Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IC Burn-in picture?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

verygreen

Curious member
Jan 16, 2017
TN
(this would really benefit if there was a common section across all cars I guess, but I guess I'll settle on the X so far).

So I noticed lately that when I come to my car sitting plugged in for some time and press the brake pedal, there is a bit of a "burn in" on the IC - you can clearly see the remaining charge in miles in big digits in front of the car on the display which is not supposed to happen. The image does eventually fade away but this is worrying me now in case it becomes more permanent.

I think the change in behavior is connected to me recently changing the settings to disable energy savings. One of the things it does is it keeps the IC LCD always displaying picture during the day hours (backlight is off so you cannot see it) leading to increased burn-in?

I wonder if anybody else is seeing this? Here is a picture I snapped - it's visible more with the eyes, but at least you get the idea.
IMG_20180906_132602.jpg

Most likely what you’re seeing is LCD ghosting (or image persistence), which does affect a lot of LCD panel technologies when showing the same thing for a long period of time.

It will slowly fade away, and the fade away can be accelerated by either strobing a bunch of solid colors or through a special reset that drains accumulated charge if the hardware has support for that.

Either way, unlike OLED burn in, this isn’t permanent and doesn’t damage the display.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
yeah, I agree it's not entirely permanent, but I have not even heard about this being discussed anywhere and I think it only appeared recently on my car (as in I literally noticed it for the first time earlier this week).

Does this happen when your headlights are not on as well? Could only be visible because the days are getting shorter and the white where the numbers are is whiter from the image retention (IR) even though it might not be visible (or so noticeable) if white wasn't being sent to that part of the screen for the headlights.