Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I need to charge - Big Bear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW, just in case anyone finds themselves in a similar situation, there is one more app you may want to consider having on your phone, EV Match:

I just did a quick search on Plugshare for the Big Bear area and it showed the Sierra Blue Suites and Hotel and the Pennsylvania Public Parking Lot. When I did a similar search on EV Match, it displayed at least 6 privately owned level-2 EVSEs or 14-50 outlets in the Big Bear area available for reservation and use through the EV Match app. Interestingly, none of these were listed on Plugshare.

BTW, just in case anyone finds themselves in a similar situation, there is one more app you may want to consider having on your phone, EV Match:

I just did a quick search on Plugshare for the Big Bear area and it showed the Sierra Blue Suites and Hotel and the Pennsylvania Public Parking Lot. When I did a similar search on EV Match, it displayed at least 6 privately owned level-2 EVSEs or 14-50 outlets in the Big Bear area available for reservation and use through the EV Match app. Interestingly, none of these were listed on Plugshare.
Interesting, never heard of it before but this could come in handy in the future. Have you tried using it?

Not that it would've helped OP, since they didn't bring their adapters with them.

Reactions: SteelClouds
honestly, until this thread, i thought EVERYONE LEFT THEIR ADAPTERS in the car 24/7.
I keep my mobile connector in my sub-trunk, along with the half-dozen NEMA adapters, even though I've NEVER needed to use them away from the house. I have a couple of socket adapters which convert outlets to standard NEMA outlets so I can plug in the mobile connector. I also have two J1772 adapters in the center console, each with their associated locking ring design, even though I've NEVER needed to use them outside of chargers I had at work. The only charging equipment I use on a regular basis is the CHAdeMO adapter. It's my "home" charging source around town and I've used it on the road at least a dozen times.

I'm a subscriber to this extension of Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong and it will do it the worst possible time. My thought is that if I ever leave home without one of my adapters, I'll need it somewhere on the road.

• Love
Reactions: ColoradoMike
I keep my mobile connector in my sub-trunk, along with the half-dozen NEMA adapters, even though I've NEVER needed to use them away from the house. I have a couple of socket adapters which convert outlets to standard NEMA outlets so I can plug in the mobile connector. I also have two J1772 adapters in the center console, each with their associated locking ring design, even though I've NEVER needed to use them outside of chargers I had at work. The only charging equipment I use on a regular basis is the CHAdeMO adapter. It's my "home" charging source around town and I've used it on the road at least a dozen times.

I'm a subscriber to this extension of Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong and it will do it the worst possible time. My thought is that if I ever leave home without one of my adapters, I'll need it somewhere on the road.
same here. every car i've ever owned ALWAYS has:

flares, flashlight, poncho, first aid kit, tools, water, snacks, fire extinguisher, cash, paper map, jacket, blanket, etc.

Reactions: SteelClouds
Interesting, never heard of it before but this could come in handy in the future. Have you tried using it?

Not that it would've helped OP, since they didn't bring their adapters with them.

I did use EV Match a couple years ago. My Tesla Wall Connector needed to be replaced and I used a level-2 EVSE I found through EV Match while I was waiting for the new unit to be installed. It worked well. The one disadvantage of EV Match is that you are working with private parties who own the EVSE. Some are very responsive and others are not.

Reactions: XPsionic
Hey guys! I wanted to say thank you so much for your help. I ended up with about 17% this morning and although I probably could have risked it, I stopped by Sierra Blue Suites for an hour and a half while grabbing lunch to get my battery to 33%. I then made it down the hill with about 37% charge!
What a shame you weren't ready to take the advice here and wasted 90 minutes (though I guess you ate) plus the time to that hotel. As you saw at the end you had tons of extra power, you weren't close at all (unless you report that, on the way to the downhill, you dropped to 14% which means you could have hit zero. Though your car actually can go below zero, but you never know how far until you try. Some people have reported quite a lot.

Like other people, I am baffled at how anybody could have left their J1772 adapter behind. I mean why would you ever take it out of your car? Is it you have a J1772 in your house and mounted the adapter permanently on it? They are only $50 so I would get another to live in the car in that case. (I once did lose my adapter but that is the only time it's not been in my car.)

Because of that, any Tesla owner you encountered would have one, and probably be fine to loan you one (especially if you offered a $60 deposit in case you could not find them again) if there was a closer charger than that hotel. And a decent fraction of the Tesla owners you meet might well have the CCS adapter which you would only need for 10 minutes to have boosted you up plenty.

But in fact you didn't need it, as ABRP and Tesla's internal planner would have told you.

Reactions: oneformula@gma
What a shame you weren't ready to take the advice here and wasted 90 minutes (though I guess you ate) plus the time to that hotel. As you saw at the end you had tons of extra power, you weren't close at all

But in fact you didn't need it, as ABRP and Tesla's internal planner would have told you.
Hah someone called me a "cowboy" for suggesting that OP have a good sleep and drive down the hill in the morning as per normal.

To be fair, for people with a bit of range anxiety or maybe less experience with that particular route or have trust issues with the trip planner, there's nothing really wrong with charging up a little. Regen and being efficient in traffic jams and slow speeds are concepts that's hard to believe in sometimes if you've driven gas cars for decades.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
What a shame you weren't ready to take the advice here and wasted 90 minutes (though I guess you ate) plus the time to that hotel. As you saw at the end you had tons of extra power, you weren't close at all (unless you report that, on the way to the downhill, you dropped to 14% which means you could have hit zero. Though your car actually can go below zero, but you never know how far until you try. Some people have reported quite a lot.

Like other people, I am baffled at how anybody could have left their J1772 adapter behind. I mean why would you ever take it out of your car? Is it you have a J1772 in your house and mounted the adapter permanently on it? They are only $50 so I would get another to live in the car in that case. (I once did lose my adapter but that is the only time it's not been in my car.)

Because of that, any Tesla owner you encountered would have one, and probably be fine to loan you one (especially if you offered a $60 deposit in case you could not find them again) if there was a closer charger than that hotel. And a decent fraction of the Tesla owners you meet might well have the CCS adapter which you would only need for 10 minutes to have boosted you up plenty.

Kinda harsh. Did you have a bad day or something?

You’ll gain a charge. As long as your percentage doesn’t drop where you can’t drive to the end of big bear where it’s downhill. Youll be ok. Or you can try driving back early downhill charge near the supercharger then head back up. Also try on PlugShare if you can grab a 5 hr charge to bump it up more. Just pay them for electricity.

Kinda harsh. Did you have a bad day or something?
As somebody who believes we need to switch to EVs, it's a bad day when an EV ends up making things a lot worse for you than driving a gas car. This was one of those times -- but only because of uncertainty, since the car could have handled the situation fine.

Not that EVs never involve compromise, especially on trips into the country. But I hope to see less and less of it, and to say that the gasoline car has more compromises than the electric one. We need that to make this transition.

Ideally the tools should get so accurate at their estimates and planning that we never have to doubt them. Now, in the very specific case of Big Bear, there will be a supercharger there before long, since it won the voting contest. But that doesn't solve the rest of the rural areas we want to drive to. I can see why Tesla didn't put a charger there at first -- you generally don't need superchargers at the top of hills, for the reasons discussed.

Reactions: fiehlsport and KenC
I took my car from LA to Mendocino county on the coast. Once you get up on the PCH up there, it's a charging desert. I had to drive over a mountain range to t he next valley to a super charger. I was extremely nervous as I was cutting it fine, especially considering the mountains. I took it really slowly up the hill and regen down the mountain. I actually ended up barely using any electricity at all by the end, I was gaining so much power going down the hill, it almost seemed miraculous. Also shout out to many of the wineries and breweries in Anderson valley that have Tesla chargers on site (albeit slow).

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and XPsionic