Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I own a 2022 Mercedes Benz GLB 250. I drive 30,000 miles a year. Looking for input as I look into Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, first time poster here!

I recently purchased a MB GLB 4 Matic 250 in July of 2022. I wanted to purchase the MYLR but could not justify the price increase at that time. I drive 30,000 miles a year annually for work and I am thinking of trading my vehicle in. I did not put any deposit down on my current vehicle and I am looking to trade it in to purchase a MY. I do get paid for the amount of driving I do. With the price decrease/tax incentive, I am really considering making a purchase.

So here is my question. Do any of you truly notice a savings in gas/maintenance? Right now, I am spending roughly $350/400 a month on gas and roughly $300 every 3-4 months for oil changes. If I were to trade my vehicle in to CarMax I would have about 5-6k of negative equity (I can pay this off). 90% of my drives I am home same day so the daily charging would benefit me. I am struggling to make a decision as I do not want to be in this situation again/make the wrong decision.

Thank you all

Well, no oil changes, no fluid leaks, no transmission service, etc. My fuel costs (home charging) for my Model Y have been about 3¢ per mile over the life of the car. You are probably paying roughly 15¢/mile for gas in the GLB. You won't have to replace brakes on a Model Y. But you may have to replace the tires sooner.

The huge intangibles are never going to a gas station. And the ease of driving a Model Y will greatly reduce your fatigue at the end of a day you drove 100 - 150 miles.

IMHO, you are a perfect candidate for an EV. You are effectively a professional driver, putting 2 - 3 hours a day in a car. You are well below the range of the Model Y. And you are home almost every night so charging is a non-issue. Your use pattern is abusive for an ICE but nothing to an EV. (You just need to check charging availability in those 10% nights you are not home.)

Last edited:
First, you should consider where you drive and where you will charge the car. Will you be able to charge at home and will that carry you for the day or will you need to recharge on the road? If on the road, will you able to find suitable locations to charge?

As to “fuel” cost, it depends on what you pay for electricity. For example, let’s assume the car consumes 260 wH/mi and electricity at your home is $0.15 / kWh. This will be about $0.04 / mile. At $0.50 / kWh it will be about $0.13 / mile. You can compare this to your MB.

Note the 260 wH/mi figure will vary depending on how you drive, where you drive and how cold it is. There are lots of posts you can review on the subject. By way of example, if we assume a consumption of 300 wH/mi, if you run the numbers this will add about 15% to the per mile cost.

The cost of your electricity from charging at home will be the most determining factor. You can also mitigate that with solar.
Before Covid I used to drive a gas car about the same amount that you do per year, and I was getting gas twice a week, and I was paying about $450 a month. One thing you need to consider, while getting twice a week gas, you are spending 20 to 30 minutes a week getting to and filling up the car. By charging at home, you’re spending about 10 seconds every day. The time you save can be banked, so that the few times that you need to supercharge on long trips, mitigate the Amount of time you spend super charging. I found that the time savings between maintenance and not having to go to a gas station was wonderful.

Reactions: Jedisparky and GSP

I recently purchased a MB GLB 4 Matic 250 in July of 2022. I wanted to purchase the MYLR but could not justify the price increase at that time. I drive 30,000 miles a year annually for work and I am thinking of trading my vehicle in. I did not put any deposit down on my current vehicle and I am looking to trade it in to purchase a MY. I do get paid for the amount of driving I do. With the price decrease/tax incentive, I am really considering making a purchase.

So here is my question. Do any of you truly notice a savings in gas/maintenance? Right now, I am spending roughly $350/400 a month on gas and roughly $300 every 3-4 months for oil changes. If I were to trade my vehicle in to CarMax I would have about 5-6k of negative equity (I can pay this off). 90% of my drives I am home same day so the daily charging would benefit me. I am struggling to make a decision as I do not want to be in this situation again/make the wrong decision.

Thank you all
TLDR: A full battery charge is cheaper than a full tank of gas.

Thank you all
A model Y is going to much cheaper. If you are able to receive mileage reimbursement you will do well.

IRS issues standard mileage rates for 2023; business use increases 3 cents per mile​

"These rates apply to electric and hybrid-electric automobiles, as well as gasoline and diesel-powered vehicles."

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and SpicyPaneer
I calculated that the MYP's electricity cost (charging at home) is roughly 1/3 of what it cost to fuel my previous '15 Honda Odyssey over the same number of miles with gas prices around $3/gal. The two cars actually weigh about the same so it's kind of a good comparison.

For me the gas/maintenance savings is pretty far down the list of why I would rather drive an EV vs. ICE though. Drivetrain smoothness, charging at home, EV-specific features are more compelling reasons for me to drive EV.

It's a considerable savings over a gas vehicle. How much driving do you do per day? If you have to do a lot of supercharging (public charging) that cuts into gas savings a bit. If you buy a LR and drive 150 or less per day I would say go for it. If you drive considerably more you will have to fast charge.

In the 2nd case you would want to research the charging cost for supercharging. Here in the northeast I have seen a range between .22 and .36 per kWh at supercharger. This varies by location.

If I had $6,000 in negative I would want to get that paid back with cost savings. Maintenance is much less since there is no ICE. It's mainly tires, wiper blades, windshield washer, cabin filters, etc.

They recommend having the calipers lubricated annually. You have brake fluid and coolant that should be flushed at the recommended intervals.

But there is no oil, belts, spark plugs, complicated emissions equipment, etc.

It's a considerable savings over a gas vehicle. How much driving do you do per day? If you have to do a lot of supercharging (public charging) that cuts into gas savings a bit. If you buy a LR and drive 150 or less per day I would say go for it. If you drive considerably more you will have to fast charge.

In the 2nd case you would want to research the charging cost for supercharging. Here in the northeast I have seen a range between .22 and .36 per kWh at supercharger. This varies by location.

If I had $6,000 in negative I would want to get that paid back with cost savings. Maintenance is much less since there is no ICE. It's mainly tires, wiper blades, windshield washer, cabin filters, etc.

They recommend having the calipers lubricated annually. You have brake fluid and coolant that should be flushed at the recommended intervals.

But there is no oil, belts, spark plugs, complicated emissions equipment, etc.
I drive 30k annually, and average 100-200 daily. Some times I break the 275 mark. I have my wife's highlander if I needed to take it I can.

I calculated that the MYP's electricity cost (charging at home) is roughly 1/3 of what it cost to fuel my previous '15 Honda Odyssey over the same number of miles with gas prices around $3/gal. The two cars actually weigh about the same so it's kind of a good comparison.

For me the gas/maintenance savings is pretty far down the list of why I would rather drive an EV vs. ICE though. Drivetrain smoothness, charging at home, EV-specific features are more compelling reasons for me to drive EV.
I get that. For me, it's questioning the financial hit I am taking for $6000 by going EV. I'd like to make that back.. and hoping the reality is that I will recoup my losses.

We drove about 20k miles in 2021. Did the math comparing the 6 cylinder Subaru Outback we didn't buy instead of the Y, (OB takes premium gas) and we saved $3500 in gas (using actual gas price here in 2021). Our electricity is .09/kw at home.

Driving that much, every 2 years there's a $1000 service needed on the gas cars too, so it adds up fast.

If it's just $$$, get the Y. Be sure to drive one first, it's a very different experience. I prefer it, but coming from a Mercedes, it could be a big adjustment.

Simple math, you will save around $4,700/year in fuel and oil changes by going EV. Payback could be 2 years.
where was the math on that? Without knowing the OP's power rate, that seems like a guess. Baltimore averages 17 cents/kwh. But, seems like with the right chargers, there is a TOU plan that would allow for 3.75 cents/kwh.

After the charger investment, that would mean 1c/mile in fuel cost. At 30k/year, that's pretty close to free, so maybe the math is pretty close on.

For a 4 year stretch, I commuted across the SF Bay on a motorcycle, doing 60k in 4 years, and as much as 20 in 1. Because of the small fuel tank, I was stopping for gas every other day. The gas station time tax is really high, and is also so for the OP. That might be the real reason to do it, even having to eat the 6k loss. Though you will likely be getting a set of tires annually. It would be good savings to pick a wheel size that allows for cheaper replacements.

The gotcha is that on those days you exceed 200 miles, you're probably going to have to do a charging session before getting home. How often does this happen? It depends on if these are freeway miles at 75 versus city streets. I average 320watts/mile on my MYP, but I'm going 75-85 for most of those miles. Can be 260-270 if I'm in heavier traffic where I average 45-50.

I drive 30k annually, and average 100-200 daily. Some times I break the 275 mark. I have my wife's highlander if I needed to take it I can.
I am in Mount Airy, MD. you will need to do some public charging. You don't want to regularly charge above 90% or run the battery below 20% state of charge. Anything less than 150-160 should be doable but anymore than that you will want to stop at a supercharger. Out here we have Potomac Edison and after I add in all the fees I am paying just under .11 per kwh which is pretty good. A supercharger is going to be at least double that and sometimes triple. It is doable without too much inconvenience. Plus, you will leave every day with a 90% charge so you should be stopping less.

Also, keep in mind that at 30k per year you will be out of the B2B warranty in year two. The battery and drive units have a longer warranty.

8 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.

Now, let's say you save $2,500 in fuel per year it would take you 2.5 years to recoup the $6,000. That would give you 1.5 years of savings before your out of warranty. So you would save $3,750. Now if fuel prices go up again or if your numbers are higher that changes things. There is also a convenience factor though because you will be charging mostly at home. You need to do some math and make sure your comfortable taking the loss on your current vehicle which is sounds like you are.

car rentals never do maintenance even on their ICE cars lol
You obviously didn't do the exercise, let me help. Hertz is reporting a 50-60% savings on maintenance alone. As you point out, they probably do the bare minimum at a wholesale cost. This doesn't even account for fuel. They have 100,000 Tesla's, that's a big sample size.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and jjrandorin