Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I want to go from my P100D to a plaid(new or used) but should I wait for 2024?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to get a model S plaid and get out of my P100D. I'm wondering if I should opt for getting a used plaid that's hovering around 70k or just get a brand new one in the specs that I want. What would be the biggest differences between a 2021-22 to a new one? Or should I just wait for the 2024. Ultimately I would love to do the ultra red on white spec. Doesn't seem like ultra red was available before 2023

2021-22 (depending on when in 2022) will have older lights/charging port/headlights/hardware for MCU, etc. Some other tweaks were made too.

If price isn’t the issue, new one. I have a 2022 before all the fancy changes and they aren’t enough for me to trade in, but if I was buying now I’d certainly go new or at least 2023

Reactions: Jayskywalker21
Counter-point, the 2021's (not sure on 2022) still have ultrasonic sensors and you're not wholly reliant on Tesla Vision only for parking maneuvers.

I went with a used Plaid six months ago, with the lower prices now and the narrower delta between new and used just order what you want. Not sure about an S/X refresh next year as the queue is pretty full with Cybertruck, Model 3 Highland, Model Y Juniper and $25K vehicle dev. I could see a light interior refresh adding the colored LED's, performance seats and other small changes. Suspect a bigger S/X refresh may not hit until 2025.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jayskywalker21
Counter-point, the 2021's (not sure on 2022) still have ultrasonic sensors and you're not wholly reliant on Tesla Vision only for parking maneuvers.

I went with a used Plaid six months ago, with the lower prices now and the narrower delta between new and used just order what you want. Not sure about an S/X refresh next year as the queue is pretty full with Cybertruck, Model 3 Highland, Model Y Juniper and $25K vehicle dev. I could see a light interior refresh adding the colored LED's, performance seats and other small changes. Suspect a bigger S/X refresh may not hit until 2025.

As someone that has one with the ultrasonics, I can make a factual statement that they are fractionally as effective as they on the the model 3/Y. This thing is so bad I can't even use summon, because it will back out of a parking space and start jerking forward and backwards for no reason with no one around. Where as both of my 3's had zero issue doing a full summon from that exact spot.

So 1) don't waste money on FSD, and 2) if you do, neither the vision system or ultrasonics work, so both are functionally non-effective.

As someone that has one with the ultrasonics, I can make a factual statement that they are fractionally as effective as they on the the model 3/Y. This thing is so bad I can't even use summon, because it will back out of a parking space and start jerking forward and backwards for no reason with no one around. Where as both of my 3's had zero issue doing a full summon from that exact spot.

So 1) don't waste money on FSD, and 2) if you do, neither the vision system or ultrasonics work, so both are functionally non-effective.
Yeah I don't believe in FSD at all I don't even have it on my P100D now and it's 99$ a month. I still don't care for it.

Reactions: Sam1
Do you need the third row or have a fetish for ugly cars? If either, buy the X.
In this weird way, the X is “ugly cute” I don’t need the third row at all. I just like sitting higher up and I know the ride quality probably will be a little better BUT ride quality in my p100D s is already amazing. Idk something about going to Tesla today and seeing the X in ultra red did something to me lol

In this weird way, the X is “ugly cute” I don’t need the third row at all. I just like sitting higher up and I know the ride quality probably will be a little better BUT ride quality in my p100D s is already amazing. Idk something about going to Tesla today and seeing the X in ultra red did something to me lol
Understandable. From someone who has owned three Model S performance cars in Multi-coat red, Tesla's new Ultra Red is one of the best car colors I've ever seen. My next car will likely be a Model S Ultra Red/White Plaid (w/round wheel, of course) because that color is super secksi.

I just prefer the looks of the Model S to the Model X. My wife mostly drives the SUV and doesn't mind the lines on the SUVs as much. They're slightly more functional for the things we use it for so I'm glad one of us is fine w/driving the "ugly" ones. 😂

I also just saw the new Stealth Gray in person (on a Model X Plaid) as well and that's good lookin' color too. Our first Model S was MGM and if I could do anything to improve upon it it would be to make it slightly darker and a little bit more metallic. This new color is basically that and looks really good in person too.

If Tesla does something crazy for EoY to move some units I could see myself buying a Model X LR in Stealth Gray w/white interior to replace our 2023 blue/white Model Y that my wife drives. I'd holding out for them to offer a free interior color choice on top of the current free exterior color promo for a sub-$80k SUV to qualify for the tax credit for a color combo we want. After that would likely be an UR/White Model S Plaid.

Understandable. From someone who has owned three Model S performance cars in Multi-coat red, Tesla's new Ultra Red is one of the best car colors I've ever seen. My next car will likely be a Model S Ultra Red/White Plaid (w/round wheel, of course) because that color is super secksi.

I just prefer the looks of the Model S to the Model X. My wife mostly drives the SUV and doesn't mind the lines on the SUVs as much. They're slightly more functional for the things we use it for so I'm glad one of us is fine w/driving the "ugly" ones. 😂

I also just saw the new Stealth Gray in person (on a Model X Plaid) as well and that's good lookin' color too. Our first Model S was MGM and if I could do anything to improve upon it it would be to make it slightly darker and a little bit more metallic. This new color is basically that and looks really good in person too.

If Tesla does something crazy for EoY to move some units I could see myself buying a Model X LR in Stealth Gray w/white interior to replace our 2023 blue/white Model Y that my wife drives. I'd holding out for them to offer a free interior color choice on top of the current free exterior color promo for a sub-$80k SUV to qualify for the tax credit for a color combo we want. After that would likely be an UR/White Model S Plaid.
Likewise my first thought was Model S plaid UR/white. We legit have the same taste because I want the white interior for all the colors and my second choice would’ve been the stealth grey and white lol. Does the tax credit apply like right when you purchase the vehicle? Really don’t understand how the tax credit works.

Likewise my first thought was Model S plaid UR/white. We legit have the same taste because I want the white interior for all the colors and my second choice would’ve been the stealth grey and white lol. Does the tax credit apply like right when you purchase the vehicle? Really don’t understand how the tax credit works.
Our last couple Teslas have been the Ultra White interior and I don't see us ever doing anything else after having had all options.

The federal tax credit is a $7,500 credit that you get at the time you do your taxes. You need to have at least a $7,500 tax liability to realize the incentive. Some states also have a state-issued EV credit and some are at the point of sale, some aren't. Colorado was a PoS credit previously but currently you have to float the funds until you file your taxes. Being as it's a whopping $5,000 I'm fine with that.

If we bought a Model X before EoY and it was under $80k (the black interior is our only hang-up at this point) it would be worth $12,500 in tax incentives to use making it a net of $67,500 for a Model X LR w/exterior color choice. That's pretty crazy when about a year ago you would have paid about that for a Model Y LR before tax credits.

Our last couple Teslas have been the Ultra White interior and I don't see us ever doing anything else after having had all options.

The federal tax credit is a $7,500 credit that you get at the time you do your taxes. You need to have at least a $7,500 tax liability to realize the incentive. Some states also have a state-issued EV credit and some are at the point of sale, some aren't. Colorado was a PoS credit previously but currently you have to float the funds until you file your taxes. Being as it's a whopping $5,000 I'm fine with that.

If we bought a Model X before EoY and it was under $80k (the black interior is our only hang-up at this point) it would be worth $12,500 in tax incentives to use making it a net of $67,500 for a Model X LR w/exterior color choice. That's pretty crazy when about a year ago you would have paid about that for a Model Y LR before tax credits.
Gotcha, ok that makes sense. And yes agreed sucks the interior change takes it over the top. Maybe things are different when the 2024s come out and we’ll see better pricing on the options so we can get the white interior and still take advantage of the tax credit

Have you thought about using section 179?(if you have a business) I’ve been doing a bit more research trying to see if there’s other ways to get a write off or credit

Have you thought about using section 179?(if you have a business) I’ve been doing a bit more research trying to see if there’s other ways to get a write off or credit
TBH I got out of the business ownership realm recently and it's been FAR less stress. Well worth whatever hit to my income I took.

That said, you should really research these massive cap cost depreciation deductions and the gains paid downstream if you ever realize a "profit" compared to the deductions you took claiming it was worth less than it really was. The reality is that the IRS will get their money at some point and this "loop hole" isn't quite the boon that many believe it is. It saves on taxes short term but can impact your tax situation negatively long-term depending on income brackets and such.

I'm no tax expert but I have a lot of friends who played that depreciation game that are now trying to sell off assets and running into big headaches trying to offset gains they now owe due to the "profit" they'd see based on the depreciation they claimed previously. All I'm saying is to look into all aspects as I feel many times tax experts can get too focused on the now and what is owed this year for tax liability and tend to lose sight of the bigger financial picture.

Many people will misinterpret “You need to have at least a $7,500 tax liability to realize the incentive” as meaning that you have at least a $7.500 balance due to the IRS at the endo of the year after whatever withholding and/or prepayments you’ve made for the year. That is not correct.

You simply must have federal income tax of $7,500 or more for the year, whether you’ve already paid it or not, to qualify for the tax credit.

If at the end of the year you owe a balance of less than $7,500, the difference can either be refunded to you or applied to your 2024 taxes.

Reactions: Sam1