantastic when driving through scenery.

Please also bare in mind that the third row is really only good for kids, or small adults for longer journeys.

I also think that the S is a very good looking car and the X is a bit bland if that is important to you.

I would recommend you try both. The are both great cars and once you drive a Tesla you may never want to drive an ice ever again.

Good luck in your decision making, if you have other questions please fire away. This is a very good community and I have found 99% are more than willing to help.

Reactions: 3s-a-charm
Cheers guys!

I drive a lot of miles per week, long trips (in the UK). The 100D is obviously the best choice. I've had a look at actual range on here and it seems to be a solid 220-250 average at 90% charge circa. April 2016.

- Has this got better since then (ie. has Tesla refined the batteries) as I just cannot believe they can say on the design studio that it has a range rating of 350 miles and people are actually getting 100ish less, it seems crazy to me...

- I've never been a passenger in a Tesla (never!) is the ride as thrilling (0-60)/interesting/comfortable as it is a driver?

- Are you pleased with your decision on a MX?

- The only other question I have is, is there any real pro/cons for picking an X over an S in the same battery/price range?
I'm picking a MX as sometimes I take friends and family around the country with me. The X caters for more space and baggage. HOWEVER that isn't a massive issue for me (upon thinking about it at this time at night) as they can just pack lighter, haha, which is now making me thinking about the MS again. (I hate Tesla for making me love their cars..)

If I don't reply straight away, it's because I passed out at my desk. But I shall reply!

Thom.

In my experience, the EPA rating is realistic as long as you stay below ~65 mph in okay weather. High speeds, high acceleration, hard braking, and really hot/cold weather all make things worse. It looks like the X100D will have about a 295 mile EPA rating.

I think the design studio in the UK uses NEDC ratings (required by the EU I believe,) which are rather optimistic for every car, on all types of power.

I don't think the ride as a passenger is ever as exciting as it is for a driver, but the X is certainly a smooth, comfortable experience - and the acceleration feels more extreme and dramatic, because it's unexpected.

I am very happy with my purchase decision, despite AP2 appearing a couple months after I got the car. It's the best car I've ever had by far, and much better for me than an S, despite the crazy money part.

The S and X are actually pretty different cars, in terms of driver experience. I test drove an S and an X a little later, thinking I might buy a CPO S for about two-thirds the money and skip the four month wait. Once I drove the X, I decided that it would be worth the money and wait for me.

The S is a fairly typical large sedan in size/shape - you sit down into it, and see pretty much straight ahead through the windshield - the dash and hood keep you from seeing down, the roof blocks setting up. For tall blokes like me, there's barely enough headroom in front, and not enough in back.

The X is different. It sits about eight inches (~20 cm) higher at the roofline, and so you get in sideways instead of down. Once seated, you have a panoramic view - the windshield goes all the way up behind your head, and the dash and hood angle is enough lower that you (or at least I) can see almost right in front of the car by leaning forward. Significantly more physical headroom, and the prescription of unlimited headroom from the glass. And, of course, you have the much vaunted SUV viewpoint - sitting higher, you see further and more around other people.

The falcon wing doors didn't really affect my decision one way or the other. They look cool, and certainly give great access to the car, but I'm not positive how they'll hold up over time. They might do pretty well - Tesla basically attached two powered rear lift gates together, and those seem to be pretty reliable.

I liked having the factory tow option, though I really haven't taken advantage of it yet - so much more flexibility for future needs.

On the S side, most of us agree it's a more attractive car. At any power level, it is slightly quicker than the X, and it will go ~10-15% further on the same electricity. The S production line is more mature, and the car is somewhat less complex (powered doors, monopod seats, etc,) which between them mean you're less likely to have an issue (I haven't had any significant issues with my X, though I do have windshield ghosting and a couple minor things for the service center to adjust.)

Last edited:
Thanks Bert, really appreciate the reply. Time to buy a new Tesla!

Just realizing that you may not have seen an MX with the 6 or 7 seat arrangement. Realize that the second row seats in those configurations DO NOT fold flat. They tip forward, but you do not get a flat cargo area from front seat on back. May not be important to you, but it is what kept me from buying the car.

Hi Thom, I am a Brit working and living in China and an X owner.
I went for the X because on occasion I need 6 seats. Also although only of average height I just struggled with seat position in the S, this is now better in the front but still feels a little low and awkward in the back.

The S has as almost as much useable space in the boot as the X does with the back row folded. The S does better on mileage, especially in poor weather. It is also a bit quicker, but how much acceleration do you need? I find 0-60 in 4s is adequate but then I have had my ridiculous sports cars phase and am content with the X.

Don't get me wrong the X is great to drive and corners and handles amazingly well for a car of this size. I like the seating position ride height and view of the X and that windshield is fantastic when driving through scenery.

Please also bare in mind that the third row is really only good for kids, or small adults for longer journeys.

I also think that the S is a very good looking car and the X is a bit bland if that is important to you.

I would recommend you try both. The are both great cars and once you drive a Tesla you may never want to drive an ice ever again.

Good luck in your decision making, if you have other questions please fire away. This is a very good community and I have found 99% are more than willing to help.

I couldn't have said it better myself - exactly my situation/thoughts on both vehicles. Coming from an S to an X, I liked the looks of the S a lot better than the X so if I were driving to a business meeting or out to meet friends, I would prefer an S. The X looks good too and the tech is better for nearly the same price so you get a lot of value with the X.

Now if only Tesla would come out with a new Roadster... I'm ready!

Reactions: Festerfeet