Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I want summon to park closer to wall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just started my autopilot trial yesterday. I didn't think I would get much benefit from autopilot, which is why I didn't buy it in the first place. But I am liking the auto-park/summon functionality. The only thing is, I need it to park closer to the wall than it wants to. We have a tight squeeze in the garage with both cars, and I want the drivers side to get as close to the wall as possible. When I park it myself, I get as close to the wall as I can and still allow myself to get out the drivers side door. Ideally with auto-park, I'd like to get it even closer. But in practice it doesn't even get as close to the wall as I do when parking myself. Are there any tricks to getting it closer? I configured the settings for the tightest parking.

I'm guessing the problem is that it sees plenty of room on the right side, so it doesn't know to go closer to the wall on the left side

Just started my autopilot trial yesterday. I didn't think I would get much benefit from autopilot, which is why I didn't buy it in the first place. But I am liking the auto-park/summon functionality. The only thing is, I need it to park closer to the wall than it wants to. We have a tight squeeze in the garage with both cars, and I want the drivers side to get as close to the wall as possible. When I park it myself, I get as close to the wall as I can and still allow myself to get out the drivers side door. Ideally with auto-park, I'd like to get it even closer. But in practice it doesn't even get as close to the wall as I do when parking myself. Are there any tricks to getting it closer? I configured the settings for the tightest parking.

I'm guessing the problem is that it sees plenty of room on the right side, so it doesn't know to go closer to the wall on the left side

Since you want to park the car against the wall when the other car is not in the garage, until they adopt a function that allows tight parking on one side of the car regardless of the size of the space on the other, the only solution I see is to hang a moving curtain on across the garage (like in a hospital) and then the car *might* centre itself between the curtain and the wall. Once parked pull the curtain back for the other car to park.

But I want to see that Model S get out of that spot in the video above unscathed. Wow that is tight!

Here are the results of my experiments. With the car pointed straight into the garage, I tried various placements of a tall cardboard box in an attempt to get the car to turn towards the left side wall as it pulled in. I couldn't get this to work, the car would continue straight, and either get very close to the box, or it would see it as an obstacle and just stop before it. I couldn't get the car to turn away from the box to get closer to the left wall.

What ended up working better for me was to start with the car angled slightly towards the side wall. This way, as it's pulling in, it starts towards the wall, and gradually turns away from it. Using this technique, I can get the car pretty close to the left wall, to the point where I don't have enough room to open the door and get in.

I'm pretty happy with this. Now the hard part is talking myself and my wife into spending the additional $6k once the autopilot trial runs out. I've only had the car for about a month, so eating that extra $1k will be especially difficult. In the end I think that extra $1k will stop me from getting it for now.