TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

ICE parking on Charging Station spots ticketable in Florida

Discussion in 'Florida' started by NigelM, Apr 20, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the photos.

We'll see if we can plan an event when you return. :smile:

Regards,

Larry

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

#22 NigelM, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
    So we got signs installed at the spots just walking distance from my house. The installer asked me to take my car over and check the units were now live....They are but even with signage the spots were ICE'd, now seriously folks no-one saw all the signs and bollards? And the car park was maybe 20% occupied when I took this photo:

Picture1.jpg

Good news.....at least a Volt was able to make the cable reach:

photo 2.JPG

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

When cars are left on the side of the road (overnight), they get marked on the glass so that the days/weeks the vehicle is there can be easily tracked by the authorities for (I presume) towing purposes.

Perhaps they should do the same thing when an ICE parks in a dedicated EV spot -- mark up the glass with "I'm an idiot or just a jerk for parking my ICE in an EV spot." Shame can often be effective.

If they do this, they need to do some education first so that they don't start marking Tesla Roadsters like they were doing in one of the other threads here.

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I have small notes in my car which I just leave on the windscreens, reading as follows:

5. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Perhaps print up official-looking slips that say something like:

Pursuant to state law [fill in statute cite], vehicles parked in designated EV charging locations are subject to towing.

Put in blanks for license plate, date, and initials at the bottom, then fill them in and leave them under the wiper blade. Of course, do not include language that could be taken to be impersonate a law officer!

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

A Volt-driving friend down here prints these cards and leaves them on windscreens when he's ICE'd:

Untitled.jpg

BTW, here in Sarasota the City Commission just voted to make the parking fine $35.00

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

You could have lasers and neon designating EV spots. If ICErs don't care, they don't care. Money or jail-time is the only effective (legal) deterrent.

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Just a teensy, tiny bit over the top? :biggrin:...Or does that explain prison over-crowding in California? :wink:

9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I typed jail-time but was thinking sniper nests.

10. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

It does say "a vehicle that is not capable of using an electric recharging station within any parking space specifically designated for charging a vehicle" - doesn't that mean a Roadster parked in a CHAdeMO spot would not be capable of using that charging station?

Given the comments elsewhere on this forum, officers have enough trouble recognizing Roadsters as EVs - I doubt they could tell if a particular EV could charge on a particular connector. I guess this is why California went with the 'plugged in' legislation.

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

We had enough "paddle advocates" to fight for not parking in a space you can't actually use.

12. Larry Chanin

#32 Larry Chanin, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
    Hi Nigel,

Thanks for all your efforts in checking out these local chargers.

I really didn't have a good opportunity to spend time with Allison Albee with the City of Sarasota Public Works Department, but she did tell me this morning that the city planned to eventually paint the lines green, but we have to be patient.

I believe that the city just voted this week on an ordinance that would levy a $35 fine.

Larry

13. Botbldr45

Botbldr45 Member

F... yeah!!!

14. kvietor

kvietor Model S S280 VIN 168

Notice the charging stations just happen to be in the shade. Probably why the signs were ignored.

- - - Updated - - -

15. Larry Chanin

Hi Eric,

Forum member Ken Stokes took this photo of the first EV parking spot violation ticket. He entitles the photo "First Prize Winner".

20120919_181729_resized.jpg

This guy really determined to make a statement. Check out the tire contact with the bollard protecting the brand new charger.

20120919_181821_resized.jpg

Larry

16. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

In summer, I seek out parking slots in the shade since the car is way cooler inside when I return. I even take into account the time I will be away from the vehicle and where the shadows will wander during that time.
    It appears to me that the charging spot was erected in a place attractive to all drivers. I suggest nudging local authorities into solar canopies.

17. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

#37 NigelM, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

LOL!!! Seriously laughing out loud....that blue durango is the same one I left one of my polite notes on just 2 days ago. This guy deserves it. :biggrin:

18. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Small victories!

19. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Looks like despite his best efforts a Volt was able to charge anyway! :smile:

20. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

You bet! Want to know the craziest part?....that car park is NEVER full. The day I was there it was maybe 1/3 occupied. The parking area comprises 2 long rows so in the photo you can see that the entire row behind the cars towards the grass is completely empty; that's approximately 30ft away! :rolleyes: