Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I reserved 2 M3's but will only be able to afford 1, options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there!

I reserved two Model 3's on day one in the hope that I could have one myself and our company would take the other. the company has purchased a Zoe recently and won't be picking up the M3.

So the obvious answer is to just refund the deposit but I wondered if there are other options. The M3 will be a stretch for me as it is, so are the opportunities to make more than the refund value? Are people looking to skip the queue in the UK? Or anything like this?

I don't want this to come off badly, I'm not trying to make a quick buck on this thing. Anything that can help a young guy afford his Model 3 and make the move away from ICE is so so welcome!

Thanks all :)

The only chance of making any money on this is to actually order the car and try to flip it straight away above list price with delivery mileage. I expect that probably happened in the US at the start of production, but it will only work if there is a long wait for a new order.

My crystal ball gazing is that by the time UK deliveries start production will be at a considerable rate, and clearing the backlog won't take long so short-queue and not long to wait ...

... except that the number of service centres may still be small and deliveries may have to be staggered in order not to overload them.

Toss a coin maybe ...

I’m in a similar boat. Got a M3 reservation which I don’t want (bought a MS last year).

Not looking to make any money out of it, but if someone wants it they can have it (for £1,000 of course).

I’ve just kept it running in the event that they become amazingly scarce and then I can buy the car and be the first :)

Not likely though as they’ll probably ship all the right hand drive ones over at the same time.

Plenty of people with reservations in the US aren’t converting to orders while they wait for cheaper versions, the reservation is worth very little. Somebody pointed out if you’d bought $1k of shares instead, you’d have $1700 today. It’s a funny world the way Tesla gets cash out it’s customers

Thanks all, I really appreciate the replies. If anybody knows where I could get a crystal ball that could be really useful too ;)

I think, like others, I'll wait and see and play it by ear. Let's see what happens. In the long run let's hope for better returns on our loans!!!!

Thanks again, a really warm welcome and it's been great.

I’m in a similar boat. Got a M3 reservation which I don’t want (bought a MS last year).

Not looking to make any money out of it, but if someone wants it they can have it (for £1,000 of course).

I’ve just kept it running in the event that they become amazingly scarce and then I can buy the car and be the first :)

Not likely though as they’ll probably ship all the right hand drive ones over at the same time.

Can you even transfer a reservation?

My crystal ball gazing is that by the time UK deliveries start production will be at a considerable rate, and clearing the backlog won't take long so short-queue and not long to wait ...

... except that the number of service centres may still be small and deliveries may have to be staggered in order not to overload them.

Toss a coin maybe ...

That's my gut feeling too. We do have an M3 reservation (only taken very recently) but I believe current Tesla owners get priority in the queue, so I'm hoping it won't be a very long wait once they start shipping. Realistically I'm expecting it to be late 2019 to finalise the order and early 2020 delivery, but I wouldn't be surprised if it slips back from that!

My opinion would be, if you don’t want the reservation get your £1000 back and let another reservationists move up the queue. That way everyone benefits and people who placed their deposits as you did get the Model 3 in turnkeeping it fair.

I doubt it will make much difference as if you don't actually order a car when invited then I presume the next person in line gets invited pretty soon afterward!

if you don't actually order a car when invited then I presume the next person in line gets invited

That's how it has been working in the USA, particularly given that the model you wanted, at reservation, might not have yet existed! so there has been an option to defer reservation.

Seems likely Tesla will offer premium price / highest margin models abroad first too

Seems likely Tesla will offer premium price / highest margin models abroad first too

That does make good business sense. I want the Performance model, so I'm hoping those will be the first to be offered in the UK. I know it wasn't quite like that in the US, but I presume that was because the P model was still under development when the M3 was first released.

I want the Performance model

:)

I want range :cool:. M3 more efficient motors etc., but smaller battery than MS.

Thinking of chopping the P90D for a 100D - that would add at least 30 miles of range.

Although comparing the S100D to the M3 Aero (on a regular trip that takes me a few tens of miles beyond range), the M3 would need 1 minute less Supercharging (charges faster, in terms of miles-gained) and arrive home with 1% more energy ... and I have heard that M3 consumption on A Better Route Planner is more conservative than MS figures, so might actually do better in practice.

If I could get that trip down to NO recharge that would be perfect. I have other longer journeys, and happy to tool-up for them - and often overnight on those anyway, which solves the problem - but that one,a nd a few like it, is fairly frequent. Currently the return trip requires a 10 minute detour to get to Supercharger ... and then I would only need a 6 minute stop in an S100

A Better Route Planner chooses the same route for P90D but its both a 17 minute stop and also "tight" to get to that charger (but the detour takes me past another charger, so I have that option e.g. in Winter - but no such worry in S100 / M3Aero)

So maybe I should hang on to P90D and add an M3 Aero.

Coming up to year end, not really time to replace the MS yet, and I guess about £ 30K between resale and new purchase, and accountant saying "do it when you want to, not because it is year end" and in answer to my "What about if I keep an eye open for a cheap finance deal" he said "No, even if fiance is 1.5% it doesn't make sense to swap Owned for Cheap Finance" - as in "If cash flow gets tight then just get rid of the car" :)

:)

I want range :cool:. M3 more efficient motors etc., but smaller battery than MS.

Thinking of chopping the P90D for a 100D - that would add at least 30 miles of range.

Although comparing the S100D to the M3 Aero (on a regular trip that takes me a few tens of miles beyond range), the M3 would need 1 minute less Supercharging (charges faster, in terms of miles-gained) and arrive home with 1% more energy ... and I have heard that M3 consumption on A Better Route Planner is more conservative than MS figures, so might actually do better in practice.

If I could get that trip down to NO recharge that would be perfect. I have other longer journeys, and happy to tool-up for them - and often overnight on those anyway, which solves the problem - but that one,a nd a few like it, is fairly frequent. Currently the return trip requires a 10 minute detour to get to Supercharger ... and then I would only need a 6 minute stop in an S100

A Better Route Planner chooses the same route for P90D but its both a 17 minute stop and also "tight" to get to that charger (but the detour takes me past another charger, so I have that option e.g. in Winter - but no such worry in S100 / M3Aero)

So maybe I should hang on to P90D and add an M3 Aero.

Coming up to year end, not really time to replace the MS yet, and I guess about £ 30K between resale and new purchase, and accountant saying "do it when you want to, not because it is year end" and in answer to my "What about if I keep an eye open for a cheap finance deal" he said "No, even if fiance is 1.5% it doesn't make sense to swap Owned for Cheap Finance" - as in "If cash flow gets tight then just get rid of the car" :)

We're looking at a M3P as a second car and range is not critical. Definitely keeping our MX until its 4-year PCP ends in early 2022.