Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I need some convincing re: M3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up a 2020 Model 3 performance over the weekend. I'm coming from leasing a 2017 C63 AMG and the Tesla smokes it. Way faster off the line. Way smoother of a ride.

Lacks the sound of a V8, which I definitely miss, but I can tell I'm going to like this Tesla a lot more.
Today, I was next to a Dodge Challenger R/T with a big growling 392 V8 SRT® HEMI®. Mean. Loud.

I almost jokingly gave him a "Wanna go bro!!" ala the State Farm Insurance commercial. But, I wasn't sure he'd get the joke, so I kept it to myself, confident the Model 3 AWD would have left him in the dust off the line.

Today, I was next to a Dodge Challenger R/T with a big growling 392 V8 SRT® HEMI®. Mean. Loud.

I almost jokingly gave him a "Wanna go bro!!" ala the State Farm Insurance commercial. But, I wasn't sure he'd get the joke, so I kept it to myself, confident the Model 3 AWD would have left him in the dust off the line.

was driving side by side a new BMW ///M3 on the freeway. drove same speed as him for a while to see if i could get a reaction. He had 2 other people in his car....... probably didn't want anybody to witness the embarrassment of getting smoked by an electric vehicle LOL.

Hey all - my name's Royal, from Chicago IL. I'm a recovering/stubborn old school car guy warming up to the idea of ditching ICEs for my daily driver. For my entire life I have always enjoyed driver focused analog style cars, and I've had many of them, (example: I've owned every generation of 3 series up until the F30, and I also own a Morgan 3 wheeler). I just absolutely love driving.

So, I'm considering a Model 3 Performance edition, with gunmetal paint and black interior. I don't really have any interest in the self driving aspects and cost is not a primary consideration, I just want a really cool daily driver that will last me five to ten years. Also I'm not really considering any other cars and I'm not "up" on what the M3 Performance is being compared to. BMW, Audi, Benz, etc. haven't really been interesting in years to me... Basically, I am just looking to hear from other people that may have been in my position.

Will I like this car? Anyone move away from a stick shift and love it? Also, I sometimes like to customize my vehicles, are there any forums dedicated to this? Can't wait to learn a little more. Also, is it possible to order the car with smaller wheels than 20"? Seems kind of big for a smaller sedan, I'd prefer an 18 or 19.

I know this is long but I'm real curious. Hope to hear from some of you soon!

I daily drive a Lotus Elise SC. For three seasons, it's pure joy (and I've had it for years). I've also had lots of other performance cars -mostly BMWs, including two 850CSis and an Audi RS6 (automatic transmission). Yet I still *really* enjoy driving the Model 3 (Dual Motor, Performance). It reminds me of the RS6, but it is, hands down, faster under most driving conditions (but probably not on the track). The Model 3 is relaxing yet still stupid fast when called upon to move. It's quiet. And I _think_ it will be much more reliable than any car I've ever owned. On the down side, it's not really going to scratch the same itches on the track as a BMW (when that itch comes, the Lotus scratches it nicely).

Think of the Model 3 Performance as a less trackable M5 with more reliability and acceleration, but less luxury -much less.

I daily drive a Lotus Elise SC. For three seasons, it's pure joy (and I've had it for years). I've also had lots of other performance cars -mostly BMWs, including two 850CSis and an Audi RS6 (automatic transmission). Yet I still *really* enjoy driving the Model 3 (Dual Motor, Performance). It reminds me of the RS6, but it is, hands down, faster under most driving conditions (but probably not on the track). The Model 3 is relaxing yet still stupid fast when called upon to move. It's quiet. And I _think_ it will be much more reliable than any car I've ever owned. On the down side, it's not really going to scratch the same itches on the track as a BMW (when that itch comes, the Lotus scratches it nicely).

Think of the Model 3 Performance as a less trackable M5 with more reliability and acceleration, but less luxury -much less.
Hello fellow Lotus Elise owner. I have a 2005 Elise with the BOE310 supercharger kit, and a Tesla model 3 performance.

In the >decade of owning my Elise I’ve never considered selling it, until the Tesla. (I’m still not planning to sell it. But the thought has crossed my mind as the Tesla is faster, and as fun. The Lotus gets the wrong kind of attention. But I’m still in love with that car.

Reactions: cch1 and RobRain
Let's hope you're wrong on this... hoping to keep mine past the 15 year mark. Or hopefully by then aftermarket/refurbished packs are like <$5K so it will be a "non-issue!"

I hope I’m wrong too lol. I tend to keep my cars for 8-10yrs and will run it as long as I can....but know the battery will eventually degrade. Only comforting thing is that Tesla has the 8yr/120k 70% retention warranty on the long range model 3’s....which is about where I would get a new car anyway. I have some Panasonic 18650’s for my led flashlights that are 6yrs old and still holding up. Only time will tell.

OP again, I decided to rent one on Turo and take it for a spin and home tonight. It is a 2018 Model 3 with full self driving capability. It has been a blast so far. Here's what stuck out to me the most.

It's a very easy vehicle to get used to. I got used to driving it at low speeds within about two miles of city driving, and I got used to the touchscreen after about an hour or so. The map is wonderful, and I *never* use nav/maps. Playing music is a little fumbly but not a big deal. It all gets the job done and it's nice to not have a shitload of switches.

Back to driving - the car 'feels' like a manual in that 'idling' is just sitting there, so you can let off the brake and scratch your ankle if necessary. That's kinda neat. Also, it's nice to use the rapid deceleration of this vehicle to your advantage in stopping (this was not just my 1st EV but my first regen. braking vehicle). That felt like hyper-miling to the max. I found it to actually be an excellent vehicle for an urban environment. The lack of an engine is 100% a value add for me, allowing to be hyper aware of noises outside of the vehicle around me.

Getting onto the expressway really is a rush, it's just linear instantaneous torque. Can't quite explain it, it's almost like a roller coaster but smoother. Transmissions are irrelevant and forgotten. It's like you nail it and say to yourself 'this is acceleration' - it just makes total sense. I will not ever forget how this felt.

I got rid of an R230 SL recently. Sense of speed was diminished in that car... it is more so in the M3. I wonder how much of that has to do with lacking of an engine and how fast it accelerates - and how easily it passes - probably a lot. The screen showing other cars and trucks is a huge value add to check your own scanning of the road briefly. Also, people are very curious how fast these are, I think I had two or three people come up to the side of me.

Once you're up to speed and not playing with the accelerator, it feels like a very good highway vehicle. It doesn't feel quite as tank-ish as an old-school Benz, but it was tighter than my E90 335 for sure.

As for Autopilot, tried it and it worked well, very easy to get used to, I'd need to try it on a road trip to give any real feedback. But, I may not initially buy FSD. I haven't been on a road trip in 12 years and can't currently justify the extra $7k expense - that may change before I order based on more reading and research.

I will need to do a little more reading, as well as drive an M3P to make sure I really want to do this, but the first pass is yes. It is fun to discover something new, and I take no guilt in researching my purchases. There's something about Tesla that I think has made a lot of people very impulsive, and I'm very grateful you guys have been so helpful so far.

@rlich87

Love the enthusiasm and look forward to welcoming you to the family.

Any version of the 3 is a no brainer purchase.

If you plan to keep the car for a long time, might as well take on FSD. Less hassle to include it upfront in the purchase.

Remember it does get better over time so what you see today will be better tomorrow.

Reactions: Glamisduner
There's something about Tesla that I think has made a lot of people very impulsive, and I'm very grateful you guys have been so helpful so far.

Glad your first experience gave you the same feeling mine did.

I arranged a test drive at my local store fully expecting to be amazed by the acceleration, but was absolutely blown away by the handling, refinement and solid feel of the car, plus the awesome sound system. It took a couple of months for me to pull the trigger as I wrestled with giving up the carbon fiber/leather/alcantara interior trappings I'd become accustomed to, but I couldn't get the drive quality out of my mind and finally did it. I've never looked back.

Good luck with your decision!

Hey all - my name's Royal, from Chicago IL. I'm a recovering/stubborn old school car guy warming up to the idea of ditching ICEs for my daily driver. For my entire life I have always enjoyed driver focused analog style cars, and I've had many of them, (example: I've owned every generation of 3 series up until the F30, and I also own a Morgan 3 wheeler). I just absolutely love driving.

So, I'm considering a Model 3 Performance edition, with gunmetal paint and black interior. I don't really have any interest in the self driving aspects and cost is not a primary consideration, I just want a really cool daily driver that will last me five to ten years. Also I'm not really considering any other cars and I'm not "up" on what the M3 Performance is being compared to. BMW, Audi, Benz, etc. haven't really been interesting in years to me... Basically, I am just looking to hear from other people that may have been in my position.

Will I like this car? Anyone move away from a stick shift and love it? Also, I sometimes like to customize my vehicles, are there any forums dedicated to this? Can't wait to learn a little more. Also, is it possible to order the car with smaller wheels than 20"? Seems kind of big for a smaller sedan, I'd prefer an 18 or 19.

I can relate to what you're going through. I'm an old-school car guy. I own a Mustang Shelby GT500 convertible with a manual transmission, which I loved to drive. Since getting the Tesla Model 3 Performance, the GT500 sits under cover for months at a time. I now have over 32,000 miles on my Model 3, and it still provides the thrill that I used to get from the Mustang. No regrets with paying the extra for the Performance version - I love the look of the car and you already know about the performance. I may end up just selling the Mustang. Never thought I'd say that.

OP again, I decided to rent one on Turo and take it for a spin and home tonight. It is a 2018 Model 3 with full self driving capability. It has been a blast so far. Here's what stuck out to me the most.

It's a very easy vehicle to get used to. I got used to driving it at low speeds within about two miles of city driving, and I got used to the touchscreen after about an hour or so. The map is wonderful, and I *never* use nav/maps. Playing music is a little fumbly but not a big deal. It all gets the job done and it's nice to not have a shitload of switches.

Back to driving - the car 'feels' like a manual in that 'idling' is just sitting there, so you can let off the brake and scratch your ankle if necessary. That's kinda neat. Also, it's nice to use the rapid deceleration of this vehicle to your advantage in stopping (this was not just my 1st EV but my first regen. braking vehicle). That felt like hyper-miling to the max. I found it to actually be an excellent vehicle for an urban environment. The lack of an engine is 100% a value add for me, allowing to be hyper aware of noises outside of the vehicle around me.

Getting onto the expressway really is a rush, it's just linear instantaneous torque. Can't quite explain it, it's almost like a roller coaster but smoother. Transmissions are irrelevant and forgotten. It's like you nail it and say to yourself 'this is acceleration' - it just makes total sense. I will not ever forget how this felt.

I got rid of an R230 SL recently. Sense of speed was diminished in that car... it is more so in the M3. I wonder how much of that has to do with lacking of an engine and how fast it accelerates - and how easily it passes - probably a lot. The screen showing other cars and trucks is a huge value add to check your own scanning of the road briefly. Also, people are very curious how fast these are, I think I had two or three people come up to the side of me.

Once you're up to speed and not playing with the accelerator, it feels like a very good highway vehicle. It doesn't feel quite as tank-ish as an old-school Benz, but it was tighter than my E90 335 for sure.

As for Autopilot, tried it and it worked well, very easy to get used to, I'd need to try it on a road trip to give any real feedback. But, I may not initially buy FSD. I haven't been on a road trip in 12 years and can't currently justify the extra $7k expense - that may change before I order based on more reading and research.

I will need to do a little more reading, as well as drive an M3P to make sure I really want to do this, but the first pass is yes. It is fun to discover something new, and I take no guilt in researching my purchases. There's something about Tesla that I think has made a lot of people very impulsive, and I'm very grateful you guys have been so helpful so far.

which M3 did you drive? was it an SR+? my recommendation to you was to drive the (second) slowest car in the lineup and THEN decide if 1. this is the car for you and 2. you need the "performance" model. the RWD has been quoted as being far more nimble and fun to drive than the weighted down AWD but the acceleration and peace of mind with the AWD satisfies most people.

worst case - get the LR RWD (if you can). save a few bucks and in 3-5 years, if it's not the car for you, it will be an easy sell.

Don't think twice, Ditch the Ice. :D

this is mine now.

Wait until you drive a P3D...

@rlich87
If you plan to keep the car for a long time, might as well take on FSD. Less hassle to include it upfront in the purchase.

Remember it does get better over time so what you see today will be better tomorrow.
I'd make sure that OP has a clear understanding of Autopilot vs. FSD. My car does not have FSD but has Autopilot, which is exactly what I wanted. I like to drive and don't mind it for point-to-point short/medium distance driving. It's the highway tedium that eventually gets to me, and Autopilot takes care of that.

probably he has better priorities
...racing should be the only priority

The car i leaned to drive was a stick and owned a 6MT G35 a few years back. I was bent on getting an Audi S5 or a Genesis G70 3.3T. Both were great to drive, but one test drive of the M3P and it was over. I ordered mine the same day.

The acceleration is downright brutal. I’ve never driven anything close to this quick. Even my wife loves to floor it. But what really gets me is the incredible handling and steering. It’s an absolute blast to drive.

I don’t miss gauges, loud exhaust, shifting and myriad buttons. It all seems antiquated now. I just turn up the stellar sounding stereo and.drive.

Hello Royal,

I have a Performance Model 3.

You need convincing? Easy.

I'll bring mine over to you if you wish. You can test drive it if you want.

Done.

8 months later...I love it and don't regret the decision at all. I have other ICE cars to drive when I feel the need, but that usually ends up with me anxious to hop back in the M3P.

For me, it's just a fantastic car that happens to be an EV.

Of course, the fact that it's an EV is no coincidence. A car matching the specs of an M3P cannot be built using ICE technology. The fact that it's more responsive and more fun to drive is just another bonus!

Congrats on your decision!

Guilt free acceleration is amazing. I almost got a pretty big speeding ticket the other day. A buss pulled into the passing lane in the carpool lane and was kicking up rocks, as soon as he pulled over I immediately went to pass to get around the tire rock spray, and a second after I hit the accelerator I was doing 96mph. The CHP officer on the bike that pulled behind me as I decelerated into the right lane in front of the buss apparently didn't notice or care. Silence is golden!

Guilt free acceleration is amazing. I almost got a pretty big speeding ticket the other day. A buss pulled into the passing lane in the carpool lane and was kicking up rocks, as soon as he pulled over I immediately went to pass to get around the tire rock spray, and a second after I hit the accelerator I was doing 96mph. The CHP officer on the bike that pulled behind me as I decelerated into the right lane in front of the buss apparently didn't notice or care. Silence is golden!

Guilt free acceleration?

I've never felt guilty about acceleration. Not in the least.

• Love
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy