Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I saw this once, wonder if it's a good idea, does anyone use it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A long time ago (over a year), I was probably perusing this very website and saw a photo thread (i.e., a thread with photos!) about a Tesla owner that had cobbled together a circuit box that allowed him to plug in TWO NEMA 14-50 cables and get 80A charging speed. This was way before the Supercharging network was as robust as it is today, so I don't know if there is any need.

But thinking about it, the Tesla owner was using an RV park to charge and this was likely an emergency situation. In that case, using 2 NEMA 14-50's together would certainly allow trip continuance.

Does any know what I'm talking about? Is this something owners use or have heard of? I'm not an owner (hope to be, soon) and am somewhat paranoid about running out of range. I'm thinking a 50-amp extension cord (I know, I know, not recommended) would be a good idea, as might this device.

From what I recall, the guy was an EE and it was a one-off. I'm not aware of a similar device available for purchase at this point.

I have an extension cord, but I've never used it. Realistically, I doubt you even need that. The charging network is expanding rapidly.

I recall that too and, while a cool idea, probably not practical. His was quite large and heavy. You would need to coordinate 2 NEMA 14-50s close enough to use but not on the same circuit (?). And probably a lot of places would heavily frown on the use of such a contraption. It was very cool though.

There are a few big problems with such a box:

1. In places with 3-phase power, you have to find 208-Volt 14-50's on the same phase. A one in three chance with random selection.
  2. Balancing currents from two different circuit paths and connector sets can be difficult.
  3. It's against code.

Hi Panoz,

I created said box. Setting aside that there are times the box wouldn't help, etc, I would not think it would be of much use nowadays. I haven't used mine to combine circuits in over a year. Another gentleman I helped with creating a similar device just let me know that he also hadn't used his in the last year either. Between the growth of the Supercharging network, and the release of the CHAdeMO adapter, I think the need for it is almost 0. A very good CHAdeMO charger will get you more than twice the charging rate of anything you could get from normal AC power. If you are nervous about charging, I would recommend (as you suggested) a heavy duty extension cord, along with a full compliment of the adapters to the various outlets you may see out there and a CHAdeMO adapter. After you live with the car for a few months I think you will find that your paranoia disappears :)

As a side note, If you wanted to retrace the same crazy 5,200 mile cross country route we took two years ago, you could do so today never needing to charge at anything other than Superchargers the entire trip! What a difference 2 years makes!

Peter

Wow! That much difference, eh?

Hi Panoz,

I created said box. Setting aside that there are times the box wouldn't help, etc, I would not think it would be of much use nowadays. I haven't used mine to combine circuits in over a year. Another gentleman I helped with creating a similar device just let me know that he also hadn't used his in the last year either. Between the growth of the Supercharging network, and the release of the CHAdeMO adapter, I think the need for it is almost 0. A very good CHAdeMO charger will get you more than twice the charging rate of anything you could get from normal AC power. If you are nervous about charging, I would recommend (as you suggested) a heavy duty extension cord, along with a full compliment of the adapters to the various outlets you may see out there and a CHAdeMO adapter. After you live with the car for a few months I think you will find that your paranoia disappears :)

As a side note, If you wanted to retrace the same crazy 5,200 mile cross country route we took two years ago, you could do so today never needing to charge at anything other than Superchargers the entire trip! What a difference 2 years makes!

Peter