Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE parking on Charging Station spots ticketable in Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we got signs installed at the spots just walking distance from my house. The installer asked me to take my car over and check the units were now live....They are but even with signage the spots were ICE'd, now seriously folks no-one saw all the signs and bollards? And the car park was maybe 20% occupied when I took this photo:

Picture1.jpg

Good news.....at least a Volt was able to make the cable reach:

photo 2.JPG

Last edited:
When cars are left on the side of the road (overnight), they get marked on the glass so that the days/weeks the vehicle is there can be easily tracked by the authorities for (I presume) towing purposes.

Perhaps they should do the same thing when an ICE parks in a dedicated EV spot -- mark up the glass with "I'm an idiot or just a jerk for parking my ICE in an EV spot." Shame can often be effective.

If they do this, they need to do some education first so that they don't start marking Tesla Roadsters like they were doing in one of the other threads here.

I have small notes in my car which I just leave on the windscreens, reading as follows:

Fellow car owner,
You parked in an Electric Vehicle only charging spot. This prevented me from plugging in and charging my car (equivalent to me preventing you from entering a gas station). It would be really appreciated if you leave this space for electric vehicles.
Tip: Since July 1[SUP]st[/SUP] 2012 Florida has a new statute which provides fines and towing for gas cars illegally parked on electric vehicle charging spots. I probably just saved you a bunch of money by letting you know.
Thank you.

Perhaps print up official-looking slips that say something like:

Pursuant to state law [fill in statute cite], vehicles parked in designated EV charging locations are subject to towing.

Put in blanks for license plate, date, and initials at the bottom, then fill them in and leave them under the wiper blade. Of course, do not include language that could be taken to be impersonate a law officer!

Hi Eric,

Florida has a statute that imposses fines and towing. However, these are newly installed chargers and the locals are not accustomed to looking for the EV signs quoting the statute. I feel painting the parking space to make it more obvious will assist in detering ICEing for those who did not deliberately intend to park in an EV space.

Larry

You could have lasers and neon designating EV spots. If ICErs don't care, they don't care. Money or jail-time is the only effective (legal) deterrent.

I wish it did more to say the specific charging station in question.

For instance, I think a LEAF could park in front of a Tesla station, or a Roadster could park in front of a CHAdeMO.
Not all EV parking spots are equivalent.

It does say "a vehicle that is not capable of using an electric recharging station within any parking space specifically designated for charging a vehicle" - doesn't that mean a Roadster parked in a CHAdeMO spot would not be capable of using that charging station?

Given the comments elsewhere on this forum, officers have enough trouble recognizing Roadsters as EVs - I doubt they could tell if a particular EV could charge on a particular connector. I guess this is why California went with the 'plugged in' legislation.

So we got signs installed at the spots just walking distance from my house. The installer asked me to take my car over and check the units were now live....They are but even with signage the spots were ICE'd, now seriously folks no-one saw all the signs and bollards? And the car park was maybe 20% occupied when I took this photo:

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for all your efforts in checking out these local chargers.

I really didn't have a good opportunity to spend time with Allison Albee with the City of Sarasota Public Works Department, but she did tell me this morning that the city planned to eventually paint the lines green, but we have to be patient.

I believe that the city just voted this week on an ordinance that would levy a $35 fine.

Larry

Last edited:
Notice the charging stations just happen to be in the shade. Probably why the signs were ignored.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 9859

Good news.....at least a Volt was able to make the cable reach:

View attachment 9855

Notice the charging stations just happen to be in the shade. Probably why the signs were ignored.

In summer, I seek out parking slots in the shade since the car is way cooler inside when I return. I even take into account the time I will be away from the vehicle and where the shadows will wander during that time.
It appears to me that the charging spot was erected in a place attractive to all drivers. I suggest nudging local authorities into solar canopies.