Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think the MY is trying to do me harm!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been playing with navigate on autopilot and there were two instances which freaks me out. It happened on more than one occasion.

1- I'm in the right lane on the freeway and that lane allows you to continue on the highway or it exits. The car was going pretty fast and didn't slow down to exit and when I try to signal for it to exit, it hesitated and I felt like it wanted to run into the barrier divider which is between the exit and freeway. I had to jerk it into the lane. The guy behind probably thought I was being a dumb Tesla driver.

2- On the city street, if I go down a street with no parked cars, the vehicle thinks I have a wide lane and when it comes up to a street with a parked car, it starts to break hard. It feels as if the vehicle assumed the parked car was a vehicle in my path. The vehicle should've just try to be 2 feet from the left line, maybe that might work better than it trying to be in the middle. Not sure on this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: qdeathstar
Autopilot is beta and you need to provide it your full attention at all times. Those two scenarios are ares where autopilot needs work.

As far as your range issue, what speeds are you driving, are you using ac/heat, and what is your watt/mi?

Yeah, at this point navigate on autopilot is a bit useless, hopefully it'll get a lot better because it wasn't a cheap option.
I've removed my range question/comment as I've found many threads on it. Here in socal the traffic speeds is usually 80mph, slower and you're holding people up. I also have the A/C on all the time. I try to use autopilot all the time and modify the max speed as I go. I believe autopilot will save me money in avoiding speeding tickets. I think the speed at which I'm driving is reducing my range. The 290 mile range that it shows me is very deceiving. It's more like, you "can" get 290miles if you don't drive up hill in good weather, moderate temps, and go no faster than 45 mph and if you drive alone with no cargo. I guess this is all just lessons learned as a new EV owner. I'll be bitching some more once I install a hitch and lose range because of the bike in the back,

yes, real FSD is not yet there. In particular I dislike the second one while driving on TACC (not on autosteer), no vehicle I have ever driven with adaptive cruise control will do that, unless your current course will basically rear-end it. The Tesla is way too sensitive.

The first case isn't really supported, it will work much better if you use navigate on AP (assuming you have FSD).

I drove my 2021 mercedes today and in comparison that auto lane assist kept bouncing back and forth between the lines. Tesla was more reliable and strict.
I've also found that the turning radius on the MY is pretty poor.

btw. my energy graph shows in 30 miles I average 250 Wh/mi

I'm not sure what markers you were referring to but the left line was solid and the right one comes and goes since it opens because when there are no cars parked on the right, it sees it as a wide lane and then when there is a car parked later on, it thinks it's a car which pulled in front of me. I think that's what is going on.