Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Tried IGL Renew F4 Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried IGL Renew F4 for the first time today on my wife's Honda Accord. I figured I would try it on her car first and then, if it goes well, I'll apply it to my P3D next. For anyone not famliar with Renew F4, it is a graphene-infused paint cleaner/rejuvinator/ and protectant all in one. It does not contain any abrasives but it is supposed to fix and fill minor blemishes before laying down a layer of graphene protection.

I applied the Renew F4 using a Torque DA polisher with a black polishing pad. Overall, I really liked the product. It was easy to work with and the paint was super glossy and felt very slick. I am going to let it cure for 24 hours and then tomorrow I am going to apply IGL Premier, which is their SiO2 spray sealant and recommended topper for Renew F4. The combo of Renew F4 and Premier is supposed to be outstanding, so I am excited to try the Premier tomorrow.

One specific unexpected benefit was on the headlights. The car's headlights were heavily oxidized and I was planning on buying a headlight restoration kit. I applied the Renew F4 to the headlight and 90% of the oxidation is gone.

honda.jpg

Oxidation on the headlights is nearly gone...
headlight-honda.jpg

ecoshinerenew.jpg

Good report!

If it doesn't contain any abrasives, it must have strong solvents in it to remove headlight haze/oxidation.

Thanks for your post. Your comment made me wonder what kind of solvents are in it. I looked up the product info. On the one hand, the IGL website says this:

Formulation is free from dangerous solvents, Non-toxic, biodegradable and REACH compliant

On the other hand, the product data sheet says that it contains naphtha. Naphtha is a petroleum distillent and, according to Xpel, should not be used on PPF. So even though IGL lists this product as safe for PPF, I would not want to take the chance and would not use on PPF.

Thanks for your post. Your comment made me wonder what kind of solvents are in it. I looked up the product info. On the one hand, the IGL website says this:

Formulation is free from dangerous solvents, Non-toxic, biodegradable and REACH compliant

On the other hand, the product data sheet says that it contains naphtha. Naphtha is a petroleum distillent and, according to Xpel, should not be used on PPF. So even though IGL lists this product as safe for PPF, I would not want to take the chance and would not use on PPF.

Absolutely not questioning the product, its mfg. recommendations, or your experience. Unfortunately, there is never a free lunch. I'm glad you did a bit more diligence.

I think most products have some level of solvent to keep things in solution and promote flashing. Most PPF manufacturers indicate that CC products are safe to use on top of PPF (I personally use Optimum Opti Gloss Coat on Suntek Ultra PPF film). Its quite possible this product is just fine as well...I just figured that if it can remove haze/fading from clear plastics the solvents are probably pretty strong.

Absolutely not questioning the product, its mfg. recommendations, or your experience. Unfortunately, there is never a free lunch. I'm glad you did a bit more diligence.

I think most products have some level of solvent to keep things in solution and promote flashing. Most PPF manufacturers indicate that CC products are safe to use on top of PPF (I personally use Optimum Opti Gloss Coat on Suntek Ultra PPF film). Its quite possible this product is just fine as well...I just figured that if it can remove haze/fading from clear plastics the solvents are probably pretty strong.

What's interesting is that on another forum somebody mentioned that Xpel's own paint sealant actually has naphtha in it. I emailed Xpel customer service to ask them why there is naphtha in their own paint sealant when in the PPF care section of their website they say not to use sealants that contain Naptha. I have been extremely pleased with Xpel and their customer service. I am confident they will reply and address my concerns.

Thanks again for the heads up.