TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

I sometimes can't pull the charger wand out of the port...

Discussion in 'Model X' started by gizmosmith, Aug 15, 2016.

1. gizmosmith

gizmosmith New Member

So when I want to disconnect the Tesla wall charger cable from the car, I press the button on the wand. The lights then change from green (cause it's still charging) to blue but then back to green. If it does turn white, it turns white for a brief moment until I try to take out the handle when it then turns blue or green again and I can't.

Typically, I have to press the button and go through the light color cycles four or five times before I can then get the handle out - I think it is when I time my pull to the brief moment (<1 sec) when I have a white light.

Anyone else see this? Am I doing something wrong?

• Like x 1
  2. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

Did you unlock the car first?

3. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

Hold the button down until the light turns white then pull out the charger.

4. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

#4 andrewket, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    The car also has to be unlocked.

• Like x 1
  5. Firewired

Firewired Member

. At least on the S there is a dead zone by the charger port where the car doesn't see the key fob. My usual routine as I approach the car from the rear is walk forward to the rear door so the the key fob can be recognized then take a step back to the charger plug and hold the button until it turns the ring around the port turns white and then attempt to remove it.

6. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

Perhaps you aren't saying the correct incantation.

• Funny x 1
  7. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

On the MX, at least on my car, you must unlock the car either by opening a door with the handle or the key fob. Press and hold the charger handle button until the light ring turns white, then pull handle out. Coincidentally, opening the trunk does not qualify as unlocking the car.

8. Ryan MF

Ryan MF Member

Highly recommend reading the pertinent page in the manual. It explains the need to unlock and hold down the button, not press.

9. richardw0000

richardw0000 Member

I didn't figure this out until this past weekend: If you hold down the button on the connector, it will remain unlocked (white) until you pull the connector out. This was after fighting with the car for 3 for 4 button presses and not being able to pull the connector out in time.