Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I received a title for my financed M3?!

Yuey

Aug 16, 2019
seattle
Today, I received the title for my financed Model 3, I placed the order three month ago, and got the car about one month ago. From my understanding, I will received the title after I pay off the car. Is Tesla doing anything differently? Anybody else who financed a Tesla got their title?

Luso7

Oct 15, 2019
NJ
Today, I received the title for my financed Model 3, I placed the order three month ago, and got the car about one month ago. From my understanding, I will received the title after I pay off the car. Is Tesla doing anything differently? Anybody else who financed a Tesla got their title?
Sounds like a mistake. The lender should have it until you pay off the lien

Yuey

Aug 16, 2019
seattle
Edit: after some googling, I see that this does, in fact, differ from state to state. In some states, the borrower holds the title with a lien marked on it. In other states, lender holds the title until the loan is repaid. Here’s a list: The state title office sent me the title to my vehicle. Is there anything I need to do? - Santander Consumer USA
Thanks for the reply! I financed another car in Washington State before my M3. I don't see the title until I paid it off. Also, for the Tesla title, my name is the only owner appeals on the title. Very odd!

BikerPeaBody

Oct 20, 2019
Virginia
yeah in Maryland they give you the title after a few weeks or so if you financed
doesn't mean much though because you can't sell the car because title has a lien on it
once you finish paying you'll get a new title with the lien removed and then you have full right to car and sell if you wish

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC