Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I purposely do NOT plug-in overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gavine

Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
Our Model X unlocks and re-locks itself constantly (every few minutes) while parked in the garage. When the car is plugged-in and it unlocks itself, the HV contactors close, the coolant pump spins-up and other things seem to cycle on/off. When the car is not plugged-in, only the running lights turn-on but no contactor or pump activity. So, I just plug in the car in the morning before leaving, thus limiting the contactor and pump cycles and prolonging their life/reliability.

I realize I could shield the key or turn-off auto unlock, but those options are not acceptable (it's my wife's primary vehicle).

Any other ideas on how to plug-in overnight and not have those systems cycle on/off tens of times per night?

I have a similar problem because our garage shares a wall with my wife's desk, where she tends to drop her purse. We've tried to make a habit of dropping the key into a key drawer in the kitchen, but obviously it gets missed on occasion. Thankfully there's a window into the garage that I can see through my porch doors and I'll see the lights blink.

We considered putting her key in a box in the purse, but then she'd have to take it out to get into the car, plus she'd lose the auto opening features.

Here's a thought -- maybe an attractive box or hook for your/my wife's purse that's out of range for the vehicle. A place where it's easy to place the purse and key without having to rummage through and find it each time. For the most part, our habit covers us, but it's annoying when it doesn't for the reasons you mention.

• Helpful
Reactions: gavine
I have a similar problem because our garage shares a wall with my wife's desk, where she tends to drop her purse. We've tried to make a habit of dropping the key into a key drawer in the kitchen, but obviously it gets missed on occasion. Thankfully there's a window into the garage that I can see through my porch doors and I'll see the lights blink.

We considered putting her key in a box in the purse, but then she'd have to take it out to get into the car, plus she'd lose the auto opening features.

Here's a thought -- maybe an attractive box or hook for your/my wife's purse that's out of range for the vehicle. A place where it's easy to place the purse and key without having to rummage through and find it each time. For the most part, our habit covers us, but it's annoying when it doesn't for the reasons you mention.
Might look into faraday pouch or bag. Probably not ideal either as would still have to take fob out, but might be decent workaround.

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman