Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IDK If anyone has predicted this yet but...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These are always interesting stunts. I remember when Toyota towed the Space Shuttle with a Tundra. Loaded weight of the shuttle and towing gear at the time was 300,000 pounds. See here: Autotrader - page unavailable

And - there’s a video of a 5-cylinder Ford Ranger (diesel) towing a steam locomotive. This was a pretty impressive feat as these old locomotives don’t really roll as smoothly as some of the newer tow dollies/trailers. The locomotive weighed around 320,000 pounds
Here: Ford Ranger Tows Steam Locomotive - Autonews

should be a show nonetheless.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
These are always interesting stunts. I remember when Toyota towed the Space Shuttle with a Tundra. Loaded weight of the shuttle and towing gear at the time was 300,000 pounds. See here: Autotrader - page unavailable

And - there’s a video of a 5-cylinder Ford Ranger (diesel) towing a steam locomotive. This was a pretty impressive feat as these old locomotives don’t really roll as smoothly as some of the newer tow dollies/trailers. The locomotive weighed around 320,000 pounds
Here: Ford Ranger Tows Steam Locomotive - Autonews

should be a show nonetheless.
I wonder if other pickup manufacturers slapped their heads and thought, "What a cool idea! Why didn't we offer to tow the Space Shuttle?"

I wonder if other pickup manufacturers slapped their heads and thought, "What a cool idea! Why didn't we offer to tow the Space Shuttle?"

Yeah - you wonder how Toyota got that deal. Seems like some American car company should have been all over that.

interesting enough, anything with 400 lb-ft of torque could pull the shuttle. They lowered the air pressure in the tires and put 1700 pounds of weight in the bed so the tires wouldn’t slip. These types of stunts have nothing to do with conventional towing capacity.

Let the show go on!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah - you wonder how Toyota got that deal. Seems like some American car company should have been all over that.

interesting enough, anything with 400 lb-ft of torque could pull the shuttle. They lowered the air pressure in the tires and put 1700 pounds of weight in the bed so the tires wouldn’t slip. These types of stunts have nothing to do with conventional towing capacity.

Let the show go on!
It does seem like a pickup truck with low range gearing could generate huge torque to the wheels. After you fill the cab and bed with lead it seems like the limit would be strength of the axles and transfer case. It’s a very silly test.

Agree that pulling a Semi would make a good impression. The rocket thing also makes sense.

The one thing I would bet never happening...is paying a hipster actor who had nothing to do with the development to MC the event :)

They might, however have a couple of the drivers that did the testing at the N-Ring say a few things about Tesla Plaid Power.

The whole automotive world is waiting in anticipation to see what Tesla has cooked up for us.

...Pulling a 3?

You change the names to Cybertruck pulling a 3, S, X, and Y. (The Roadster is in front with a yellow flashing light)
four-car-trailer.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Reeler
  • Informative
Reactions: hydro 481