Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE Range Anxiety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
DSM, here's the picture you missed:

RangeAnxiety.png

:)

For those viewing on a small screen, the red "box" behind the shouldered vehicle is a gas container.

Last edited:
There's a conference I go to in the southeast corner of New York State every year. It's an 8 hour drive from here, but I used to be able to do it in one tank in my Infiniti G37. Upstate New York is still a charging station wasteland, so I rented a car this year and left my Model S at home (sob!).

I asked for a full size, and Budget gave me a Ford Escape. How does full size car = compact SUV? Anyway, turns out it has a small gas tank and crappy fuel economy. So it took THREE fill-ups to get to my destination. That was getting annoying.

The way back was worse. There's a lot of lonely highway between there and home, and since I was getting low on gas (again!) I decided to stop at a gas station that I'd been to before. Unfortunately it had gone out of business. Interchange after interchange and there was no sign of any gas stations. When finally I spotted a station, I was really on fumes. This was my first experience with "range anxiety", and it was in a gas car.

the worst Range Anxiety I ever had was on an ICE car. Driving down highway 1 along the California coast. I did not think about it ahead of time, but there are very few gas stations along it and very few places to even pull over and no cell service (well AT&T at least) for long stretches.

It's a beautiful drive, but I was missed much of it as the miles dropped to 0 on the computer with no gas stations in sight. I did finally find one, but the range had been at 0 for about 15 miles...

We are going to try to do it with the Model S next summer (Atascadero to Gilroy along the 1 is only about 170 miles) Hopefully it will be less stressful. :)