Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I ordered a Performance 3. The car at delivery was an AWD.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As for the motors I hear they are the same. I did read a thread where a guy bought a P but had AWD and nothing on the cars computer saying it was a P. He called tesla and after a download, he had a P with all the extra performance.

You're talking about the OP? ok.

Anyway my 8th digit is a B. But for a performance dual motor it should be a 4.
So perhaps it used to be binned when they first manufactured it and now its not longer.
Software update may change the performance of the motors but part of the $11k may be the suspension, calipers, wheels.

Actually a few people. I have seen people who ordered AWD but also have the red line under. They also note enhanced performance.

The P does have different breaks/calipers, and rides a little low. As for the motors I hear they are the same. I did read a thread where a guy bought a P but had AWD and nothing on the cars computer saying it was a P. He called tesla and after a download, he had a P with all the extra performance.

For official timing sure. Im pretty good with a stopwatch. No way I was off either side of that .1 sec +/`-. Point is....this car is much faster than 4.5 sec/ 0-60.

I'd bet you money you're off by more than you think. Roughly 0.4 seconds off in fact.

One way I know is lots of folks have done actual calibrated measurements of AWD cars (at higher SoC too) and none are anywhere near that quick.

Quickest I'm aware of (with rollout) is 4.26....and non-rollout (ie real world) times being within a tenth of 4.5 pretty much universally.

So either you secretly have a P model and don't realize it (and are running very slow times) or you have an AWD and measured it a lot less accurately than you think.

The second one seems a lot more likely.

Reactions: PessimiStick
The P does have different breaks/calipers, and rides a little low. As for the motors I hear they are the same. I did read a thread where a guy bought a P but had AWD and nothing on the cars computer saying it was a P. He called tesla and after a download, he had a P with all the extra performance.

Only Ps with the optional 5k option pack have those things (well, now those are standard, but that's a very recent change)

The base P before they made that standard has exactly the same parts as the AWD, just a software unlock for more power.

You're talking about the OP? ok.

Anyway my 8th digit is a B. But for a performance dual motor it should be a 4.
So perhaps it used to be binned when they first manufactured it and now its not longer.
Software update may change the performance of the motors but part of the $11k may be the suspension, calipers, wheels.

VINs on Peformance and AWD Model 3's are no different. Only the Performance Model S is different.

Reactions: whatthe2