Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wanted to avoid posting this - windshield issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Helpful to who ? All we want (at least all I want) is Tesla to tell me, hey Electricity (i think i allready wrote this above).. we spoke with the makers of the glass, this error occured in so and so process , they got it down now and expect a new glass in 6 months ? 3 years ? Thats all I'm asking for really and if they cant fix it , then tell me.. we are asking some other company, or we will make a few custom glasses for the troubled users and replace them for you in 3 months, 5 years.. etc.
Every Tesla rep is different. At least one rep has responded in the way you requested:
We are investigating the root cause, and you will be given priority once a solution is available. This has been reported to your service center and our engineering team.
Send @onesixeight a PM and ask him/her to provide you with the Tesla contact information (or ask him/her to have the Tesla rep contact you).

Found just one nhtsa complaint about this. But looks like there are quite a few people with this double vision problem.

Date Complaint Filed: 06/03/2016
Date of Incident: 04/27/2016
Component(s): VISIBILITY/WIPER
NHTSA ID Number: 10872285
Consumer Location: REDWOOD CITY, C

• Crash:No
  • Fire:No
  • Number of Injuries:0
  • Number of Deaths:0
Manufacturer: Tesla Motors, Inc.
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJXCBE45GF...
SUMMARY:
WINDSHIELD SUFFERS FROM A "DOUBLE VISION" PROBLEM THAT IS NOTICEABLY PRONOUNCED AT NIGHT TIME WITH ONCOMING HEADLIGHTS, STREETLIGHTS, ETC. SEEMS TO BE A COMMONLY REPORTED ITEM IN ONLINE DISCUSSION FORUMS, AND MAY POSE A SAFETY PROBLEM WHEN DRIVING AT NIGHT BY CAUSING DRIVER CONFUSION.

Every Tesla rep is different. At least one rep has responded in the way you requested:

Send @onesixeight a PM and ask him/her to provide you with the Tesla contact information (or ask him/her to have the Tesla rep contact you).

Nope that is not what I want to hear, actually I was told the same thing. It sounds to me like they are investigating if others have this issue , I mean i was asked for pictures! What I want to hear is word from the supplier saying, yeah we got the process down or no it will take so and so time to learn to make this glass or no, we told Tesla to look elsewhere. Its glass. Whatbis there to investigate

Nope that is not what I want to hear, actually I was told the same thing. It sounds to me like they are investigating if others have this issue , I mean i was asked for pictures! What I want to hear is word from the supplier saying, yeah we got the process down or no it will take so and so time to learn to make this glass or no, we told Tesla to look elsewhere. Its glass. Whatbis there to investigate
I realize that English may not be your first language, but that post I quoted clearly states that "they are investigating the root cause", which means that they are trying to find the source of the problem. That last update has nothing to do with trying to determine if others are having this problem.

If I were Tesla, I too would be asking for pictures of all issues so that I could determine which people would actually benefit from a new windshield (customers have reported various degrees of ghosting, some bad, some mild and some with no ghosting) and which ones should get theirs replaced first.

And you're not going to be hearing from the supplier, as Tesla is the one who is responsible for the vehicle, so all updates will come from Tesla. This so-called "glass" is way more advanced than what was used 50 years ago. There are many layers sandwiched together to make a product that is strong, safe, long-lasting, reflects UV, reflects heat, allows penetrating RF, etc.

@electricity, you seem like a reasonable person, so why are you all hell-bent in always trying to find a new angle and something new to complain about? Take a deep breath and step back to get the big picture.

i get this believe me. I also understand that they probably went with them for many good reasons but, The windshield is EXTREMELY important to safety. You dont experiment with this. You dont venture out to a new place for a fun cool new feature! and dont get me wrong, i LOVE the windshield during the day. I want Tesla to tell me, Electricity the supplier told us to wait 3 years and we will get you a perfect windshield, then i would say fine! I love the car so much during the day i will avoid driving at night. Cool. But to tell me after weeks , to tell me "we dont know, some people have it others dont, we will let u know when we find a solution" is super uncool.
Tesla should replace the windshield with a windshield that doesn't gave ghostin if they say that some do and some don't. You didn't order the ghosting. This should be the temporary solution until they figure out the manufacturing issue. If they start losing enough money replacing windshields I guarantee they will solve the issue immediately or change suppliers very quickly.

I realize that English may not be your first language, but that post I quoted clearly states that "they are investigating the root cause", which means that they are trying to find the source of the problem. That last update has nothing to do with trying to determine if others are having this problem.

If I were Tesla, I too would be asking for pictures of all issues so that I could determine which people would actually benefit from a new windshield (customers have reported various degrees of ghosting, some bad, some mild and some with no ghosting) and which ones should get theirs replaced first.

And you're not going to be hearing from the supplier, as Tesla is the one who is responsible for the vehicle, so all updates will come from Tesla. This so-called "glass" is way more advanced than what was used 50 years ago. There are many layers sandwiched together to make a product that is strong, safe, long-lasting, reflects UV, reflects heat, allows penetrating RF, etc.

@electricity, you seem like a reasonable person, so why are you all hell-bent in always trying to find a new angle and something new to complain about? Take a deep breath and step back to get the big picture.

Something new to complain about ? What are u talking about. Understand that this is not unique to this glass, i personaly saw ghosting in a different car what is there to investigate ? Root cause? Really ? You dont think the supplier knows what happened ?

Tesla should replace the windshield with a windshield that doesn't gave ghostin if they say that some do and some don't. You didn't order the ghosting. This should be the temporary solution until they figure out the manufacturing issue. If they start losing enough money replacing windshields I guarantee they will solve the issue immediately or change suppliers very quickly.

They didnt say some do and some dont, they said "few people complained about it" which makes me worry they are not doing much about it. The reason i started this thread is because i want faster action on this , which i wanted to avoid because the love to the company.

The only seem to do security glass for those companies though. Probably different requirements, special regulations and people more forgiving regarding ghosting when it will stop a bullet and save their life.
It would be cool if Elon announces, oh and btw, Model-X windshields have bullet-resistant glass! ;)
With all the recent shootings in the U.S., now would be a good time for such an announcement.
Unfortunately, my Model-X windshield doesn't appear to be bullet-resistant, so I'm not holding my breath.

Found just one nhtsa complaint about this. But looks like there are quite a few people with this double vision problem.

SUMMARY:
WINDSHIELD SUFFERS FROM A "DOUBLE VISION" PROBLEM THAT IS NOTICEABLY PRONOUNCED AT NIGHT TIME WITH ONCOMING HEADLIGHTS, STREETLIGHTS, ETC. SEEMS TO BE A COMMONLY REPORTED ITEM IN ONLINE DISCUSSION FORUMS, AND MAY POSE A SAFETY PROBLEM WHEN DRIVING AT NIGHT BY CAUSING DRIVER CONFUSION.

SUMMARY:

It looks like most of the NHTSA complaints for Model X are reported by a third party who is reading the forums looking for problems and then submitting them to the NHTSA.

It would be cool if Elon announces, oh and btw, Model-X windshields have bullet-resistant glass! ;)
With all the recent shootings in the U.S., now would be a good time for such an announcement.
Unfortunately, my Model-X windshield doesn't appear to be bullet-resistant, so I'm not holding my breath.

I grew up in East LA (one of the rougher neighborhoods in Los Angeles) and it's something I've never worried about. The US is going through a spate of craziness with shootings, but it's a big country and the majority of us have never been near that kind of violence.

It's much like this:
Meme: Putting Statistics in Perspective

None of the people who were shot would have been in an X anyway. Bullet proof glass would also add several hundred pounds of weight to the car which would reduce range even further.

• Informative
Reactions: Roentgen

Interesting idea. Would anyone be willing to fire a .357 magnum at the windshield from the front of the hood? Please report on results..

They didnt say some do and some dont, they said "few people complained about it" which makes me worry they are not doing much about it. The reason i started this thread is because i want faster action on this , which i wanted to avoid because the love to the company.
I was just responding to what you said they said in the the quote "we dont know, some people have it others dont, we will let u know when we find a solution" is super uncool."