Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I need some convincing re: M3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an F Type R as my last car. Beautiful, reliable, well screwed together, solid, fast, glorious sound....

The M3P is like,.... as if the Starship Enterprise hoved into view above the HMS Enterprise... other than the savage acceleration and surprisingly good roadholding (despite the budget sh1t suspension and not even remotely enough rubber) - all minor relatively cheap fixes to transform the car from stunning to punching several classes above its not inconsiderable weight.

The performance also gets about the same range as my F TYpe R driven in anger too. Despite a tank of fuel costing me 98$, versus about 7 to charge at home. It is of course hideous compared aesthetically to an F Type (any of them really) but .,... that is also partly fixable (stay tuned to see what I get done) - but... there is nothing that compares to this as a drivers car.

Nothing.

I love the Model 3 Performance (I got one of the "stealth" models in part because I wanted more ground clearance and smaller wheels, and I prefer the wheels in silver whereas the non-stealth Performance wheels are only available in grey). Prior to EV, I had a 2011 Mustang GT with 6-speed manual. I miss the manual stick. I don't miss the exhaust note much, but I can understand those who would. I miss the somewhat easier maintenance aspect when maintenance is required or desired (easier to jack, better parts availability, Ford less sensitive to owners tinkering than Tesla, certain aspects less complex). But, overall, I'm very happy to be in a Model 3 now, and the performance is superior to the Mustang GT, even though I am a big fan of the new 5.0 DOHC V8 (well, it was an all new engine in 2011 when I got the car anyway). I wish I could have kept the Mustang too, but I don't have Leno's garage. Even though I do miss it, I'm very happy with the 3.

Only downside to "stealth" is you can't order it, so you have to find a Tesla person to help you find one in stock and you might have limited choice on color combinations if they have any at all. I settled for a white with black interior when I originally wanted blue with white interior. But worth it to me.

I do wish Tesla's had more color options. I know they are making what most people want, and it seems most people these days want drab colors. They still look good, but I'm ready for trends to return to more vibrant colors.

I love the Model 3 Performance (I got one of the "stealth" models in part because I wanted more ground clearance and smaller wheels, and I prefer the wheels in silver whereas the non-stealth Performance wheels are only available in grey). Prior to EV, I had a 2011 Mustang GT with 6-speed manual. I miss the manual stick. I don't miss the exhaust note much, but I can understand those who would. I miss the somewhat easier maintenance aspect when maintenance is required or desired (easier to jack, better parts availability, Ford less sensitive to owners tinkering than Tesla, certain aspects less complex). But, overall, I'm very happy to be in a Model 3 now, and the performance is superior to the Mustang GT, even though I am a big fan of the new 5.0 DOHC V8 (well, it was an all new engine in 2011 when I got the car anyway). I wish I could have kept the Mustang too, but I don't have Leno's garage. Even though I do miss it, I'm very happy with the 3.

Only downside to "stealth" is you can't order it, so you have to find a Tesla person to help you find one in stock and you might have limited choice on color combinations if they have any at all. I settled for a white with black interior when I originally wanted blue with white interior. But worth it to me.

I do wish Tesla's had more color options. I know they are making what most people want, and it seems most people these days want drab colors. They still look good, but I'm ready for trends to return to more vibrant colors.
There was a short period in the late summer of this year that you could select the 18" wheels on the performance on the website to get the stealth. That only lasted a couple weeks though until they were sold out of them.

You made the same change I did! I wanted blue on white, but ended up going white on black because the blue on black didn't look nearly as good to me. I will be wrapping the car in the near future. Not positive of the color yet, something unique and good looking, but not obnoxious.

The F-type is smaller than the Model 3, NOT a BEV, is a 2-door, 2-person sportscar, but weighs about the same as the Model 3.

Seems crazy to me...
short answer? engine + tranny. a V8 (no matter how compact) is going to pack some weight. my 2005 RSX Type-S had a curb weight of 2800#s. my 2008 STi had a curb weight of 3400#s. M3 RWD is 3600#s. z06 vette is about 3600#s. F-Type R is 3800#s. M3 AWD is 4000#s.

One of my mates was the chief body engineer for Jag (newly retired) - lovely Scottish dude. He is doing some consulting for electrical projects in Detroit now.. ;) uh.... anyways... so I unfortunately crashed the car (blowout on rear tyre coming back from Marin) and he said to me... "I built that thing to be solid as a tank, stiffer than a stiff thing. If anyone ever tuned it, for *very* serious speed, it would be well worth it as we overbuilt it, to bolster the lovely flowing lines with serious strength. You are welcome haha"..... I do miss the car, it was an beast - to look at, the noise it made, the beautiful soft leather and stunning audio, handling, sense of occasion, but... on with the show. It is outclassed in driving by a 55k performance model 3, which is quicker, not just in a straight line, but in more use cases than a big fast V8 supercharged beast.

Its a funny old world. The world keeps turning, and good times with some ICE cars in the past, but the past is the past. We arent going there any more. Hopefully, Tesla get some good designers and interior design team to refresh so that the interior and exterior starts to match the price level that their premium products are at. I know the price goes on the chassis and drivetrain mostly but still..

Even then I am happy - the 3 is a real drivers car. The bunch of tweaks I have ordered will make that even more the case... I think the 3 outdrives the S by a very long way. Try both and see!

One of my mates was the chief body engineer for Jag (newly retired) - lovely Scottish dude. He is doing some consulting for electrical projects in Detroit now.. ;) uh.... anyways... so I unfortunately crashed the car (blowout on rear tyre coming back from Marin) and he said to me... "I built that thing to be solid as a tank, stiffer than a stiff thing. If anyone ever tuned it, for *very* serious speed, it would be well worth it as we overbuilt it, to bolster the lovely flowing lines with serious strength. You are welcome haha"..... I do miss the car, it was an beast - to look at, the noise it made, the beautiful soft leather and stunning audio, handling, sense of occasion, but... on with the show. It is outclassed in driving by a 55k performance model 3, which is quicker, not just in a straight line, but in more use cases than a big fast V8 supercharged beast.

Its a funny old world. The world keeps turning, and good times with some ICE cars in the past, but the past is the past. We arent going there any more. Hopefully, Tesla get some good designers and interior design team to refresh so that the interior and exterior starts to match the price level that their premium products are at. I know the price goes on the chassis and drivetrain mostly but still..

Even then I am happy - the 3 is a real drivers car. The bunch of tweaks I have ordered will make that even more the case... I think the 3 outdrives the S by a very long way. Try both and see!
i pretty much have this thought with every "historical" muscle car still showcased with cruise-ins and auto shows. the amount of gas those engines drank and produce what ended up being hardly any power. it's amazing how quickly technology has changed.

Hello Royal,

I have a Performance Model 3.

You need convincing? Easy.

I'll bring mine over to you if you wish. You can test drive it if you want.

Done.

I would love to take you up on that. Exchange contact info via pm?

i pretty much have this thought with every "historical" muscle car still showcased with cruise-ins and auto shows. the amount of gas those engines drank and produce what ended up being hardly any power. it's amazing how quickly technology has changed.

This was my first thought after driving it for the first time. I have two gas toys, a Jag E-Type (will always own it) and a Morgan 3 Wheeler (keeping for now), but internal combustion really is archaic for anything other than occasional recreation now that I've driven a Tesla. Times change, and inventions get better over time.

Also, for 2k, I just saw today we will be able to order moar power for the M3P. To be honest, its already savage - 2.9S to 60 is not a laughing matter, better have your sh1t together for that. I dont think it needs moar speed and power. Well, it will make track days funner. Magawd...

A few vehicles I have owned that I thoroughly enjoyed Driving: Porsche Cayman 2.9 6mt, 2008 Subrau STi Hatch, heavily modified. 2007 BMW 335i, tuned. 1997 Ford Probe GT, heavily modified (350+fwhp), 1972Porsche 914 2.0, 1992 Mustang GT, full hotchkiss suspension, various year Suzuki SV650's

There have been others that I enjoyed as vehicles but didnt enjoy "driving": Audi Q5 2.0T, Ford F-150 4x4 2.7T, 2011 BMW X3 35i (ok this car was fun to drive, but only because of how absurdly quick it was after a tune), 2016 MB GLC300, 2016 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4, Toyota Tacoma Access Cab.

That should give you an idea of my automotive predilections. I'm the kind of person who loves to walk up to a car, stick the key in the door, drop into the seat, push the clutch and crank the ignition over with a cold patinated key, give the well worn shifter a couple shakes and then settle in for a minute while the hurried cold start grumble settles into a warm thrum. I like cars with lots of mechanical grip, defeatable nannies, heavy clutches, heavier helms, and a propensity to throw you if you dont pay attention to them.

I greatly enjoy my Model 3 Performance as a vehicle all of the time, and occasionally enjoy driving it. I never walk out to it and think, that is a sexy car. Or walk out giddy with the anticipation of driving around the block. It does not light me up the way the STi did, or consume me the way the Cayman did. Its not challenging like a 350whp front wheel drive or a hotchkiss mustang with a mechanical LSD and tires from the late 90's. It doesn't have any endearing pitfalls or idiosyncrasies like a left side ignition, determination to understeer, insufficient grip, a turbo hose that likes to slip off or a need for new plugs ever 5,000 miles. Yours will not be any faster than anyone elses so you will have to differentiate with visual facets like tint, wheels and suspension.

The P3D is a phenomenal car. It has hurculean speed and grip, a beautifully sorted out chassis, great ergo and fair sightlines. You cant see the front of the car from the helm which I like in a drivers car and the nannies do not let you exploit the car. Track mode yields some improvement here but the car feels artificial, like playing Forza in real life.

I am determined to change the sways, a handful of suspension links, bushings and run the car on coilovers to see if the chassis cant be woken up a bit without destroying the mostly beautiful ride (the car see-saws on concrete freeways). As a daily driver I dont know that it can be beat; it is such a sedate, easy, quiet, comfortable and forgettable car, while still being other worldly fast and capable. If you have access to another vehicle that ticks all of the motor sport boxes of your soul, and you want a stupid reliable, supremely comfortable and shockingly fast and nimble car, then there is surely only one rational car in production today, the Tesla Model 3 Performance.

I'm the kind of person who loves to walk up to a car, stick the key in the door, drop into the seat, push the clutch and crank the ignition over with a cold patinated key, give the well worn shifter a couple shakes and then settle in for a minute while the hurried cold start grumble settles into a warm thrum. I like cars with lots of mechanical grip, defeatable nannies, heavy clutches, heavier helms, and a propensity to throw you if you dont pay attention to them.
You are a writer. Great stuff!

Hey all - my name's Royal, from Chicago IL. I'm a recovering/stubborn old school car guy warming up to the idea of ditching ICEs for my daily driver. For my entire life I have always enjoyed driver focused analog style cars, and I've had many of them, (example: I've owned every generation of 3 series up until the F30, and I also own a Morgan 3 wheeler). I just absolutely love driving.

So, I'm considering a Model 3 Performance edition, with gunmetal paint and black interior. I don't really have any interest in the self driving aspects and cost is not a primary consideration, I just want a really cool daily driver that will last me five to ten years. Also I'm not really considering any other cars and I'm not "up" on what the M3 Performance is being compared to. BMW, Audi, Benz, etc. haven't really been interesting in years to me... Basically, I am just looking to hear from other people that may have been in my position.

Will I like this car? Anyone move away from a stick shift and love it? Also, I sometimes like to customize my vehicles, are there any forums dedicated to this? Can't wait to learn a little more. Also, is it possible to order the car with smaller wheels than 20"? Seems kind of big for a smaller sedan, I'd prefer an 18 or 19.

I know this is long but I'm real curious. Hope to hear from some of you soon!

I bought a Model 3 Performance. My last car was a 473whp Camaro with a manual transmission. I thought I would miss the manual especially at the road course. But I really don't. The overall performance of the car blows everything else out off the water. There are cars that do one or two things better than the Model 3 Performance. But there are very few that can do everything as well as the Model 3 Performance does. Most cars that are faster than the Model 3 Performance can't haul as much stuff or people or actually drive on the road for long.

If you're interested in speed checkout my 1/2 mile racing play list.

Model 3 Performance 1/2 Mile Racing - YouTube

Also, I sometimes like to customize my vehicles, are there any forums dedicated to this? Can't wait to learn a little more. Also, is it possible to order the car with smaller wheels than 20"? Seems kind of big for a smaller sedan, I'd prefer an 18 or 19.

I know this is long but I'm real curious. Hope to hear from some of you soon!

As far as customizing. There’s plenty of forum members and threads here with modified model 3’s. Same basic mods as other cars...wheels, suspension, brakes, exterior mods, audio etc.

Here’s my summer set and chrome delete.

6B077B1D-86E3-4BC9-9427-F8BE53C5638B.jpeg

Reactions: MichaelP90DL