Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I70 Closure!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have (and I was looking forward to it again - but I'll be back in the summer headed to Salt Lake City). I always tell people "When you think interstates are boring and that you don't see anything fascinating without taking back roads then take I-70 thru Glenwood Canyon."

I think I saw somewhere that the 12 mile stretch thru Glenwood Canyon is the most expensive interstate ($/mile) ever built?
I think I read that H3 in Hawai'i is now considered the most expensive. Nevertheless, I watched I-70 through Glenwood Canyon get built over more than a decade. It was a fascinating process to watch as the freeway got extended and the remaining stretch of two lane US 6 got shorter. It got a lot of criticism from budget hawks in Congress for the expense. But it sure is gorgeous engineering. When it isn't covered by rockfall...

Here in mountain Colorado rocks on the road are a routine sight, especially this time of the year with freeze/thaw temperatures loosening them.

We made from Winter Park to Grand Junction last night.... A LONG day. 10.5 hours of travel total, 5.5 of driving, 3 hours charging in Steamboat, 2 hours sitting by the side of the road waiting for a semitruck accident to clear east of Rabbit Ears Pass.

I drove slowly from SB to GJ and drafted a semi for probably 80 miles, so I was able to skip the backtrack to Glenwood Springs.

We made from Winter Park to Grand Junction last night.... A LONG day. 10.5 hours of travel total, 5.5 of driving, 3 hours charging in Steamboat, 2 hours sitting by the side of the road waiting for a semitruck accident to clear east of Rabbit Ears Pass.

I drove slowly from SB to GJ and drafted a semi for probably 80 miles, so I was able to skip the backtrack to Glenwood Springs.

Glad to hear that you made it. I hope the rest of your journey is easier. The Tamarisk Restaurant (Google Maps) is a good stop for lunch in Green River.

I-70 through Glenwood may open on Thursday, but that will be one shared lane only with pilot cars leading convoys through, one direction at a time. They are now talking weeks or more before the road is completely open again.

I-70 Closed In Glenwood Canyon Due To Rock Slides Until Thursday At The Earliest CBS Denver for some recent pictures.